Print a real gun with a 3d printer

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
You know they will quickly pass some kind of law to ruin our fun. I googled it to see if this has been posted yet so don't yell at me, yell at google.

Designer of 3-D Printable Gun Has His 3-D Printer Seized

The promise of home 3-D printing is that you can construct anything you want from the comfort and convenience of your own living room. For a group whose mission is to 3-D print a working pistol from scratch, however, that promise has been revoked.

Defense Distributed, a collective led by UT-Austin law student Cody Wilson, has raised $20,000 online in a bid to design and develop the world’s first entirely 3-D printed gun, which it calls the

Wiki Weapon. If it succeeds, not only will it build its own prototype, it will share the design publicly, so that anyone around the world with a 3-D printer can print his own pistol. It’s sort of the opposite of “Don’t try this at home.”

In a promotional video, Wilson waxes philosophical about the project. “The Defense Distributed goal isn’t really personal armament,” he says. “It’s more the liberation of information. It’s about living in a world where you can just download the file for the thing you want to make in this life. As the printing press revolutionized literacy, 3-D printing is in its moment.”

Turns out the company that leased Defense Distributed its 3-D printer doesn’t see it that way. In a letter to Wilson dated Sept. 26, the legal counsel for Stratasys Inc. informed Wilson that it was cancelling his lease of the company’s uPrint SE printer. “It is the policy of Stratasys not to knowingly allow its printers to be used for illegal purposes,” the company wrote, noting that Wilson lacked a federal license for manufacturing firearms.

Wilson has maintained that he doesn’t need a license, because he’s not planning to sell the weapon. But Stratasys was not impressed. Wired's Danger Room blog reports that the company’s representatives showed up at his door to seize the device. Now he’ll have to find another printer—and according to Danger Room, he’s considering obtaining a manufacturing license even though he doesn’t believe it’s legally required. Meanwhile, his group has posted Stratasys' letter online with the caption, "Imagine if your biggest part in the human drama was to stand in the way of an innovation."

He isn’t the first to see a 3-D printer and think of guns. A blogger and gun enthusiast known as HaveBlue made headlines earlier this year by 3-D printing the lower receiver of an AR-15 assault rifle. The digital blueprints are now available for download on the Thingiverse, an online community for 3-D printing designs.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Hey look, stupid remembered his password!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Kirk! Wooooooooooooooo!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
You trust your computer with your passwords? That seems unKirklike
For srsly. What happens when the government hacks into Mozilla's databases and backtraces to his PC using his own stored password to illegally decrypt his harddrive and squeeze all the troof out of it?

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
The good news is, the ATF and holder won't have to arm the drug cartels anymore, they can just give them a printer.

May 16, 2007
Do you think we'd all have computers and the Internet if they figured out in the 80s that people could copy movies and music with them?

I just want to be able to fab things like replacement swing-arm lamp clamps or custom PCB cases and all Johnny Texas can think of is plastic guns. Maybe the college student with the brilliant idea can cut the shit until everybody's got their 3D printers already.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Do you think we'd all have computers and the Internet if they figured out in the 80s that people could copy movies and music with them?
Jay Rockefeller said the internet was the biggest mistake the government made and now that its out there they need to have Chinese style control of the internet... for our safety of course.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
It is legal to build your own firearms, you just can't sell or give them away.

And I wouldn't trust a plastic gun to withstand more then a few rounds before it fails.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
You know they will quickly pass some kind of law to ruin our fun.
Not a new thing. There are also laws concerning the printing and displaying of currency. For example, you are not allowed to print double sided bills and bring them out in public. Only one sided, and they have to be substantially larger than actual bills.

To be fair, not EVERY law is bad. Regarding printing guns - I'd be more concerned that the thing will blow up in my face. Do consumer-grade 3D printers even have the tolerances to produce something as precise as a working firearm? I don't know.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
It is legal to build your own firearms, you just can't sell or give them away.

And I wouldn't trust a plastic gun to withstand more then a few rounds before it fails.
According to the ATF you can modify air soft guns to make them fully automatic assault rifle machine guns with high capacity magazine clips that shoot at high speeds.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
According to the ATF you can modify air soft guns to make them fully automatic assault rifle machine guns with high capacity magazine clips that shoot at high speeds.

I'd love to see that ATF Agent fire a 'converted' AirSoft rifle with full powered military loads. I'd be behind a berm with a remote camera catching the action.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
The ATF is going after people 3d printing guns I read a story about it the other day on ARS Technica. I can't wait until everyone has one of these 3d printers in their homes. It's going to be awesome to go to a torrent site and download 3d models illegally, because you know shit like that is going to happen.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
How long have CNC machines been around? Why are we now worried about 3D printers?

If I ever got a 3D printer, the first thing I would do with it is make a bigger 3D printer.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Kirk.....how did you find Wackbag? I mean...I feel like we found you but...how did you find us? What did you see here that interested you? How is it that you perused this forum during a period of post inability, learned our ideals and some extent of our personalities and decided, "Hey, this looks like a place where I can be heard."

I do not enjoy you.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
probably only useful if you want a FP-45 Liberator

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
How long have CNC machines been around? Why are we now worried about 3D printers?

If I ever got a 3D printer, the first thing I would do with it is make a bigger 3D printer.
Well and before that EDM... Wire Cutting... etc...

My buddy is a Master Tool and Dye maker... should he be arrested by the ATF because he could take a chunk of steel and make a firearm?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Well and before that EDM... Wire Cutting... etc...

My buddy is a Master Tool and Dye maker... should he be arrested by the ATF because he could take a chunk of steel and make a firearm?
Your buddy should probably put one into your skull for calling a DYE maker. :action-sm

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Tool & DIE makers don't mess around with dyes. That's peon work.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Not if it's a breakthrough color-shifting product that will let users select the look of their gun for the day with a quick static charge..