PSxx PS4 : News & Rumors

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Sony set to make pre-emptive strike on Microsoft with PS4
By Tim Kelly and Malathi Nayak | Reuters – 4 hrs ago

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp is expected to showcase a new PlayStation console on Wednesday in a pre-emptive strike against Microsoft Corp's bid to make its Xbox the world's leading hub for household entertainment.

The rare PlayStation event in New York comes amid industry speculation that Microsoft is set to unveil the successor to its Xbox 360, which beats the seven-year-old PlayStation 3's online network with features such as voice commands on interactive gaming and superior connectivity to smartphones and tablets.

"Their focus is on establishing a beachhead for the next generation of consoles, and that's what February 20 is all about," said P.J. McNealy, CEO and founder of Digital World Research. "The reality is they have been playing catch-up."

Pushing ahead of Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo Co Ltd's new Wii U could help Sony revive an electronics business hurt by a dearth of hit gadgets, a collapse in TV sales and the convergence of consumer interest around tablets and smartphones built by rivals Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.

Tablets and smartphones already account for around 10 percent of the $80 billion gaming market. Those mobile devices, analysts predict, will within a few years be as powerful as the current slew of game-only consoles.

After six years, Sony PlayStation sales are just shy of Xbox's 67 million installed base and well behind the 100-million selling Wii, analysts said.

A lackluster launch in November of the Wii successor, the Wii U, gives Sony a chance to focus on toppling Microsoft as all three battle the encroachment of casual gaming on tablets and smartphones. Nintendo cut its sales target to 4 million machines from 5.5 million for the year ending March 31.

STREAMING

Microsoft's answer to the casual gaming threat has been software that gives users extra content and allows them to surf the Internet from their mobile devices. The Xbox already streams Netflix and ESPN and links to tablets and smartphones using Windows or Apple's iOS and Google Inc's Android. Sony's PS3 online network has lagged.

"For Sony, they have to come out and make this PlayStation event the definitive statement of why gamers need to adopt the PlayStation 4 or PlayStation Orbis or whatever they end up calling it," said Greg Miller, PlayStation executive editor at video game site IGN.com.

Sony's purchase in July of U.S. cloud-based gaming company Gaikai for $380 million hints that the Japanese company will pursue a similar streaming strategy to Microsoft. Sony, industry watchers say, may also offer an expanded range of free games to counter the threat from casual gaming.

Sony, which under its CEO Kazuo Hirai is focusing on gaming, mobile devices and cameras, needs a hit product. But by betting on a PS3 successor, Hirai, whose most profitable business is life insurance, risks deepening consumer electronic losses as he will have to sell consoles at below the manufacturing cost to gain market traction.

That choice is made harder because the other two pillars of Hirai's new Sony - cameras and mobile - are losing money.

Sony expects to post a $1.4 billion operating profit in the current fiscal year. Yet, much of that rebound is gains from offloading real estate, including $1.1 billion for its New York headquarters.

The PlayStation event in New York starts at 2300 GMT (1800 EST).

($1 = 93.5200 Japanese yen)

(Additional reporting by Reiji Murai; Editing by Ryan Woo)
http://news.yahoo.com/sony-set-pre-...1lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QDVGVzdF9BRkM-;_ylv=3

VicVinegar

Oct 5, 2012
I don't like these rumors of it needing to "phone home" everytime you play. If internet is out, games are one of the few ways to amuse yourself. I don't need to play multiplayer all the time.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I don't like these rumors of it needing to "phone home" everytime you play. If internet is out, games are one of the few ways to amuse yourself. I don't need to play multiplayer all the time.
Yeah, that is awful. I hope they come to their senses or sales are shit. I can't play games because I don't have internet? Fuck you.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
PlayStation 4 unveiled at NY event
By PETER SVENSSON and DERRIK J. LANG | Associated Press – 1 hr 1 min ago

Email
Share7
Print

NEW YORK (AP) — Sony unveiled its next-generation gaming system, PlayStation 4, at an event in New York, saying the console will be part of a new ecosystem focused on hardware, software and "the fastest, most powerful gaming network."

"Our long-term vision is to reduce download times of digital titles to zero," said Mark Cerny, Sony's lead system architect on the PS4.

The new console is the Japanese electronics giant's first major game machine since the PlayStation 3 went on sale in 2006.

Wednesday's unveiling is Sony Corp.'s attempt to steal the spotlight, at least until Microsoft Corp. unveils its next Xbox in June, as expected, at the E3 video game expo in Los Angeles.

Among the PS4's revisions is an updated controller that adds a touchpad, motion control and a "share" button. The controller also features a light bar, which means a new PlayStation camera can more easily track the device.

Sony has struggled lately to keep up with Microsoft and other powerful rivals such as Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. The company is promising nifty mobile devices, sophisticated digital cameras and other gadgetry as part of its comeback effort.

The new device arrives amid declines in video game hardware, software and accessory sales. Research firm NPD Group said game sales fell 22 percent to $13.3 billion in 2012. One reason for the decline, analysts believe: It's been years since a new game machine was released. Most people who want an Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or a Wii already have one. But people also have shifted their attention to games on Facebook, tablet computers and mobile phones. Sony and other game makers face the task of convincing people that they need a new video game system rather than, say, a new iPad.

Last fall, Nintendo started selling the Wii U, which comes with a tablet-like controller called the GamePad. It allows two people playing the same game to have entirely different experiences depending on whether they use the GamePad or a traditional Wii remote, which itself was revolutionary when it came out because of its motion-control features. The GamePad can also be used to play games without using a TV set, as one would on a regular tablet.

The original Wii has sold more units since its launch than both its rivals, but it has lost momentum in recent years as the novelty of its motion controller faded. Nintendo said it sold 3.1 million Wii Us by the end of 2012. It was a disappointing start for the first of a new generation of gaming systems.

In some ways, notably its ability to display high-definition games, the Wii U was just catching up to the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, the preferred consoles to play popular games such as "Call of Duty" and "Red Dead Redemption."

All three console makers are trying to position their devices as entertainment hubs that can deliver movies, music and social networking as they try to stay relevant in the age of smartphones and tablets. The Wii U has a TV-watching feature called TVii. With it, the console's touch-screen GamePad controller becomes a remote control for your TV and set-top box. But Microsoft and Sony were ahead of the game in this front, too.

When the PlayStation 3 went on sale in the U.S. on Nov. 17, 2006, the 20 gigabyte model had a $500 price tag and the 60 GB version went for $600. They are now cheaper and come with more storage — $270 for 250 GB and $300 for 500 GB. Comparable models of the Wii U and the Xbox 360 both start at $300.

Sony, meanwhile, started selling a mobile gaming device, PlayStation Vita, last February. The Vita connects to the PlayStation 3, so players can play the same game regardless of whether they are using a console or a handheld system.
http://news.yahoo.com/playstation-4-unveiled-ny-event-001155255--finance.html

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Full size

ps4
Feb 20, 2013 6:17 PM 48,707

Here’s Sony’s New PS4 Controller

Luke Plunkett

Here's your first look at Sony's new controller for the PlayStation 4. It's got a touchpad, motion control and a "light bar" for identification.
There's also a "share" button, and the light bar, as well as being used to identify players with colour coding, is also the means via which a new PlayStation camera can track the pad for advanced motion controls.
The design is similar to prototype images seen previously, only with - as you'd expect - a little more polish. It's also great to see Sony deviate from the standard DualShock pad, smoothing things out and making the whole thing look a little fresher.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Games so far:
Diablo 3
Bungie's Destiny
Watch Dogs

I like the controller design. The touch pad is nice and out of the way.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I knew they weren't going to show the console. The are hedging their bets for E3. They should announce the price and show off the actual machine there. Out of all the games shown I want to play watch dogs and that car club game. A new killzone is meh, I really wish someone would come out with a new WWII shooter, it's been years since a decent one came out.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Controller looks better. I'm an Xbox owner but my loyalty is up for grabs this gen.

Dec 12, 2007
So no price tag yet?

Last I heard it was going to sell for 460$ worth of euros and before that I heard 400$ US. I'll wait at least a year no matter what the cost anyway since launch titles aren't worth buying a system over.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The event felt like an apology for everything that's wrong with the PS3 and addressed a lot of the criticisms of this generation. It also felt like the end of Nintendo's home console era.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
So no price tag yet?

Last I heard it was going to sell for 460$ worth of euros and before that I heard 400$ US. I'll wait at least a year no matter what the cost anyway since launch titles aren't worth buying a system over.
Destiny, killzone, diablo, Watch Dogs, you know they are saving the LBP 3 announcement for E3...That's pretty solid.

Dec 12, 2007
Destiny, killzone, diablo, Watch Dogs, you know they are saving the LBP 3 announcement for E3...That's pretty solid.
Destiny - multiplatform
Killzone - don't care
Watchdogs - don't care
LBP3 - never played any of the series

You show me Uncharted (the best PS3 game series IMO) and then things get interesting.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Destiny - multiplatform
Killzone - don't care
Watchdogs - don't care
LBP3 - never played any of the series

You show me Uncharted (the best PS3 game series IMO) and then things get interesting.
I'll be shocked if that's not a release title. How have not played LBP?

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Games so far:
Diablo 3
Bungie's Destiny
Watch Dogs

I like the controller design. The touch pad is nice and out of the way.
You missed DriveClub by Evolution (Motorstorm). It looks like a first person Motorstorm RC with real cars & real locations and all of the connectivity challenges that RC had, but on steroids. If that's what this game is, then I'll be getting it day one. Trying to beat PSN friends on RC over and over was a fucking blast.

Last edited:

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Wake me up if they announce MGS: Ground Zeroes or MGS5 as a PS4 exclusive. Even then, I still might not give a shit. I still don't own a PS3, even though I loved MGS4.

I might finally get a PS3 this year for The Last of Us, though.

SallieTomato

Here'sh The Thing
Jul 25, 2012
SOL.3
I watched it live at Polygon.
It was all pretty "meh", as all the cool kids say.

Why?
Simple.
According to Moore's Law, we should be in the 12GHz range of CPUs.
But how long have been stuck at 3GHz.
Sure, you can overclock, but 1] It's OCing & not out-of-the-box speeds & 2] OCing won't take you anywhere near 12GHz.

It's called "diminishing returns".
The jump from PS3 to PS4 won't be anywhere near as huge as, say, the jump from Nintendo64 to PS2.
The graphics of PS4, while stunning, still, because of what we're used to from this current gen,
are hardly what I'd refer to as being "mindblowing".

So maybe we have hit the wall.
John Carmack says iD's next graphic engine, after "DOOM 4" -- which uses the same engine as "Rage" does --
will be as far as computer graphics can possibly go.
Oh, well.
Maybe that's a good thing.
Now, instead of worrying about what's beyond oil paints, developers will now concentrate more on what's actually on the canvas.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I'll be shocked if that's not a release title. How have not played LBP?
Agreed on LBP. Just picked up LBP Karting for 20 bucks on Amazon a couple days ago. It's definitely a fun series.

I like the PS4 controller...touchpad makes alot of sense. And a share button? Oh no. Does this mean my Twitter/Facebook feeds are going to be clogged with "Your friend, _____, just played Motorstorm 5 and won 1st place!"? I noticed Sony was slowly easing into social networking. Honestly, my friends could care less about how my Be A Player guy was called up to the NHL in NHL 2013 or some shit like that. It's annoying.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens to console gaming over the next 10 years or so. People are becoming more and more content with playing games on their devices and the introduction of these super cheap Android TV/Gaming devices (OUYA, Nvidia, etc) could really change the way they market these expensive consoles with the expensive games to go along with it.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I'm glad they finally put a damned head phone jack on the system. Now I can actually use headphones that don't make me ears hot.