PS3 controller question

Shane1V

Eggnog Flavored Cum
Jun 8, 2004
Brooklyn
Can a PS3 be jimmy rigged to use a keyboard and mouse to control, say, a 1st person shooter game like Halo? I don't want to have to get used to those fuckin game controllers.
Thanks!

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
uhhh...probably. I have a keyboard for my PS2. Works great for the ports of fps games on there.

Shane1V

Eggnog Flavored Cum
Jun 8, 2004
Brooklyn
uhhh...probably. I have a keyboard for my PS2. Works great for the ports of fps games on there.
You use a mouse with that too I assume? Like you would on a PC FPS?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
There's a periphial that will work like a mouse and keyboard but I don't know anyone who has used it.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
Here is the peripheral that Bogey was referring to, the Splitfish Frag FX. I've seen them around at Best Buy but haven't dropped the cash to get one yet. I am considering getting one though.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/799/799262p1.html

I read some reviews on newegg about that, I was interested in it but people say it's so-so. Apparently the mouse is an old-school ball mouse, there are some problems with a delay or something.

Cool idea though.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I read some reviews on newegg about that, I was interested in it but people say it's so-so. Apparently the mouse is an old-school ball mouse, there are some problems with a delay or something.

Cool idea though.
I just checked out the reviews for it at Amazon and it got pummelled there with 1 and 2 star reviews. Too bad, I had higher hopes for it. Maybe a 2nd generation FragFX would be worth considering.

But back to the OP question, Unreal Tournament 3 is the first FPS game for the PS3 that will accept keyboard and mouse control and it doesn't have to be "jimmy rigged", it just needs to be USB compatible. I don't know of any other games that you can do that with.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
thats what I figured be the problem

Im really interested to know how the keyboard/mouse works with unreal on the ps3 though.
I wish I could test this out, but I'm a Mac user and the only keyboard and mouse I have are Bluetooth ones and unfortunately the PS3 won't recognize either one. Unless I'm willing to buy a USB KB/M I won't ever know, and I doubt I'll buy a KB/M combo just for UT3.

Shane1V

Eggnog Flavored Cum
Jun 8, 2004
Brooklyn
I wish I could test this out, but I'm a Mac user and the only keyboard and mouse I have are Bluetooth ones and unfortunately the PS3 won't recognize either one. Unless I'm willing to buy a USB KB/M I won't ever know, and I doubt I'll buy a KB/M combo just for UT3.
What a great coincidence- I'm huge UT fan- 2004 is the only game I play actually. Are you saying that this game(UT3) is made to work on the PS3 with a regular keyboard/mouse(USB) and will probably work better than that peripheral mentioned above? That would almost definetly sell me on getting a PS3

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
What a great coincidence- I'm huge UT fan- 2004 is the only game I play actually. Are you saying that this game(UT3) is made to work on the PS3 with a regular keyboard/mouse(USB) and will probably work better than that peripheral mentioned above? That would almost definetly sell me on getting a PS3

"Yes" to the first question and "I don't know" for the second one. This is what they have to say about the K/M combination in IGN's UT3 review.
Control options are up to the user – either Sixaxis or USB keyboard and mouse support. Both control rather well, but anyone used to the precision mouse and keyboard controls on the PC will notice a slight amount of mouse lag when turning and looking in the PS3 version. It's nothing that ruins the experience, but it can be aggravating when trying to make quick, precise aiming movements. Then again, some would argue anyone playing this on PS3 shouldn't be trying to use a mouse and keyboard in the first place, so such an observation likely won't affect users' perception of the game anyway. Sliders have been included in-game for adjusting player turn speeds as well as thumbstick and mouse sensitivity, so you'll likely find some happy medium for character control. And once you set everything to your liking, you'll find the Sixaxis handles the action extremely well.

UT's control scheme isn't quite standard fare. To mesh with the game's exaggerated sci-fi visual style, you're given the ability to double-jump, dodge to the side, and dodge off walls. With both Sixaxis and keyboard/mouse setups, tapping jump twice will perform a double-jump, but dodging is handled a bit differently. Instead of double-tapping anything, you just move to the left or right and hit jump. This system works just fine for the console version, though if you do decide to try out a keyboard and happen to have played the PC UT's of the past, it'll feel odd when you realize double-tapping A or D doesn't dodge. There's also no crouch in this version - your character just auto-crouches when near a space that requires it.
And downloadable mods are also supported for the PS3 version of UT3. So far 5 mods have been released in the past 2 days:

http://kotaku.com/337024/the-mini+flood-of-utiii-user-created-content-begins

Shane1V

Eggnog Flavored Cum
Jun 8, 2004
Brooklyn

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Can a PS3 be jimmy rigged to use a keyboard and mouse to control, say, a 1st person shooter game like Halo? I don't want to have to get used to those fuckin game controllers.
Thanks!
I think the biggest problem you are going to run into is getting Halo to run on a PS3. ;)

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I think the biggest problem you are going to run into is getting Halo to run on a PS3. ;)
Yea, but he said "like HALO", which means a FPS that gets hyped to hell and everyone buys it buy most abandon it when the next COD comes out.