Possible chicken wing shortage looms ahead of Super Bowl: EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

First it was bacon, now it's chicken wings. With less than two weeks to go before the big game, football fans may find it a bit harder to find their favorite Super Bowl snack.

The National Chicken Council released a report that said the demand for wings this year is at “an all-time high” due to decreased wing production caused by the high cost of corn and feed prices. Wings are currently the highest priced portion of a chicken and cost $2.11 a pound in the Northeast, up 12 percent from last year.

The organization has lowered the estimated number of wings to be consumed during Super Bowl weekend to 1.23 billion wing segments, 12.3 million less than last year. That's about 1 percent, says the council.

“Chicken companies produced about 1 percent fewer birds last year, due in large part to record high corn and feed prices,” Bill Roenigk, chief economist and market analyst at the Washington, D.C.-based National Chicken Council said in a release. “Corn makes up more than two-thirds of chicken feed and corn prices hit an all-time high in 2012, due to two reasons: last summer’s drought and pressure from a federal government requirement that mandates 40 percent of our corn crop be turned into fuel in the form of ethanol. Simply put, less corn equals higher feed costs, which means fewer birds produced.”

Americans are serious about their chicken wings. Second only to Thanksgiving, Super Bowl weekend is the biggest eating day of the year, and chicken wings are the most popular dish. To give you a picture of just how many wings fan will chow down on, The National Chicken Council says if those 1.23 billion chicken wing segments were laid end to end, they would stretch between the San Francisco 49ers Candlestick Park and the Baltimore Ravens M&T Bank Stadium 27 times.

Last year, gastronomes were sent into a tizzy at the news of a possible shortage of another American comfort food stable: bacon. Due to rising food costs and drought, prices for bacon and other pork products are expected to rise as much as 10 percent this year, but chefs and home cooks breathed a collective sigh of relief as U.S. agricultural economists dismissed reports of a global bacon shortage.

As far as the wings are concerned Roenigk said you may have to pay more, but there will be wings aplenty --no matter who you're rooting for.

“The good news for consumers is that restaurants plan well in advance to ensure they have plenty of wings for the big game,” he said.

So don't forget the TUMS.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013...hortage-looms-ahead-super-bowl/#ixzz2IqVZscw3
I'm sure this is, in no way, a ploy to drive up prices during a time of high demand. Nope, not at all.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
“The good news for consumers is that restaurants plan well in advance to ensure they have plenty of wings for the big game,” he said.
At $5 a wing.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
There's never a menthol, malt liquor or grape soda shortage is there.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
So there's all these chickens running around wit no wings right?

I say fuck um.

Tss

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
There's never a menthol, malt liquor or grape soda shortage is there.
Not so in my neck of the woods. The particular brand of swill I imbibe has changed distributors around here and the shelves are fucking bare. I could venture deeper into the trenches to acquire the cheapest of brews but Id rather just give my liver a rest.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I could have sworn they said the same thing last year.
Well, they did in 2009

Will there be a buffalo wing shortage for the Super Bowl?

By Chris Chase
Everyone has been affected by the ongoing economic crisis in different ways, whether it be through layoffs, pay cuts, rising prices or investing with guys named Bernie. But recent news suggests the worst is yet to come, for there may be a chicken wing shortage in America.

With prices for chicken wings skyrocketing and demand outpacing supply, some areas of the country may see a decrease in the availability of one of the nation's favorite game day meals.

A major chicken wing producer in Texas filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy late last year, which has cut back production of the product. That, coupled with the Super Bowl demand, has forced chicken wing futures up 10 cents this year, putting a burden on restaurants and food suppliers. (And, yes, chicken wings are sold on the commodities market. If you don't know what that is, watch the movie "Trading Places" for a brief lesson.)

Ironically, the home of the buffalo wing (upstate New York) may be hardest hit by the price-hike and shortage. That'd be like Philadelphia running out of cheesesteaks or Pittsburgh running out of mustaches.

Super Bowl Sunday is traditionally the biggest wing day of the year, with four percent of all annual sales occurring for the game.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...ffalo-wing-shortage-for-the-Su?urn=nfl,136743

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
They come out with the same thing often, over inflates the price of already inflated priced cuts. But hey, the sauce is good.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.

"They" did. Exact same thing and at the same time.

It's all part of big Ag's ploy to raise prices so the banksters can herd the sheeple into submission and force them to register their chicken wings maaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
I'm gonna start wing hoarding tomorrow

Giant has 4 lb. bags for $8.99
And Franks wing sauce at 2 for $4

I'd start tonight
But it's cold outside

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I'm gonna start wing hoarding tomorrow

Giant has 4 lb. bags for $8.99
And Franks wing sauce at 2 for $4

I'd start tonight
But it's cold outside
Franks stinks.

There, I said it.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I like the hot sauce ...But I usually make my own wing sauce...If you use Frank's wing sauce, you probably use Ragu or Prego on Spaghetti too.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
we just need to start growing chickens with more wings. what are they, slackers?

look at this go-getter turkey

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
I like the hot sauce ...But I usually make my own wing sauce...If you use Frank's wing sauce, you probably use Ragu or Prego on Spaghetti too.

Nothing wrong with Prego
And Franks Wing Sauce is pretty much Franks Hot Sauce with butter already in it

Fuckin' snobs