PS 3 Question

Jun 3, 2005
is there any difference between the 60 gig PS 3 and the 80 gig? I read somewhere that the 80 gig won't play the PS 2 games as well because it uses an emulator to play those games. is this true?

thanks in advance

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
I think that's right. There may be some 60GB with gimped backwards compatibility as well though.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
I'm in the UK and we had the PS3's with the software emulation from the start and I have NEVER had a problem with any of my PS2 or PS1 games, they all work fine.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
is there any difference between the 60 gig PS 3 and the 80 gig? I read somewhere that the 80 gig won't play the PS 2 games as well because it uses an emulator to play those games. is this true?
Yes and no. The 60GB uses the Emotion Engine from the PS2 to play PS2 and PS1 games and it required a number of firmware updates before it ran the games smoothly. It's smooth as shit now and even upscales the old games to 1080p as well.

The 80GB doesn't have the EE as it uses only software emulation for backward compatibility. It won't play all the games but according to wikipedia 1,782 of the 2,451 PS2 are represented. So while the 80GB will play PS2 games just as well as the 60GB, it just won't play as many as them.

The new 40GB had backward compatibility with PS2 removed altogether. It will still play PS1 games via software though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3#Backward_compatibility

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The 80 gig WILL play ps2 games. Most PS2 games are playable on the 60 and 80 gig Ps3. This link will let you know if a game is playable.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus
Looks like there are lock-up issues with the Gran Turismo games on the 80GB that the 60GB doesn't have. Of course this will be a moot point once Gran Turismo 5 is released on the PS3 sometime in 2010. :icon_wink

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
There's a different 60GB version in the PAL countries than from the NTSC one. All PAL units used emulation while us yanks and japs got the sweet EE equipped units.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Of course this will be a moot point once Gran Turismo 5 is released on the PS3 sometime in 2010. :icon_wink

I'm still looking forward to the last Metal Gear Solid and Grand Theft Auto IV to come out in 2015 :action-sm

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Thanks for the help. I might try to track down a 60 gig.
Buy.com had some 60GB models the other day with a game and four Blu-Ray movies, but I don't see them there anymore.

All they have listed are the 80GB Motorstorm packages for $499

The original 60GB PS3s came with larger processors anyway and they scaled them down for the later models to save money to drop the prices but in the end the grahics won't have as much room to evolve over the years to come. There isn't a huge difference though. They scaled down from 90nm to like 60nm

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Are you sure you know what your talking about? the 90nm to 60nm makes no difference in speed, it just has less components in the chip so it runs cooler and is cheaper to build. The speed is still the same.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
The 40GB build has a 65nm cell processor while the older ones have the 90nm chipset. The RSX is still a 90nm chip.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I was going to tell my bro to buy a 40GB as he doesn't have a lot of money but he wants a PS3 so he can play his old games as well, but I didn't know the 40 GB doesn't play the old games. Guess he'll be getting a 60GB

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
I'm still looking forward to the last Metal Gear Solid and Grand Theft Auto IV to come out in 2015 :action-sm
yea im really getting tired of game delays, when you think about it, both of those games should be out already :fight6:

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
yea im really getting tired of game delays, when you think about it, both of those games should be out already :fight6:
x2 , I got the PS3 earlier this year and have used it for just 2 games and one Blu Ray movie... if it wasn't for the EE chipset I would have waited. I'm getting bored of waiting for the new GTA game and might say fuck it and sell the fucking thing... I'm getting tired of waiting for these fucking games that are constantly, and predictably late to market.

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
x2 , I got the PS3 earlier this year and have used it for just 2 games and one Blu Ray movie... if it wasn't for the EE chipset I would have waited. I'm getting bored of waiting for the new GTA game and might say fuck it and sell the fucking thing... I'm getting tired of waiting for these fucking games that are constantly, and predictably late to market.
Join the 360 family, come play Mass Effect, Bioshock, COD4, a good version of Madden, Halo 3, the Orange Box, etc. You can still get GTA and it'll probably have a fun online mode. Don't resign yourself to your shitty PS3.

You (Bogey) can complain about hardware malfunctions (and you're absolutely right) but you have to admit Xbox had an amazing lineup as of late and there's a string of great games coming out.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Join the 360 family, come play Mass Effect, Bioshock, COD4, a good version of Madden, Halo 3, the Orange Box, etc. You can still get GTA and it'll probably have a fun online mode. Don't resign yourself to your shitty PS3.

You (Bogey) can complain about hardware malfunctions (and you're absolutely right) but you have to admit Xbox had an amazing lineup as of late and there's a string of great games coming out.
err, the only game the 360 got that the PS3 didn't lately is Mass Effect (an amazing game), so it's still down to hardware, do you want to drop 400 on something that you know won't melt, or drop 400 on something that will melt

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
err, the only game the 360 got that the PS3 didn't lately is Mass Effect (an amazing game), so it's still down to hardware, do you want to drop 400 on something that you know won't melt, or drop 400 on something that will melt
Bioshock? Halo? Those are lately enough to help my argument, sir.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I had fun playing Bioshock. Don't have a 360.

Orange Box? Played it on the best format for it. The PC.

As far as multi-platform, Assassin's Creed, Rock Band, COD4, and GH3 are all great as is. As far as exclusives, Ratchet & Clank, I love. And everyone I've talked to who have played Drake's Fortune have loved it. It's short but Heavenly Sword is an awesome game.

The only disappointment so far with the PS3 has been Lair. And even that was a somewhat decent game but the hype for this fairly mediocre game killed it.

The "no games" isn't as valid as it used to be.

Hell, I can barely wait till LittleBigPlanet comes out. That game will be great. Metal Gear Solid too! In fact, nothing in the other line-ups looks as good to me.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Bioshock is meh

Halo is a big steaming pile of ****** shit that was ***** by a monkey before it came out. HALO STINKS

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Hurry for the sale!

Wal-Mart has $499 80gb PS3s in-store with *10* free Blu-Ray movies for free for TODAY ONLY! (November 25th) The sale was this weekend but Sunday is the last day.

That's $250-300 worth of free Blu-Ray films folks.

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
Halo is a big steaming pile of ****** shit that was ***** by a monkey before it came out. HALO STINKS
I'm not going to bother reading all of the posts here nor do I know why this was written but I *am* going to quote this because it deserves it.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
Wal-Mart has $499 80gb PS3s in-store with *10* free Blu-Ray movies for free for TODAY ONLY! (November 25th) The sale was this weekend but Sunday is the last day.

That's $250-300 worth of free Blu-Ray films folks.
were you eligible for the 5 free movies, over the summer, and if so, how soon did you receive them after you mailed it?

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
were you eligible for the 5 free movies, over the summer, and if so, how soon did you receive them after you mailed it?
No, I bought my PS3 at the beginning of this year so I wasn't eligible. I just paid the money and got no freebies

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Halo? Overrated garbage. Bioshock? Have a better version on PC. The Orange Box? Better on PC. Mass Effect will more than likely appear on the PC (as does every other 360 game) with better gameplay and more content within a year. Whereas you're never going to play Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, MGS4, God of War 3, etc on anything but a PS3.