Prominent Republicans in Washington state, Colorado endorse legal pot

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
(Reuters) - Ballot measures to legalize marijuana in Washington state and Colorado gained support this week from a pair of prominent Republicans - U.S. Senate candidate Michael Baumgartner and former Representative Tom Tancredo - who could help sway conservative voters.
No state has ever legalized marijuana for recreational use. The federal government considers it an illegal drug, but 17 states and the District of Columbia allow it as medicine.
Baumgartner, the Republican challenger to Washington state's Democratic Senator Maria Cantwell, said in a phone interview the state initiative, which would allow the sale of marijuana to people 21 and older at state-sanctioned stores, is a "thoughtful way forward."
"It checks a lot of boxes we want to see, in terms of children not being exposed, in terms of not increasing marijuana usage and not allowing it in public spaces," Baumgartner said.
Tancredo, who served five terms in the House of Representatives from 1999 to 2009, this week endorsed the legalization campaign in Colorado. He argued government should not interfere with people's choice to use pot.
In Oregon, a third state where voters this November will decide whether to allow recreational use of pot, the campaign has struggled to find big name Republican supporters.
Legalization opponent Kevin Sabet, a former adviser to the Obama administration's drug policy director, disputed the argument of many libertarians that government should not interfere in pot use by people.
"The libertarian argument is fundamentally flawed because drug use does not affect just the individual, it affects healthcare costs, criminal justice costs that we see with a legal drug like alcohol and costs to our highway safety," Sabet said.
(Writing by Alex Dobuzinskis; editing by Mohammad Zargham)
Baby steps kids, but it's coming.

http://news.yahoo.com/prominent-rep...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
And not that phony "medical" bullshit. Good for them. Meanwhile Obama continues to imprison record numbers of people.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The medical was a necessary step. It softened the landing for this. Full legalization would have never had a chance without it.

How many state need to get on board before the fed relents?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The FEDS will never back off until they lock themselves up for being petty tyrants.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I don't buy that. Get a swing state or two on board and it becomes an election issue. The country is fed up, enough pressure and they will cave. What it starts to become political suicide to not support it, things will change.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009

I love the ending of this video.

Last edited:

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Watch this not make a dent on the RNC's position on the issue. The will of normal republicans is so far removed from the RNC's mind by this point.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You think democrats don't? Police and prison guard unions own the whole system.
Stop associating my hatred of republicans with support for democrats. Of course the dems do it too. Barack Obama proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt. It's disgusting in any case.

I watched a few episodes of Cops for the first time in a while a few weeks back. All but one or two segments (out of three or four episodes) had to do with vice. Of the vice cases, an overwhelming majority of them were drug cases. The cops always use the phrase "help keep/take drugs off the streets", but most of the time, they're just arresting users and addicts. The Drug War has done a fantastic job of turning cops and civilians against each other. The general public has become the target of the police, and the police have become a predator to the general public. And yet, the cops still think that they're protecting and serving.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Won't happen. RNC politicians cater to police interests too much to let the Drug War cash cow go..
It will happen. There will come a point when too many states have legalized it and too many voters support legalization that, as I said, it will be come political suicide to not support legalization. All the money in the world won't help you if you can't pull the votes.

And it's won't take much. Election margins are too slim. Again, get it legalized in a couple of the swing states and that the end of the war on pot.

Besides, they still have plenty of other drugs to go after and most vice cops would love to be free of pot to go after them.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
It will happen. There will come a point when too many states have legalized it and too many voters support legalization that, as I said, it will be come political suicide to not support legalization. All the money in the world won't help you if you can't pull the votes.

And it's won't take much. Election margins are too slim. Again, get it legalized in a couple of the swing states and that the end of the war on pot.

Besides, they still have plenty of other drugs to go after and most vice cops would love to be free of pot to go after them.
That's far in the future, I'm afraid. At this rate, I'd guess at least another 20 years before enough of the idiots who've had it drilled into their heads that all drugs a e-veal are convinced that the country won't implode with legalization.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
That's far in the future, I'm afraid. At this rate, I'd guess at least another 20 years before enough of the idiots who've had it drilled into their heads that all drugs a e-veal are convinced that the country won't implode with legalization.
20 years is nothing in the scheme of things. It's taken almost 100 years to build the prison industrial complex to where it is, and drug prohibition is the fuel that fires that machine.

Trendy

New Wackbag
Oct 3, 2012
The FEDS will never back off until they lock themselves up for being petty tyrants.
I hope the feds don't back down, do you have any idea what will happen if drugs are legal? Just ask my hero Bill O'reilly

Bill owns Stossel as usual. Stossel doesn't care about the children, Stossel wants to make it easier for kids to get wacked out.

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
I hope the feds don't back down, do you have any idea what will happen if drugs are legal? Just ask my hero Bill O'reilly

Bill owns Stossel as usual. Stossel doesn't care about the children, Stossel wants to make it easier for kids to get wacked out.
Really, he gets to have a sock puppet? We're going to allow this?