Public Enemies [Michael Mann Movie]

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Not sure if anyone else is excited about this but it's a new Michael Mann Depression-era crime drama. It's set to star Christian Bale as the FBI's first major G-Man Melvis Purvis going after Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd. Johnny Depp plays John Dillinger.

Michael Mann, Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, 1930s, I think it could be pretty cool.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
It's funny, I've never heard of Melvis Purvis, but like an hour ago there was a documentary on the History Channel about the 18 month crime wave that spread across the country from 1933-34.

It was the middle of the great depression, the tommy gun had just been invented, and J. Edgar Hoover was anxious to make the FBI the national police force. But basically they were a bunch of wet behind the ears morons.

I haven't watched the end of the show yet, but they portrayed Melvis during what I saw as a dolt. Melvis was in charge of the FBI in the midwest, they were chasing Dillinger, at one point two agents drove right past his him leaving his parents house and just let him go. They arrested Dillinger's girlfriend in a bar, while he was sitting outside in a car, and paraded her right past him. Then finally they went to where they knew Dillinger was hiding in Wisconsin and wound up killing an innocent guy who was working on one of the new deal projects while Dillinger snuck out the back of this lodge and got away in a canoe.

Maybe it should be a comedy.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
It's funny, I've never heard of Melvis Purvis, but like an hour ago there was a documentary on the History Channel about the 18 month crime wave that spread across the country from 1933-34.

It was the middle of the great depression, the tommy gun had just been invented, and J. Edgar Hoover was anxious to make the FBI the national police force. But basically they were a bunch of wet behind the ears morons.

I haven't watched the end of the show yet, but they portrayed Melvis during what I saw as a dolt. Melvis was in charge of the FBI in the midwest, they were chasing Dillinger, at one point two agents drove right past his him leaving his parents house and just let him go. They arrested Dillinger's girlfriend in a bar, while he was sitting outside in a car, and paraded her right past him. Then finally they went to where they knew Dillinger was hiding in Wisconsin and wound up killing an innocent guy who was working on one of the new deal projects while Dillinger snuck out the back of this lodge and got away in a canoe.

Maybe it should be a comedy.
I saw the documentary you're talking about and you definitely want to check out the ending. At first glance, it does seem to be comedic what Purvis went through, but in the end it was just the growing pains of trying to start the FBI. I'm in for this movie not only for the people involved in with it but that time in American history is very interesting.

GLENN_THE_TOOL

The reward is cheese.
May 23, 2005
as someone on Aint It Cool said:

Christian Bale + Johnny Depp + Michael Mann = my money opening day

Aizazzle

I always have a plan
Jul 27, 2006
Philly
I just saw it, and I was blown away. Depp did an amazing job portraying Dillinger. The cool, calm and collected approach worked wonders. I will go as far as saying this might have been the best acting in Depp's career. I knew the ending going in, but I was still rooting for Dillinger at the end. That's a sign of success with a character. The sheer audacity he displayed was enough for anyone to root for the man.

The rest of the cast did a great job too. Billy Crudup was exactly the right amount of creepy for Hoover. Cotillard did a nice playing the vulnerable love interest, but she truly shined in the interrogation scene. Bale's performance was kind of a disappointment. Maybe, it had something to with his character, but he was just too stoic to root for. It does hurt the movie, since the parts where Depp is off screen seem to go by longer.

One of my favorite scenes of the movie was the gun fight up in Wisconsin. If you still need a reason to watch the movie. This is it. I believe the entire 15 minutes of the fight were shot in HD cameras, and it shines through on screen.

I mentioned the audacity of Dillinger earlier. The scene where actually goes into the Dillinger Bureau has become one of my favorite scenes of all time. The sheer cheek he displayed is just fantastic.

The other one was when Dillinger's photo goes up on the movie screen as he just calmly sits there. Man that was fucking awesome.

Everything about the ending was excellent. The parallels between Dillinger and Gable are fully displayed as he says "Die the way you lived. Don't drag it out". Great decision by Mann to include actual footage from Manhattan Melodrama. As you watch Dillinger in the scene you know he realizes what has to happen. Depp was absolutely glorious in this scene.

Kudos to Mann for shooting a gorgeous film. The close ups of Dillinger and the lightning around his face are great. The grim darkness in the movie perfectly displays the Great Depression.

I do have one major complaint. Mann didn't elaborate on why it is that the public loved Dillinger loved so much. John was notorious for destroying loan and mortgage records in banks, but this was never touched on in the movie.

The movie has one or two flaws, but it is still brilliant.

Fendbass22

Jan 21, 2006
Maine
Are you kidding me? This movie SUCKED ASS. I have never wanted my money back at a movie more than this. The camera angles were horrible, Christian Bale's acting was absolutely worse than Dark Knight. It did not feel like one actor was connected to the part they were trying to play. The gun fighting scenes felt like I was playing Call of Duty. Every gun scene was a close-up shot of someone making the "grit my teeth cause its so hard to hold onto this gun while firing" face. You barely ever saw anyone get shot up it was just the camera showing someone firing blanks at nothing for all you know they never show were the bullets end up. Save your money. If I wanted Law and Order style cinematography I would have stayed home - I would have enjoyed it better.

I figured I'd add something positive. Johnny Depp had a decent performance but I have definitely seen better from him.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
So, I saw this.

My take on it: I'd give it 7/10. It's definitely a good movie, but really, I LIKED it. I didn't love it.

So I feel kind of conflicted about it. I felt that it should have been better than it was, but that's somewhat confusing, since I do still believe it's a good film.

Though I wouldn't consider it strong enough for Oscar contention, I can see Depp getting nominated (he was the best part of the film), and with them expanding the number of Best Picture nominations to ten, I can see it getting a Best Picture nom too.

7cent

Dec 5, 2004
somewhere, ca
i agree..good movie, definitely worth seeing if you want to go to the movies..but I wouldn't cancel any plans to check it out

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
May 2, 2005
Lexington, KY
I thought it was ok, nothing special. The dialogue audio seemed really low at times, like it was too far under the dramatic music. That, along with Bale's whispering made it hard to understand. Depp did a good job, but I think it was about 20 minutes too long.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I liked it but it wasnt great. Depp was really good as Dillinger but overall I wasnt that enamored with the movie.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
There's one major mistake they made with this film - WHY in the name of fuck would you film a period piece in digital? It looks absolutely horrible. Even the sun-drenched Miami scenes looked dark and gloomy. Michael Mann usually makes visually interesting films, even if the story doesn't work. Here, every exterior looks like it was an overcast day, and every interior looks like it was lit by a half-dead flourescent lamp.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Are you kidding me? This movie SUCKED ASS. I have never wanted my money back at a movie more than this. The camera angles were horrible, Christian Bale's acting was absolutely worse than Dark Knight. It did not feel like one actor was connected to the part they were trying to play. The gun fighting scenes felt like I was playing Call of Duty. Every gun scene was a close-up shot of someone making the "grit my teeth cause its so hard to hold onto this gun while firing" face. You barely ever saw anyone get shot up it was just the camera showing someone firing blanks at nothing for all you know they never show were the bullets end up. Save your money. If I wanted Law and Order style cinematography I would have stayed home - I would have enjoyed it better.

I figured I'd add something positive. Johnny Depp had a decent performance but I have definitely seen better from him.
So it was like every Michael Mann film from the past 10 years. And update your point of references sir Terminator 4 Christian Bale was the worst there is no topping it's awfulness.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Actually, Terminator 4 is a perfectly acceptable Hollywood summer sci-fi action film.

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
Jul 1, 2005
Corona, CA
I thought Bale was quite good.

However, for as long as the film is... it didn't seem like much happened. And am I crazy, or did I notice some green electronic light reflecting in Depp's glasses a few times, especially outside of the movie theater?

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I saw it last night and like others said, what should have been an absolute slam dunk - wasn't. I don't think it did enough to build up how big and (for lack of a better word), loved John Dillinger was. All they did was show him not taking the bank customer's money and people cheering him on his way to jail.

It was very good and Depp was awesome, but I feel for 150 minutes there should have been more.

I'm getting the book on Monday and am looking forward to learning what was and wasn't accurate in the film.

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
Saw it on Friday and although it wasn't anything amazingly special, it was pretty good. Mann's direction wasn't up to par with some of his better work but it was far better than most shit you encounter in the theaters these days, (at least mainstream theaters, that is). Yet, Johnny Depp saved me from disliking the film because he turned in one of my favorite performances of his career. Just a performance that made me feel like I was watching Dillinger on the screen, robbing banks and running from the cops. He was overall very "cool" in the role. The script was pretty decent, surprisingly enough. And, I didn't think the HD camerawork was distracting at all, let alone did I think it took away from the film as a whole.

Crudup was great as J. Edgar Hoover, and I didn't think Bale was really anything special in his performance as Melvin Purvis. The shootout at the hide-out house in the woods really was a great and well shot scene. Good movie overall, good not great. My only major gripe is that the characters in the background surrounding the central characters weren't introduced or developed well at all. I'd still reccomend people who are interested in the history check it out though because it's a good film in that respect.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Pretty good, Some inaccuracies, especially with George nelson, he was killed months later Dillinger was killed months before nelson was killed. Pretty Boy Floyd was also killed Killed in October, While Dillinger was killed in July.