Possible good news for O&A on CBS

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Radio & Records just reported that Adam Carolla's contract has been extended a few years:

Adam Carolla signs a multi-year extension with CBS Radio locking in his morning drive show on flagship CBS Radio talk KLSX/Los Angeles. In the summer the show posted its highest morning drive numbers in Los Angeles ranking top 5 among Men 18-34 and Men 25-54.

KLSX is in the shitter overall, just like K-Rock is here, yet Adam still got a contract renewal. His most recent ratings were his highest ever and that was good enough for top 5 with the younger male demos.

Even when O&A were as low as 18th or 19th place overall, they were still in the top 5 with men 18-34, men 18-49 & men 25-54. This past spring they got up to 13th overall and were top 3 in those same demos. They have two more ratings books before their contract gets renewed (or doesn't). They're doing better than Carolla in a bigger market, while still sharing an audience with XM. Maybe the writing isn't on the wall quite yet.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I really think they need this merger decided ASAP. If it goes through or not, they need to know where they stand on satellite radio. Because I don't think it's just a question of if CBS will renew them. I think they are really questioning if they want to deal with the ever increasing rules on CBS. Of course, XM hasn't been much better with increasing rules so why turn down the increased audience?

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
Even when O&A were as low as 18th or 19th place overall, they were still in the top 5 with men 18-34, men 18-49 & men 25-54. This past spring they got up to 13th overall and were top 3 in those same demos.
And those are the ones that they get paid to do (per the advertisers).

They're doing better than Carolla in a bigger market, while still sharing an audience with XM. Maybe the writing isn't on the wall quite yet.
Bigger, and more, markets that they are doing well in, too.

I think they are really questioning if they want to deal with the ever increasing rules on CBS. Of course, XM hasn't been much better with increasing rules so why turn down the increased audience?
When you look at the last few weeks of radio, both sides two of the show's signature bits: Egg Nog Drinking Contest (XM nixed it for the merger, and CBS's lawyers enjoy cock) and The Homeless Shopping Spree (CBS didn't want to interrupt Red Hot Chili Peppers for three hours on the weekend).

I don't doubt that they will get a contract renewal if the ratings that they have stay the same or get better. But, in the end, it will be up to O&A to decide whether to have a smaller audience on XM only, where increased corporate censorship could be looming with the merger decision...or stay with CBS and deal with their rules, which are getting worse day to day.

One thing is certain though, Stern trolls will call them failures either way they go.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Ratings won't matter if the merger goes through. Mel has already said that he dosn't want to share content with terrestrial.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Under an approved merger Melvin and the Fucknuts would nix any CBS deal. Melvin just wants to buy Howie an audience and jump start his commercial machine.

No O&A, no SIRI/XM for me.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Ratings won't matter if the merger goes through. Mel has already said that he dosn't want to share content with terrestrial.
Mel says a lot of things...

Bubba The Love Sponge Returns To Regular Radio

Bubba The Love Sponge is primed to make his return to the Tampa and Jacksonville morning airwaves under a new deal with Cox Radio. His new morning show will be broadcast on WHPT/Tampa and on WFYV/Jacksonville starting on January 8, 2008.

Bubba will also continue to host his national show on Sirius Satellite Radio from 3 to 7 p.m.
It's not technically sharing content, but it's sharing "talent" in a way that could make the exclusive Sirius show suffer.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
The boys are smart, so long as someone's willing to keep them on terrestrial radio then they'll stay there.

Why would you turn away listeners? Rules or not, you want the most people possible listening to your show.

EnwordLips

Nov 13, 2007
Mel says a lot of things...

Bubba The Love Sponge Returns To Regular Radio

It's not technically sharing content, but it's sharing "talent" in a way that could make the exclusive Sirius show suffer.
I am surprised he allowed that. I figured THAT is the good news or the boys. Mel is now a little moreopen to the idea of sharing with regular radio.

But supposedly they were deadset against it and Howard stepped in and greased the wheels and it was done immediately

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
The boys are smart, so long as someone's willing to keep them on terrestrial radio then they'll stay there.

Why would you turn away listeners? Rules or not, you want the most people possible listening to your show.
Even if it costs you your integrity?

If they are to continue on FM than they have to do things their way. At some point you have to make a stand and let people know it's either your way or nothing.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island

If they are to continue on FM than they have to do things their way. At some point you have to make a stand and let people know it's either your way or nothing.
I have to agree. The only reason they've been tolerating the rules on FM is because they have the XM outlet as well. Back in the WNEW days, they would've fought tooth and nail to do HSS and Eggnog Challenge.

Now (and I hate to say this, but it's the way i see it), the freedom of the XM side is making them complacent on the FM side, and the larger audience of the FM side is making them take the XM side for granted. The conflict between the two is slowly degrading the quality of the show.

And it's only since the Imus incident that this has seriously affected the show. I think the boys have been trying to wait it out until either the CBS brass loosen up their grip, or they're forced back to XM only. It looks like it's going to be the latter.

Personally, I think it'll be a step forward instead of backward. Pre-Imus, the main problem I had with the CBS show was the constant commercial breaks that interrupted the flow of the show. Now, the restrictions they've placed on the show is too big a price to pay for a relatively small increase in listeners.

EnwordLips

Nov 13, 2007

Isnt a big reason they are on FM is to try and attract listeners to XM? They probably do not want to commit fully to one side unless they have to. Like when they were suspended they were still on FM. If they ended up getting fired they'd like to not be totally off the air

livebackwards

Proud Patron of Ted's Conglomerated Gasmaskery
Jan 29, 2006
Houston, TX
Isnt a big reason they are on FM is to try and attract listeners to XM? They probably do not want to commit fully to one side unless they have to. Like when they were suspended they were still on FM. If they ended up getting fired they'd like to not be totally off the air
Never thought I'd say this to you, but I agree. Part of O&A's early brilliance in balancing FM and XM was how well they played the two "girlfriends" against each other. Unfortunately the merger seems to be throwing off the power balance and fucking everything up.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Any news on if Danny Bonaduce is staying on the Carolla show? I thought I read he only had a one year deal.

predators1998

Mar 13, 2006
Tennessee
With the exception of better guests, I think the XM part of the show is far better than FM. It has nothing to do with language. It just seems a lot more relaxed.

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
With the exception of better guests, I think the XM part of the show is far better than FM. It has nothing to do with language. It just seems a lot more relaxed.
I find the XM show to be more hit or miss. Some days are good to great while other are sub par and lack any real content. But that's not the point here.

EnwordLips

Nov 13, 2007
Any news on if Danny Bonaduce is staying on the Carolla show? I thought I read he only had a one year deal.
I heard he is out. I think he is doing an hour in the afternoons by himself. But I am not positive about that. Hes definitely off Carolla's show though

EnwordLips

Nov 13, 2007
I find the XM show to be more hit or miss. Some days are good to great while other are sub par and lack any real content. But that's not the point here.
Yea you are dead on with that assessment. If they just did the XM show though in theory it would be stellar shows all the time with awesome content.
Although there might be a lack of good guests. But my favorite thing about O&A is all the comedians they have on who might not be huge names that just chill. Thats what satellite radio is good for. People being funny talking like real people talk.

Leaving regular radio would be the best move for the real serious fans.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Never thought I'd say this to you, but I agree. Part of O&A's early brilliance in balancing FM and XM was how well they played the two "girlfriends" against each other. Unfortunately the merger seems to be throwing off the power balance and fucking everything up.

I dont think that the merger is throwing anything off. Its still speculation and remains to be seen if it will even happen. At this point its irrelevant to the day to day show and isnt a factor in the content on either side. The lawyers and the ridiculous restrictions on the FM side are whats killing the show.

livebackwards

Proud Patron of Ted's Conglomerated Gasmaskery
Jan 29, 2006
Houston, TX
I dont think that the merger is throwing anything off. Its still speculation and remains to be seen if it will even happen. At this point its irrelevant to the day to day show and isnt a factor in the content on either side. The lawyers and the ridiculous restrictions on the FM side are whats killing the show.
No, the merger is the reason they got suspended after the Homeless Charlie debacle and the reason they have to watch what they say and do in studio even on a supposedly uncensored format. Of course it's all speculation, but in the meantime it's having very real consequences.