Post Cool Quotes (AKA Recommendations via Quotes Thread)

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
So there already is a literary quotes thread but this is a bit different. The idea is to post cool quotes from books you are reading as a way to recommend a book. Sometimes I find that an interesting quote, even taken completely out of context, can sometimes attract me to a book more than a synopsis since it also gives you a glimpse of the writing and narrative style.

I'll get to some examples in a second, but first let me just ask that we try to avoid spoilery quotes, and in general try to keep the quotes pretty vague, including removing names or places that could spoil something (for example, just write: "Suddenly ___ saw a flash of light and blah blah blah" instead of the name).

So here are a few examples, the first of which is from the book I am currently reading:

Because it did not think, even if it had been told that it had begun a course of action that would ripple out from this moment and change the universe forever, it could not have understood.

Even if it could have understood, it would not have cared.
Otherland 3: Mountain of Black Glass by Tad Williams

Waiting. More waiting. They were all waiting.

Of course, had ___ known what was coming, he wouldn't have minded.

He would've begged to wait there forever.
Wool by Hugh Howey

Before she became the Girl from Nowhere-the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years-she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy. Amy Harper Bellafonte.
The Passage by Justin Cronin (kept the name in because this is literally the first sentence in the book)

There is something about quotes like this that I really like. They are like intentional spoilers but kept vague enough so that you just know some heavy shit is going to happen, but not what heavy shit.

Anyway - share some quotes that can serve as recommendations for cool books. And go.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere-the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years-she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy. Amy Harper Bellafonte.
:) heard this one just today :)

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
"In wars, boy, fools kill other fools for foolish causes."
Eye of The World by Robert Jordan

HandPanzer

Vergangenheitsbewältigung
May 30, 2013
Chapter 81 of Tours of the Black Clock by Steve Erickson.

Geli was twenty, with flowing blonde hair, handsome features, a pleasant voice and a sunny disposition which made her attractive to men. Hitler soon fell in love with her.
Tours of the Black Clock by Steve Erickson.

The most dramatic "cockroach" invasion occurred a few days before Christmas 1963. A band of several hundred Tutsi guerrillas swept into southern Rwanda from a base in Burundi, and advanced within twelve miles of Kigali before being wiped out by Rwandan forces under Belgian command.
We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families by Philip Gourevitch

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
“Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes. The violence comes from a combination of giving up, not caring, and a resignation that getting past it is all you can hope to accomplish. So you kill the hour. You do not work, you do not read, you do not daydream. If you sleep it is not because you need to sleep. And when at last it is over, there is no evidence: no weapon, no blood, and no body. The only clue might be the shadows beneath your eyes or a terribly thin line near the corner of your mouth indicating something has been suffered, that in the privacy of your life you have lost something and the loss is too empty to share.”
House of Leaves

“People don't want their lives fixed. Nobody wants their problems solved. Their dramas. their distractions. Their stories resolved. Their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? Just the big scary unknown.”
Survivor - Palahnuik

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
“What is it we value? Innovation. Originality. Novelty. But most importantly...timeliness. I fear you may be too late, my confused, unfortunate, friend.”
Brandon Sanderson-Way of Kings

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
The way of the transgressor is hard. God made this world, but he didn't make it to suit everybody, did he?
“Only now is the child finally divested of all that he has been. His origins are become remote as is his destiny and not again in all the world's turning will there be terrains so wild and barbarous to try whether the stuff of creation may be shaped to man's will or whether his own heart is not another kind of clay.”
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I'm kind of envious of people who can remember quotes or poems or long passages. I'm so supremely shitty at that.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I'm kind of envious of people who can remember quotes or poems or long passages. I'm so supremely shitty at that.
Yeah but if you had the ability, you could never use it because it would result in an ass beating.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
i want to get into him, what are good Chuck Palhnuik books to start with?
You've probably seen Fight Club... if not, definitely read that first. If so, it's still worth the read. Probably the best introduction to Palahnuik.

If you've seen Fight Club, I would start with something else... just to get a feel of how he twists you through a story you went into completely ignorant of the ending. Survivor is perhaps my favorite novel of his, and would be a good place to start. Invisible Monsters should be reserved for when you know if you really like his writing style or not (it really dives deep into character development and psychology). Lullaby is a twisted fucking novel, so it would make a good second one to read(probably wouldn't start with it, it's nice to build to it).

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
You've probably seen Fight Club... if not, definitely read that first. If so, it's still worth the read. Probably the best introduction to Palahnuik.

If you've seen Fight Club, I would start with something else... just to get a feel of how he twists you through a story you went into completely ignorant of the ending. Survivor is perhaps my favorite novel of his, and would be a good place to start. Invisible Monsters should be reserved for when you know if you really like his writing style or not (it really dives deep into character development and psychology). Lullaby is a twisted fucking novel, so it would make a good second one to read(probably wouldn't start with it, it's nice to build to it).
thanks!

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
First Law Series by Joe Abercrombie...

“I’ve fought in three campaigns,” he began. “In seven pitched battles. In countless raids and skirmishes and desperate defences, and bloody actions of every kind. I’ve fought in the driving snow, the blasting wind, the middle of the night. I’ve been fighting all my life, one enemy or another, one friend or another. I’ve known little else. I’ve seen men killed for a word, for a look, for nothing at all. A woman tried to stab me once for killing her husband, and I threw her down a well. And that’s far from the worst of it. Life used to be cheap as dirt to me. Cheaper."

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
First Law Series by Joe Abercrombie...
Even as a Joe Abercrombie super-fan I can't quite remember that exact quote. Was that Logen Ninefingers, or maybe even Black Dow?

Abercrombie writes the most bad-ass dialogue of anyone out there. Like this cracker from BEST SERVED COLD:

"You were a hero round these parts. That's what they call you when you kill so many people the word murderer falls short."

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
A few more from Blood Meridian.

Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the skill and strength of the opponents and the humiliation of defeat and the pride of victory are in themselves sufficient stake because they inhere in the worth of the principles and define them. But trial of chance of trial of worth all games aspire to the condition of war for here that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all.
Whatever exists... whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
He saw men killed with guns and with knives and with rope and he saw women fought over to the death whose value they themselves set at two dollars.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Ignorance is only blissful if you don't know your ignorant.
Lost Fleet 2: Fearless....Jack Campbell

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
"Fantasy has had some problems with being too repetitive, in my opinion. I try to read what other people are doing--and say, 'How can I add to this rather than just recycle it? How can I stand on Tolkien's shoulders rather than stand tied to his kneecaps?'"
--Brandon Sanderson, whose book Words of Radiance, the follow-up to The Way of Kings is set to release in 2014.

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
But the English are growing visibly cleaner, and we may hope that in a hundred years they will be almost as clean as the Japanese.

George Orwell, Road to Wigan Pier

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”
CS Lewis God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)