OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

PS3 DEAD?

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by THE FEZ MAN, Oct 8, 2013.

1. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

OK im a tech retard, i think that my PS 3 is dead, i cant get it to turn on and the red light on the front is blinking, i turned it on and off a few times flipped the switch on the back now i just have a blinking red light on the front. my boy said it has the "yellow light of death" what does this mean. i asked him but i think he's just priming me for a PS 4. now i will admit that the production date on my ps3 is 2007, but quite frankly i dont think that ive used it that much except in the last year or so ive been using it for net flix. so what the fuck?

oh and please quote or like or mention this post because i never check this forum

2. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Prob died... gather you smoke around it... as my buddy is on his 4th.

Note on my second 360... but not like I am running it like he did.

3. THE FEZ MAN

i will admit that ive smoked around it for the last year or two and im sure its clogged up with years of weimeraner hair, i thought about blowing it out, and trying to restart it, it started to act up last night i got it to reset, the boy beat me home today and was fucking with it before i got home so god only knows what he did to it.

4. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Unfortunately I think these things are pretty much a consumable... like once they are done they ain't worth fixing.

Case in point my mother in law's walmart lawnmower... that sat for year with gas in it... really not worth the new carb... gas... oil and spark plug required to get it going.

On a side note my buddy traded in his last PS3... and controllers and such... and got a refurb for $40... soooooo

5. Master Paux

Master Paux Dry Drunk

It's dead. My fatboy did the same thing, but instead of the red light you have, I had the yellow light. The PS3 we have now we bought used off Craigslist a few years ago and still works like a charm (we both smoke).

BUT, his 360 took a trip to Microsoft within 7 months of us owning it. So maybe there is something to the smoke thing.. or maybe the 360 is cheaply made.

6. gorram

gorram ;)

Here is about the only thing you can do as a consumer to repair either the PS3 or the XBOX. The circuit board needs to have the solder "reflowed" on the CPU and GPU processors. Here is a walk through videos showing disassembly, reflowing with a heat gun and reassembly.

This of course is no guarantee, but it if is broken, you can't break it any further. There are also issues on PS3's where you just have loose cables so a disassemble and cleaning can be worthwhile. Keep in mind a red blinking light on one machine may be fixed one way while the same "trick" may not fix yours. Sometimes its loose connections sometimes a part has just fried. We fix a lot of electronics at our shop and I can not tell you how many times the diagnostic code coming from the device can absolutely be false, as much as half the time even.

Smoking around your console really should be more of a problem on the drive lens getting too dirty to read the discs. Otherwise the unit should come on. Now if you smoke enough to bog down the cooling fans with tar well you got bigger problems than a broken PS3.

7. THE FEZ MAN

meh, i will fuck with it when i feel like it, like i said ive had it since 2007 its actually a "launch system" one of the 40gig backwards compatible ones. i never had anything important on it, other than my 99% completed saints row.

8. LZMF1

LZMF1 Semi-Eviscerated

i've done that many a times and i even offered to fix @Master Paux 's ps3. it's not difficult to do but it will eventually shit the bed on you again. just replace the fucker.

9. Master Paux

Master Paux Dry Drunk

Oh yeeeaaahhh! I totally forgot about that!

10. Graveyard

Graveyard Registered User

They're dirt cheap now, and Gamestop is even accepting non working ones right now for trade. With the trade in it shouldn't be very much at all to replace, certainly less of a hassle than trying to fix the stupid thing.

11. gorram

gorram ;)

First off, not sure anybody has to be told that the most obvious solution is to replace an item that is not working. If you have the money to replace it that is always the solution, just like you wouldn't try to repair a $25 clock radio.

Second you can be right and wrong, a repair of any magnitude done too late can result in poor results. However if something is fixed before other damage sets in then you are good to go. We have seen many a repair that would have been successful if done sooner. Faulty capacitor replacement or in this case loose connection are good examples of this. It leads to breaking something else on the board, or overloading a power supply.

12. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Stop describing your cock and tell us about the machine!

Foggy likes this.
  13. CM Mark

CM Mark The East is Ours!

I had something similar happen with my PS3 a couple of years ago. Mine was a last gen fat boy system. I took it to a local place that repairs them, and it turned out it was just the inner power supply. If you go to a good place, it should only cost around $100 to fix.

14. THE FEZ MAN

i will check into getting it fixed

15. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

My 2008 fat boy kicked the bucket on me two years ago. I never tried to fix it, I just bought a 120 gig slim one for $250, then replaced the hard drive.
    The soldering issue affects PS3s in weird ways. I used to live in an old house with power issues; the circuits would flip off at the drop of a hat. 3 years of that killed my iMac and a bunch of other electronics. Not surprised my PS3 was affected too.

16. THE FEZ MAN

Found a place online that will fix it for 139$ with a fan upgrade I might just do that

17. THE FEZ MAN

any of you local philly guys ever heard of this guy?

http://www.drgamefix.com/testimonials.php

i think he works with a video game guy at my local dirt mall i get concerned with local guys i took my old stereo to a local guy one time and it never got fixed but i did take my vcr to another dude that did fix it. i would rather deal local so if something goes wrong i can pester him in person.

18. DR. Jimcy M.E.

As a fellow fake Dr. I approve of this man.

19. THE FEZ MAN

he's going to pick it up tomorrow at the wally world about 5 mins from my house. i find this a tad shady but if his mailing address is correct he is only about 15mins away in DE...... i have a sinking feeling im going to lose my ps3...... i think i will take a pistol with me and not really make an attempt to conceal it all that well.

20. SatansCheerledr

SatansCheerledr Ideologically Unsound

Sounds like ps4 time to me! Yeaaa!!!

21. bauer time

Mine did the same thing a few months back. Can't be too mad, it was a launch fatty. Served me well.

22. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Is "launch fatty" a term for a playstation groupie?

bauer time likes this.
  23. THE FEZ MAN

ok this guy really knows what he is doing. no heat gun here

24. LZMF1

LZMF1 Semi-Eviscerated

damn!!!! impressive. i wish i could do shit like that! i also wish i could understand what the fuck he was saying.......i got like maybe 75% of it but the accent was a bit much for me.

25. THE FEZ MAN

ive watched a lot of those kinds of videos apparently the Irish repair a lot of electronics. i watched one guy reprogramming e proms in airbag units, re chipping ecm's in cars all kinds of crazy shit like that, way way above what i know. after watching these videos i know i could "re flow" the chip with a heat gun it just seems a tad "niggardly" way of doing it, im sure the guy im taking it to is going to do the same thing but, eh, what ever. i doubt very much hes' going to reball the chip in my ps3 since he only wants 50$ to fix it, seems to me re balling would run closer to 100$ if not more. i will let him fix it this time if it shits the bed again i will try fixing it myself, also im going to find a new place to put it when i get it back, i had it sitting on my cable box, im thinking that wasn't the greatest place for it.