Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Well, let the fear mongering begin!!!

Potential Tropical Storm Could Strike NYC
System Brewing In The Atlantic Could Intensify, Threaten Tri-State Sunday

Lonnie Quinn
Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK A potentially major storm is brewing out in the Atlantic Ocean and could wreak havoc along the east coast, including New York City beginning Sunday, forecasters say.

The storm has been checked out by hurricane hunters and so far it hasn't been given a name or a number. It's a low pressure system sitting about 500 miles off the Carolina coast. As it continues to become more organized and escape the wind shear, computer models agree it will do a U-turn and push back in the direction of the east coast.

The thinking is once that wind shear is taken out of the equation, high pressure will push the system back up the coast. There are three computer models creating different paths of the storm.

In the first scenario, the storm goes over land in the Carolinas and weakens, which means it would bring heavy rain and tropical storm force wind at best to the tri-state region.

The second model shows the worst-case scenario for the area. The storm hugs the shore and stays over water, allowing it into intensify, possibly into a low-level hurricane, that could blow into the region.

For the third scenario, the most likely bet to happen, the storm stays off-shore and the western side of the system would bring significant winds and rain, but the bulk of the system would not hit the area.

In nine computer models tracking the storm, each one agreed the system would at least take that U-turn back toward the coast. Still, it's way too early to predict just how strong the system will become and forecast exactly what it will bring to the region. CBS 2 and wcbstv.com will continue to monitor the progress of this system. For the latest weather updates, click here.
http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_248185549.html

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Here we go...

It's going to rain on Sunday.. Oh noes!!

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Cat 0s are faggots.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Speaking of storms a tree branch fell and ruined my deck. I don't own the house though so no biggie.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
Pedro is pitching at Shea too on Sunday, and I'm going!!

Son of a....

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Why would anyone live in an area that could be destroyed by a hurricane? ;)

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY

None of the models show a direct strike scenario and the majority of the models have the storm re-curving out to sea in latitudes near the Carolinas. We're getting into the 36 to 60 hour forecast window where model accuracy improves so, my initial guess is for some rain and wind.

RUN AWAY!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!

Aug 5, 2004
I hope we do get hit.. I'm looking at buying another house and want to see if the basement gets wet when it rains... if it's not wet after a TS then I think I'm golden

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
I think the media got spoiled that one year when hurricanes were happening alot. Now in the last few years, especially after Katrina, all that has been happening is one or two storms a year and without the big damages and deathtolls. So now the media has got to make do with that.
I think for this storm, we'll get some rain and some wind. that's it.

I thought this would be a good thread to begin the possible fear-mongering that will result..

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Oh well, looks like another non-story. That black triangle track going into PA is the XTRP, strictly a statistical extrapolation technique that is extremely weak with an ill defined disturbance like this.

Pvt Oompa Loomp

Show me your Oompa Loompa face! AGHHHHH!!!
Oct 11, 2004
New Jersey
You know, this could be really bad. Like, Manhattan could be under water and stuff/CSK