Predator reboot.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
JUN
2 MINS
Fox Rebooting 'Predator' With Shane Black (Exclusive)
12:23 PM PDT 6/24/2014 by Borys Kit
The "Lethal Weapon" creator and "Iron Man 3" director will write the treatment and is attached to direct the project which could relaunch the sci-fi action franchise.

Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Shane Black
Eighties action classic Predator is getting the reboot treatment from Twentieth Century Fox.

But before some purists cry fowl, however, they should know that this reboot comes with an in interesting attachment: Shane Black, the venerable screenwriter behind Lethal Weapon and writer-director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 3.

Black will write the treatment for the project, then will hand over scripting duties to Fred Dekker, his university chum with whom he wrote 1987’s Monster Squad. Black will oversee the writing and is also attached to direct.

PHOTOS Elijah Wood in 'Hobbit' and 16 Other Cameos in Prequels, Reboots and Remakes

John Davis, who produced the original with Joel Silver and Lawrence Gordon, is producing the reboot.

Predator is the muscle-bound action 1987 movie that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger as well as Carl Weathers and Jesse Ventura as commandos being stalked in a jungle by a fearsome alien. John McTiernan directed the film, which was one of the movies that cemented Schwarzenegger’s star power.

Black actually appeared in a minor role in the original movie and how be became involved is part of Hollywood lore.

When Predator was being made in 1986, Black was already a screenwriting prodigy for his Lethal Weapon and Monster Squad scripts. The studio and producers wanted him to polish the script for Predator, which was then in pre-production. Black turned it down. A few weeks later, they approached him again. Once more, Black said no. Another few weeks went by, and then the studio called again. This time, however, he was told there was a small role in the movie and whether he would like to have it. Black said yes.

PHOTOS Second Time's the Charm: 15 of Hollywood's Most Notable Remakes

When he arrived to the South American set, the studio execs and producers greeted him and said, "By the way, would you mind taking a look at the script?" Black replied, "I’m still not rewriting it."

Fox has found ways to keep Predator alive since it's initial outing. There was a Schwarzenegger-less sequel, Predators, in 1990. Robert Rodriguez produced an installment of the franchise in 2010. Fox also combined it with its Alien franchise for a couple of Alien vs. Predator movie released in 2004 and 2007, respectively.

Fox exec Matt Reilly is overseeing the reboot. Davis Entertainment's Ira Napoliello is also overseeing.

This is proving to be a busy time for Black. He is trying to put together a cast for The Nice Guys, a 1970s crime movie that was originally earmarked for television. Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe are circling the project, which is being produced by Silver but has no home just yet, and that could shoot this fall.

Black is also is very actively developing Doc Savage, the adaptation of the 1930s pulp hero for Sony. He recently met with Chris Hemsworth for the title role but it’s unclear when that project would shoot since it’s still grappling with budgetary issues. Sony, however, does consider Savage one of its priorities.

Black is repped by WME, GreenLit Creative and Bloom Hergott.

Dekker, who directed Monster Squad as well as Robocop 3, is also repped by WME

I wonder if Predator guy will show up in Prometheus 2, because why the fuck not

Dec 12, 2007
One of the best action movies ever made doesn't need a reboot.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Fuck Predator. Monster Squad can use a reboot now that they mention it.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
I'd like to see a Godzilla reboot. Anyone remember those movies from the 70s?

VicVinegar

Oct 5, 2012
I fucking hate Hollywood. Come up with something new.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
So the guy that played Hawkins, who was the first man in the unit killed by the Predator, and was tasked with keeping an eye on the director for the studio is going to write and direct the new one? Honestly barring using the same script and director I don't really think anyone could do it better if they're going to do it. He's made some really good movies. This doesn't bother me

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Nope. And it still holds up perfectly.
It holds up remarkably well. I guess part of it is that it takes place almost entirely in a jungle.
If not for the facts that it isn't rated PG-13 and doesn't have the Predator back flipping through every scene, it could have been made in the last 10 years.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It holds up remarkably well. I guess part of it is that it takes place almost entirely in a jungle.
If not for the facts that it isn't rated PG-13 and doesn't have the Predator back flipping through every scene, it could have been made in the last 10 years.
There is just no reason to reboot it. The way the series is set up, you can just do another one.

I've always said they need to do one in the middle east. Hot temps, lots of conflict, elite U.S. or UN forces in the area. It's perfect.

Frankie_b

Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
There is just no reason to reboot it. The way the series is set up, you can just do another one.

I've always said they need to do one in the middle east. Hot temps, lots of conflict, elite U.S. or UN forces in the area. It's perfect.
I wasnt being serious when i said it but maybe they want it fitting into the future prometheus/alien movies

Or just to wipe out all the horse shit of Predators and Predator 2, seriously danny glover and 70's show guy were fucking terrible and Adrien batman voice was never convincing in the Arnie role

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The great thing about Predator is you don't need a reboot, just a new hunt. If I was doing a Predator sequel, I'm not only bringing back Arnold Schwarzenegger, I'm bringing back Danny Glover, Sanaa Lathan, Steven Pasquale, and Reiko Aylesworth.

So the plot of the first movie is that all of the Predator killers are being hunted down and killed. Schwarzenegger learns of this and recruits a young special forces dude - (Liam Hemsworth or whoever) to help him defend the others and kill the Predator. Schwarzenegger dies along with all the other Predator killers, leaving new guy to finally kill the predator.

The plot of the second movie centers around another Predator coming back to hunt down Hemsworth and whatever Special Forces group he's part of - they've identified this group as the best of the best. We win, of course - but at the end of the movie we realize that they'll just keep coming unless we go kick their fucking asses.

Third movie - we go to their planet to hunt the Predators. This never, ever happens in alien invasion movies. We always are in defensive mode. I know that Predators was supposedly set on their home planet, so if you really want to have fun with it have them come across Brody when they get there.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The great thing about Predator is you don't need a reboot, just a new hunt. If I was doing a Predator sequel, I'm not only bringing back Arnold Schwarzenegger, I'm bringing back Danny Glover, Sanaa Lathan, Steven Pasquale, and Reiko Aylesworth.

So the plot of the first movie is that all of the Predator killers are being hunted down and killed. Schwarzenegger learns of this and recruits a young special forces dude - (Liam Hemsworth or whoever) to help him defend the others and kill the Predator. Schwarzenegger dies along with all the other Predator killers, leaving new guy to finally kill the predator.

The plot of the second movie centers around another Predator coming back to hunt down Hemsworth and whatever Special Forces group he's part of - they've identified this group as the best of the best. We win, of course - but at the end of the movie we realize that they'll just keep coming unless we go kick their fucking asses.

Third movie - we go to their planet to hunt the Predators. This never, ever happens in alien invasion movies. We always are in defensive mode. I know that Predators was supposedly set on their home planet, so if you really want to have fun with it have them come across Brody when they get there.
1. I like it.

B. I don't think Predators was on their home planet, I think it was a planet that they use as a hunting preserve.

III. The only film I can think of that we actually took it to the aliens was Starship Troopers. Maybe Ender's Game

Dec 12, 2007
B. I don't think Predators was on their home planet, I think it was a planet that they use as a hunting preserve.
Yup, we only saw the predator home planet in alien vs predator requiem. The predators in his home and gets the distress beacon.

Frankie_b

Aug 31, 2009
Scotland

Too much Predator not enough Alien, everything needs more alien...got a predator planet? put some Alien in it, but that aside will the predators one learned sentence of Enguhlish be 'I'll be back' or 'i'm getting too old for this shit!'?

Frankie_b

Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
UPDATE: For those who were concerned what a reboot might mean for the legacy of Predator and the iconic creature of the film franchise, we have some good news. Collider recently spoke to Shane Black to clarify some information about this report, and the filmmaker says the film he's working on with Fred Dekker is actually an "inventive sequel." So don't count on seeing a new version of the Predator in the film. Black adds, "Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?” That absolutely puts us at ease about this project. Carry on

Edit: Arnie will be back for it, COUNT ON IT GOD DAMN IT!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I didn't care for Predator 2. I didn't mind Predators. I like Shane Black. I'm fine with this.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I'm looking forward to finding out the Predator was really just an actor in a suit the whole time.