BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
PS4 Dev Thrashes GameStop’s Business Model
“You can’t make a living at the expense of everybody else.”
by Colin Moriarty
July 22, 2013

Developer Ready at Dawn may be best-known for its exceptional God of War games on PSP, but it’s the studio's upcoming foray into the next-gen space that has PlayStation gamers excited. The Order: 1886, a third-person action game exclusive to PS4, is currently under development at the small Southern California development house.

On the heels of the game’s announcement at E3, Ru Weerasuriya, founder of Ready at Dawn, gave a fascinating interview to Games Industry International, in which he lambasted GameStop’s business model, in particular pertaining to sales of used games.

“I think the problem is right now there are retail outlets that are really taking everybody for a ride,” he said. “You can’t make a living at the expense of everybody else.” Weerasuriya noted that both consumers and developers are getting the short end of the stick because of the repercussions of the used games market.

“I walked into a GameStop, asked for a new copy of a game and without telling me [the store clerk] tried to slip me a used copy and wanted to sell it to me for $5 less,” he later explained. “I flipped out in front of the guy. I was like, ‘Dude, wrong guy... You’re doing this to the wrong guy’... There are developers out there who are making games for [years] and some of them will go down purely because the revenue stream is basically flawed and creating this place where developers don’t see even a little part of it.”

Weerasuriya’s solution is simple: “I don’t think we should stop used games, but we should do something about getting part of the revenue back from GameStop and places like that. That’s not penalizing consumers; they’ll still get what they want.”

For more from Weerasuriya, including more about The Order: 1886 in particular, catch up on the rest of the interview here.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...+Tag_18085_981933_981942&utm_content=15539969

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
“I walked into a GameStop, asked for a new copy of a game and without telling me [the store clerk] tried to slip me a used copy and wanted to sell it to me for $5 less,” he later explained. “I flipped out in front of the guy. I was like, ‘Dude, wrong guy... You’re doing this to the wrong guy’... There are developers out there who are making games for [years] and some of them will go down purely because the revenue stream is basically flawed and creating this place where developers don’t see even a little part of it.”
:rolleyes:

How about your customer base doesn't want to pay $60 for your product and not be able to recoup some of their investment. Fuck you I will sell your product if I want, if its not Gamestop they will sell it on an ebay type site. This is true for everything else, why not games too.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
"That’s not penalizing consumers; they’ll still get what they want.”

What does that mean? They'll charge us more and what will we get in return? The same shit companies do to consumers now by forcing other ad revenue at us without our permission. I remember how Xbox Live used to only be games. Now the dashboard is flooded with ads on every page and they still have to balls to charge you every year and with an increase. The same goes for cable. We pay for cable which started out commercial free and now there is an ad about every 7 minutes with ads loaded in the menus and with popups during shows. I think cable starte at $20 a month. Fuck game companies. I'll take what I can get because in they end they will try and fuck you anyway. Do you think if we try and allow the used game market to be fixed they will change anything? Will the $50 game model ever return? I predict games will be $70 by Christmas of 2014.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I love how these developers are demanding money for used games. It's a dumb and greedy argument. GIVE US MONEY FOR RESALE!!! That isn't the way it works in America, bub. This comment is how I feel about the used game market.
pirate-t 7 minutes ago
i am getting sick and tired of this argument developers do not loose any money through the second hand game market, all costs are taken into account when games are released and priced.
to say they should get a slice of the money from pre owned games is idiotic, what comes next do we give ford a slice of what we recieve for our car when we sell it or give some cash to the builders of our house when we sell it. NO OF COURSE NOT this is just plain and simple greed there is no other sector who tries this on
the gameing industry should be ashamed of themselves

VicVinegar

Oct 5, 2012
All media wants to get rid of the consumer's ability to resell. If not then they want a piece. That is why the holy grail is digital distribution only. No discs to resell. No cases to manufacture and ship while giving brick and mortar retailers a piece.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
All media wants to get rid of the consumer's ability to resell. If not then they want a piece. That is why the holy grail is digital distribution only. No discs to resell. No cases to manufacture and ship while giving brick and mortar retailers a piece.
And when it's convenient they will gladly stop supporting your product when it's convenient making your online purchase useless.

Georgie

Jul 10, 2013
So does that mean the used car market is destroying automakers?

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Also why am I paying the same price for a digital copy that I'm paying for a hard copy? Fuck them. $60 for a game that is super flawed now a days at launch with day one dlc to finish the game fuck them right in the ear.

Georgie

Jul 10, 2013
And when it's convenient they will gladly stop supporting your product when it's convenient making your online purchase useless.
Exactly. I always buy the disc version if it is available because hard drives fail and there will be a time when the servers that you download the games from are gone.

I tried explaining this to the average idiot Xbox fanboy when the new Xbox was going to require online checks to play your game disc or DL telling them that it meant that any game they bought for that system would be nothing more then an extended rental and most of them just couldn't understand.

The PS4 will probably be my last game console as it will probably be the last physical media based console.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Exactly. I always buy the disc version if it is available because hard drives fail and there will be a time when the servers that you download the games from are gone.

I tried explaining this to the average idiot Xbox fanboy when the new Xbox was going to require online checks to play your game disc or DL telling them that it meant that any game they bought for that system would be nothing more then an extended rental and most of them just couldn't understand.

The PS4 will probably be my last game console as it will probably be the last physical media based console.
It is exactly what music is becoming. Google Music is pushing their music which essentially is the music version of Netflix. You won't own anything and your life's assets will essentially be the culmination of a collection of rental accounts where you leave nothing to anyone.