Printing the color white in photoshop

Suicidebree

Two, Zero, Two Infantry
Dec 20, 2004
Jersey
So I'm trying to create a tshirt design to go on a black shirt. The problem is I cant get the color white to print in photoshop. So basicaly the paper comes out with nothing it. The color red is also in the graphic which needs to print and i would like to not have to print them both seperatly. Any help would be appreciated in getting this thing to print white to print onto one of those iron on sheets.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Do printers even come with white?

If they do, you can print it onto a colored paper maybe?

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
I don't think you'll be able to do it with a standard color or laser printer.

If you were going through the "silk screening process" to print on the t-shirt that probably would be possible.

But there is no color combination with a standard printer that makes white.

At least I think that's correct.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
I am also pretty sure that printers cannot print pure white.

Color isn't my forte in photoshop, but maybe you could try setting the pure white rgb values in the color picker dialog box (R=255 G=255 B=255 , which is pure white) to something like (R=250 G=250 B=250, this is a slight off-white). There has to be some color introduced for it to print. Also a lot of the time, what you see on your screen will not be what you see when you print.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
I don't think it's a photoshop issue, but a printing issue. Printers just don't print white. You set up white to print in any document and the majority of the time we are using white paper. Anything white is just absence of color allowing the paper to show through.

And off white, cream, etc is just tinted correctly to allow the mixture of tint with the white paper to print in an off white.

If you do a t-shirt iron on transfer on a black shirt, it's going to look nothing like it printed out. The colors will all change because you are adding the element of black tint (the t-shirt) to the color.

Print it out on black paper and you'll see what it will look like on the transfer.

The best bet for anything on a black shirt is silk-screening.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
CMYK = Cyan Magenta Yellow BlacK

Printers combine these four primary colors to make the millions of other shades in between. There is no combination of these colors that will make white. Instead, the white of the paper is used.

Perhaps you can iron it onto a white t-shirt.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
FWIW...

in optics, all colors form to make white. In pigmentation, white is the absence of color. You can't print "white" on a standard printer. As mentioned above, silk screening will allow you to do all the colors.

Though if you are using the right equipment and can't get it to print white, you need to set the program to not use white as the default background. Then insert white to where it needs to be.

MACHINE1376

Thin out the herd...
Apr 23, 2007
Houston, TX.
you are kidding right? Printers don't print "white" because it is all the colors of the spectrum. It doesn't print it assuming it's going to be printing to white paper...

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
what you have to do is create an alpha channel in photoshop to represent the area that will be white. Click on the tab (located next to layers I think) that says "channels". Then in there, simply create a new channel, and fill that to your live area that will use white.

Also, whoever said printers only use CMYK, you're a little off. That is the primary way to go, but there are spot colors such as metallics and pantones. One of those spot color possibilities is white, though it's almost never used since paper makes a MUCH more inexpensive "spot color".

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
So I'm trying to create a tshirt design to go on a black shirt. The problem is I cant get the color white to print in photoshop. So basicaly the paper comes out with nothing it. The color red is also in the graphic which needs to print and i would like to not have to print them both seperatly. Any help would be appreciated in getting this thing to print white to print onto one of those iron on sheets.
i ended up having to buy the "dark color" shirt iron ons, then i had to cut out the letters and art work and do the lay up my self on my shirts, then iron them on, they turned out ok but i was never happy with the results, if you want to make a lot of shirts i would recommend just going to a shirt maker and spending the cash, in the end you will get better results that last longer, the shirts that you make at home only last maybe 4 or 5 trips through the wash before they start to break down,

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
What you need to do is create a "white plate" for printing via photoshop. This is easier to accomplish in a design program like Illustrator or InDesign. In Photoshop, you need to go to the Channels palatte and create a new "Spot Channel" for your white plate. You channels will be CMYK + The new spot white channel. Setup the channel so that a color will visually represent white onscreen (like light blue or green). When your screen printer "Separates" the colors, he will know to print opaque white on the shirts based on what's in your "White" plate. Consult Photoshop's help section for the creation of Sport Channels and DCS files (Desktop Color Separation).
E-mail me if you have questions.

Edit: I just realized that I reached he post of the beast. Thanks!

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
What you need to do is create a "white plate" for printing via photoshop. This is easier to accomplish in a design program like Illustrator or InDesign. In Photoshop, you need to go to the Channels palatte and create a new "Spot Channel" for your white plate. You channels will be CMYK + The new spot white channel. Setup the channel so that a color will visually represent white onscreen (like light blue or green). When your screen printer "Separates" the colors, he will know to print opaque white on the shirts based on what's in your "White" plate. Consult Photoshop's help section for the creation of Sport Channels and DCS files (Desktop Color Separation).
E-mail me if you have questions.

Edit: I just realized that I reached he post of the beast. Thanks!

When sending jobs into a T-shirt printer, you don't need to do any of that. The pre-press department will take care of that stuff. If your printer doesn't have a prepress department, your better off finding another printer. heh.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
When sending jobs into a T-shirt printer, you don't need to do any of that. The pre-press department will take care of that stuff. If your printer doesn't have a prepress department, your better off finding another printer. heh.
Yeah. I'm a pro designer, often I am the pre-press guy! :)

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I think most of the time if there is graphics to be silk screened, they will just do an outline where there needs to be white and make it look like a shadow or so. then print on white shirts. I may be seeing some people tonight who own a company that does that, I will ask. also if it is going to be silk screened, they will do each color at a different stage anyway. black shirts will limit what you can do too.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
black shirts will limit what you can do too.
No, they don't. Print on any/most color shirts simply gets a white plate under where ink will be laid down.