Predator reboot.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
Theoretically if there are quips or jokes it won’t be limited to two players screaming at each other over the sound of gunfire.

Well maybe it will be, but it will hopefully be shot so you can see what’s going on and hear the jokes.
It went from Tom Cruise playing off of poor man's Charlie Kelly to Tom Cruise playing off of poor man's Barb E. Doll. There was so little Mummy now that I think about it.

LiddyRules

Now that Pig's probably watching trailers for Venom let me ask you* - what's going to be the next "we know will be bad but we're going to see anyway" movie. Like Justice League last year.

I'd say it's Venom, but every time I see anything from it, all I can think is "do I really need to see this?" Then I realize, I don't.

* I'm really asking Pig, but he's busy, so I'm asking you.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Now that Pig's probably watching trailers for Venom let me ask you* - what's going to be the next "we know will be bad but we're going to see anyway" movie. Like Justice League last year.

I'd say it's Venom, but every time I see anything from it, all I can think is "do I really need to see this?" Then I realize, I don't.

Aquaman? Is that soon?

Bobobie

I don't understand why, in every movie since P2, they have fucked with the formula.

There are certain things that made the first two movies work.

1. Hot as fuck. That's easy, but the heat should play into the story. Setting the movie in a hot area is a good start.

2. The predator is outside of the movies tone. Neither 1 or 2 were scifi. The first was a military movie with an alien in it that when full sci-fi at the end. The second movie was a cop film that went full sci-fi at the end (okay, a bit sooner than that.)

3. Assume the audience has no idea what is going on. Keep the alien hidden until the last third of the movie. Even in 2 you didn't get clear shots of the predator, even when he was wrecking shop.

4. Play it straight. You can have a little humor, but nothing goofy or over the top. Hollywood insists on throwing wacky characters into everything these days and it makes me fucking insane.

5. One normal predator is enough. There is no need for multiple threats or super baddies. The fact that his tech was better than ours....but not THAT MUCH better than ours was part of the appeal. Arnold/Glover had a slim but realistic chance and that sold the movie.

I've said it before, they should set one of these films in the middle east. You can even have a multi-national UN unit if you need to score your Sunny D points.

Put them in some shitty sand city far behind enemy lines. You can have the alien first take out some bands of insurgents or other forces along the way.

You have the heat, you have the conflict. You have the heavily armored men to be picked off one by one. You have enough isolation to make things desperate.
Where is he going to hide in the Desert? He had tripple canopy Jungle in Predator 1 and rooftops to climb and hide in 2. I'm was under the impression that it just isn't the heat, but the Humidity.

LiddyRules

I don't understand why, in every movie since P2, they have fucked with the formula.

There are certain things that made the first two movies work.
Thanks @Bobobie for quoting this post.

We HitWed Predator 2. To say anything about that movie worked means you haven't seen it since you were a child.

EDIT:

Two,

Assume the audience has no idea what is going on. Keep the alien hidden until the last third of the movie. Even in 2 you didn't get clear shots of the predator, even when he was wrecking shop.
You really can't do that in sequels. Not even for a marketing purpose, but if you're seeing a Part 2, it's because you've seen/know about Part 1. Would Terminator 2 have the same impact if you had to wonder if he's really from the future? (I mean yes, we see the future scenes in T1, but you get my point. )

Play it straight. You can have a little humor, but nothing goofy or over the top. Hollywood insists on throwing wacky characters into everything these days and it makes me fucking insane.
I hate "these days" excuses. Predator 2 had three of them - Paxton, Busey, and Captain Voodoo. When was the last time you saw that one?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

Aquaman, right?

LiddyRules

It will make a very fun HitW.
I actually thought it was very fun period. I had a legitimate good time. I don't really know why though. The third act was a weak mess, and the characters were pretty replaceable, but I actually enjoyed it throughout.

Here's a real compliment.

At the end when they said "this guy is a leading expert in cybernetics," I was kind of hoping it was Cyberdyne. I would much rather see Terminator looped into whatever this is than whatever crap T6 will be.

Pigdango

Donator
I actually thought it was very fun period. I had a legitimate good time. I don't really know why though. The third act was a weak mess, and the characters were pretty replaceable, but I actually enjoyed it throughout.

At the end when they said "this guy is a leading expert in cybernetics," I was kind of hoping it was Cyberdyne. I would much rather see Terminator looped into whatever this is than whatever crap T6 will be.
I had fun too, but it was galactically stupid and will be fun to make fun of. It’s like the highest budget wheel of doom movie ever.

The cast was pretty great though. Olivia Munn might be the best looking woman alive right now.

Pigdango

Donator

I was hoping for an Arnold cameo. They spent the whole fucking movie teasing it.

LiddyRules

I had fun too, but it was galactically stupid and will be fun to make fun of. It’s like the highest budget wheel of doom movie ever.

The cast was pretty great though. Olivia Munn might be the best looking woman alive right now.
I honestly could not figure it out with Munn. She was distractingly gorgeous.

I also can't believe the Joke didn't completely destroy the movie.

LiddyRules

I was hoping for an Arnold cameo. They spent the whole fucking movie teasing it.
I kind of did too. Also, according to credits, this had both Busey Jr. and Lochlyn Munroe.

I really expected a T800 when the pod opened and I would have genuinely been excited. And you know me. I don't go for things like that.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
So i saw it. It was fun but this predator is still no where near as badass as "The Wolf" Predator from AVPR even if he was 11ft tall and could grow an exoskeleton out of his skin. I really wish they could of done something more with the wolf. Maybe somehow show how he became the guy you call when you got a serious mess to clean up or some shit. Or hell do the obv story the end of Predator 2 gave you about how that old pred got the flintlock pistol (they did make a comic about it).

In the end yeah it was fun but it doesnt hold a candle to Predator 2 and that movie was not good except finished the trifecta for Paxton

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Oh i do look forward to the new toy "we" got at the end of the movie being used in the sequel.

1 thing i forgot. Cgi predator sucked a bag of dicks. It being a dude in a suit is part of what made the predator great

Bobobie

Rotten Tomatoes audience meter is 51%. I was still hopeful until reading this audience review. I actually liked the last Predator movie with that guy from The Pianist and Eric from That 70's show. I've gone out and seen every movie in the Franchise, bad reviews or not. I might have to skip this one.

September 14, 2018

The nicest thing that can be said about the film is it's the best sci-fi action flick aimed at 14-year-olds 2001 ever churned out.

'The Predator' that we get on the screen is no way the film Shane Black intended - surely? Fox has obviously forced him to 'Deadpool' it up and drench it in MCU tone juice - as well as ripping universe building story elements straight out of 'ID: Resurgence'.

To sum it up, the film is a parody of a 'Predator' movie, it's a spoof of the franchise and the current mindset of studio executives with their "MCU, MCU, MCU" envy.

Why is it a parody?
One running joke is that they shouldn't be called 'Predators' and it's repeated so many times it gets annoying. The first time, I liked it, it's a reference to the first film's original title of 'Hunter' and a dig at marketing execs who want a catchy name, but repeating it verges on insulting the actual series as a whole.
Then there are the callbacks to lines from the first film that are played for laughs - cringe laughs.
The score chimes in everytime a helicopter lands just because that's how the original movie opened.
There's a tacked-on ending that's a direct swipe at the studio with a 'Fant4stic' reference and dig at studios who want every film to kickstart their own MCU.

It's a p**s take. This is a joke, it's not a proper 'Predator' film. They took all the studio notes and delivered a lampoon of the franchise - giving the studio exactly what they asked for in the most sarcastic way possible.

If you go in knowing it's not a serious film and basically an MCU/'Predator' hybrid, then you may enjoy it, but I really wanted a 'Predator' film that took itself a bit seriously with Shane Black humour fitting in naturally - not being forced in. Yeah, the original had p***y jokes, but this leans very hard into that, very hard and when the serious moments do occur they aren't in the right place or I wasn't in the right mind space to appreciate them because the spacing of the funny and serious moments is way off.