puppy during a 10 hr drive...any help?

highway23

I miss NY wings
I'm getting ready to drive up to Syracuse on Thursday. It takes exactly 10 hours to get there from here.

We're bringing our 5 month old hellian (boston terrier/rat terrier) and I'm just wondering what some of you have done with your dogs during a long trip?

Someone told my wife today to give him Dramamine but I have no idea about that shit...and it sounds insane.

We're thinking of just leaving him in his crate during the drive, stopping to get gas (usually about 5 hours in) and letting him run around...shit/piss and then hop back in.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Newmania

**I move away from the mic to fuck your mother.
Put that fucker to sleep.

highway23

I miss NY wings
your sig pic fits you perfectly hahaha

Nah, he's a good shit

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
Find a Vietnamese cook. :)

highway23

I miss NY wings
holy fuck, that's a hell of a pistol right there...what is it?

speedyjuice

Ich Bin Eine Ackbagger
...5 month old ... Someone told my wife today to give him Dramamine...
No drugs... Most terrier's are good travlers, besides a dog that young and that small won't do well with a sleeping pill, and, if he is in his crate, he will probably sleep most of the trip anyway. Just leave the radio on low and don't talk to loud or he'll want to be out with you.

we're thinking of just leaving him in his crate during the drive, stopping to get gas (usually about 5 hours in).
Five hours may be too long, you wouldn't want to bounce around in a car with a full bladder for longer than you have to. So, unless he is doing well at home in the crate, you may want to stop more often. I take my dog out to walk at least every two hours when I'm trucking... cleaning up the mess takes more time than it does to stop:icon_mrgr.

Ps. don't let him eat a lot right before you leave, but when you stop, give him a few bites of food and some water, that will help keep him from getting sick.

highway23

I miss NY wings
No drugs... Most terrier's are good travlers, besides a dog that young and that small won't do well with a sleeping pill, and, if he is in his crate, he will probably sleep most of the trip anyway. Just leave the radio on low and don't talk to loud or he'll want to be out with you.

Five hours may be too long, you wouldn't want to bounce around in a car with a full bladder for longer than you have to. So, unless he is doing well at home in the crate, you may want to stop more often. I take my dog out to walk at least every two hours when I'm trucking... cleaning up the mess takes more time than it does to stop:icon_mrgr.

Ps. don't let him eat a lot right before you leave, but when you stop, give him a few bites of food and some water, that will help keep him from getting sick.
thank you sir, I was afraid I'd have to kill my puppy.:icon_mrgr

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
I always drugged mine. But then again he was a Siberian Husky like........ awwwww fuck, never mind.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Get some peanut butter, get some doggie pills, and get ESD......

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
yeh definitely take it out of the car for a trot a few times. and even give it water once or twice maybe in the car if you can a bit before you pull over. they get dehydrated fast (but you dont want to stuff it).
i drove my last pup about 3 hours when i bought her (doberman) she was pretty restless and didnt travel good but i had a friend drive so i was able to entertain her for the ride. i didnt crate but its probably not a bad idea. i did like 1 stop an hour but i was trying to be cautious. it was a new car. usually puppies arent shy about pissing wherever they are so i doubt the dog would injury itself holding it in because its in a car.
have fun!

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
You better hope he dont start puking... I had a puppy get carsick once... it fuckin stinks so fuckin bad... that was 25 years ago, and i can still smell it... bleeech/

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I drove two days with two rat terrors once. The male was a traveling companion, he didn't care. His wife was hyper. The vet gave me some doggie downers and it put that bitch on her ass. She wanted to run but her legs wouldn't work. I kept her drugged for the trip and had to carry her out to pee.

NortonsHeiny

Ronnie B Rocks my Fat Ass
I travel to dog shows all over with my Bull Terriers. They do fine without drugs, just need to pee here and there. We just drove to St. Louis and did about 10 hours of driving each day and they were fine. They usually sleep.

At least a dog will sleep or be quiet, not bark the whole time.

Have you ever had to take a cat somewhere? the vet is bad enough, but an hour or two of that sickening low moan meow is a horrible drive

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
I suggest taking him on a couple of smaller trips just to see how he does in the car. The next would be just to stop every couple of hours for a break. I don't see sedating him would help. Cats on the other hand like absolutely said need to be sedated or they will drive you nuts with that moaning meow sound they make.

Ya a series of small trips is the best way to go... luckily my Border Collie and GSD are fine in the car... only downside is that I think the GSD is going to eventually have the backseat to herself as she is getting wicked long. Even now I take them on short trips to the store and shit.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
My parents give their dog (a maltese) children's Benadryl - ask the vet - but just a fraction of a dose to calm her down. She's only about 5 or 6 pounds fully grown.

If your dog is used to going more frequently than every 5 hours, don't expect it to hold it for longer.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Yeah, definately start with some smaller trips around town or whatever. And like others said, don't feed him much before you go. I've also read (and used) having the window or windows down just a crack can help prevent the car sickness.