Power supply question.

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
Hey guys. Another question for you guys. My computer won't turn on. I'm almost positive it's my power supply. Now firstly, how easy are power supplies to install? And second how do I go about finding which power supply is best for my computer/ appropriate size. I have an acer aspire x1700 or something like that.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
It should be a standard ATX sized power supply, in which case it's only 4 screws.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Stoopid question... have you tried a different power cord or plug?

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
Stoopid question... have you tried a different power cord or plug?
I tried a different plug. I'm pretty sure it burnt out or something cuz the fan on the back was loud and then it locked up. I thought it was the fan on the video card but it was the power supply.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I assume this is a desktop...

You should be able to see a large label on the side of the PSU inside the case. Look at the total output (it will be listed in watts - 400W for example) and make sure your replacement has that much OR GREATER.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
heh. Yup, sure is. Figures. Think there's any place to mount a standard PSU up inside it? Prolly not, most likely built like POS dells with their slimline PSU's.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
Sorry for being kinda clueless but is there anything cheaper than the $90 one sinn posted? Will the one from newegg posted up a few posts work? I gotta try to get out of this as cheap as possible. And are the power supplies plug and play? Or do I have to install drivers and shit like that?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Sorry for being kinda clueless but is there anything cheaper than the $90 one sinn posted? Will the one from newegg posted up a few posts work? I gotta try to get out of this as cheap as possible. And are the power supplies plug and play? Or do I have to install drivers and shit like that?
Since it's proprietary you're kinda screwed. Where and when did you buy it and what kind of warranty did you get?

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
Since it's proprietary you're kinda screwed. Where and when did you buy it and what kind of warranty did you get?
I bought it like two years ago or something. And I think I only had the one year warranty. Im giving it to a guy to look at so maybe he can do something for me.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Problem with these kinds of PSU's is they're built specifically for that machine or similar models by the same company, so a standard ATX power supply won't mount properly inside the case.

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
Problem with these kinds of PSU's is they're built specifically for that machine or similar models by the same company, so a standard ATX power supply won't mount properly inside the case.
I'm gonna ask my friends husband when I take the computer to him, but is there a way to have like an external power supply?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Not really. But if the other components are somewhat industry standard, you could move them into a new case with a power supply for under $50.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
ive done some ghetto testing on slimlines where i just had the power supply box sitting on top of the computer with the wires running thru the power supply hole.

other than a mess of wires coming out of the box, the connectors should be the same.

I'll +1 with Sinn about swapping the stuff over to a new box. Might be your best bet long term.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
The only thing that will fit in the existing case is the same PSU that came with it. A standard one will not fit.

Doing this might work, if the connectors are ATX standard, but you can run into grounding issues that can end up frying the system.

Not really. But if the other components are somewhat industry standard, you could move them into a new case with a power supply for under $50.
With a proprietary PSU, I wouldn't be surprised if the hole patterns on the motherboard were proprietary, as well. Obviously, if they are, you are never gonna be able to move that system to a new case.

For the OP, just bite the bullet and either buy the OEM power supply that someone linked earlier, or buy a new computer. Trying to jury-rig a different PSU or case (especially with limited PC knowledge) is going to be asking for serious problems.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Yeah, $90 isn't really that bad for a proprietary power supply. Did you add a video card to the system? The life of a wimpy power supply is very short with even mid-range cards.
Then it would be better to get a new case. You then wouldn't be forced to use those half height cards.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
that stock PS is only 220 watts

I vote for new case even if you have to just use a couple of the screw holes to hold the mother board down, you will be better off in the long run.

and later you can get a new mother board and all to put in the new case and basically have a state of the art new computer

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
I'll probably just buy the stock PSU for now. It's the cheapest option. If I could afford it I'd just buy a new PC. But I'm a 24 year old with a mortgage, car payment, and a kid so I'm a poor fuck.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
$69.00 + $9 shipping - ebay

cheapest I could find for new. Listed for emachines, but I cross referenced the part number. The actual model of the power supply is ps-5221-06