Pushing Daisies [ABC-Wed]

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
It's been picked as the best new show of the year by the vast majority of critics.

It's from Brian Fuller, he wrote many of the best episodes of Heroes, last year.

He created "Dead Like Me" and "Wonderfalls".

Does anyone care?

I honestly thought it's too odd to make it. It should be on cable, it's too niche oriented to make it big.

I loved "Dead Like Me" and really liked "Wonderfalls" but do admit they were shows with a couple great episodes that then didn't know what to do.

I'm predicting the same thing for Daisies. But what the fuck do I know.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
It looks WAY too cutesy for me. TRYING TOO HARD.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I DVRed it out of idle curiosity. Ill probably watch it tomorrow after work if I have time.

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
I just watched it and I'm not sure what I just saw. I think I have to see a couple of more to know if it totally sucks or is just really innovative and could take off. It's definitely very niche, so it's surprising to see it on network TV.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
This show is way too brilliant to survive on Network TV. I'm watching every week but I'm fully aware that the show is living on borrowed time.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I want to see it...I loved Dead Like Me ...I hope they show replays on Sci Fi like the other shows

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
Another thread to plug that Dead Like Me may not actually be dead.

I found on IMDB that there will be a Direct to DVD movie of it next year that's already been made. If there is enough interest MGM may bring it back for another go on TV.

Here's the article :

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/1300000330/post/1410012741.html

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I'll be disappointed when this show's minute is up. And more chicks should wear sundresses.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
If he brings dead people back alive but has to touch them again to kill them again or someone else will die, how come when he brings fruit back to life to make his pies nothing happens?

Did I miss something?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
If he brings dead people back alive but has to touch them again to kill them again or someone else will die, how come when he brings fruit back to life to make his pies nothing happens?

Did I miss something?
1) The rules for humans might be different from the rules for everything else
2) If he's putting it a pie he might be rekilling it (by chopping or slicing or whatever).

WeToYou

I am fucking pointless.
Jan 18, 2006
As a big fan of Deal Like Me, I have no choice but to give it a chance.

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
Jul 1, 2005
Corona, CA
I loved Wonderfalls, and I loved the first episode of this show. It seems like a slightly sunnier Tim Burton show. Definitely my favorite new show of the season. Also, when they went to see the two aunts, there was a song from the Amelie soundtrack playing, so I love the show even more. No homo :)

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Just speculation....(since I have not seen the SHOW YET! Don't ruin it for me!!!!) Fruit is not alive...it is food for the seed within it, like the matter around an egg yolk.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
This sounds like a good premise for a movie, but I think it'll get old real fast on a weekly series.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Yeah, I recorded it, so I'll be looking at it later, probably some time this weekend. I really loved Wonderfalls, so I might like this.

It does get major props for having Jim Dale as a voiceover guy. Harry Potter audiobooks FTW!!

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
In series-premiere news, ABC's critically applauded Pushing Daisies opened on a winning note, with a 9.0 rating/15 share in the metered markets from 8-9 p.m. Although that pales in comparison (in the overnights, that is) to Dancing With the Stars on the year-ago evening (12.3/19 on Oct. 4, 2006), it was still 20 percent above No. 2 time period occupant Deal or No Deal on NBC (7.5/12). And this is a solid start for Pushing Daisies.

Week three of CBS' uneventful Kid Nation finished third in the 8 p.m. hour, with a 5.1/ 8 in the overnights. Comparably, that trailed year-ago occupant Jericho (6.7/10 on Oct. 4, 2006) by a considerable 24 percent. With Survivor not what it used to be, I still don't understand the need to air a clone, only with kids aged 8 to 15. Next up were Fox's comedies Back To You (4.5/ 7) and 'Til Death (4.2/ 7), and America's Next Top Model on the CW (3.7/ 6). The unfortunate news for Back To You was another week of losses (three week metered market track: 6.8/11 -- 5.0/ 8 -- 4.5/ 7).
It opened great, as should be expected. I just wonder if it will wind up fading like "Back To You". It's really a pretty safe time slot, nothing against it really performs that great.

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
Jul 1, 2005
Corona, CA
i would touch them with my penis.
I wonder if that would make a difference... I hope a few new "rules" come into play now that he will be touching more and more people. Just to keep it interesting. I do hope they stay away from explaining his power unless they can come up with something really good.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
I finally watched it last night...LOVED IT! It's way too quirky for network TV so I'm hoping that if it doesn't make it, it will go to a cable station....although, if network people were smart, they would have figured out that the reason people are flocking to cable stations is because the content is better.

I'm curious as to how the show will evolve and if it will keep its quirkiness. So far, my favorite new shows are this, Journeyman, Chuck, and Bionic Woman (can't help it, the wannabee kickass girl in me comes out). Am still hanging onto a couple other new ones on the DVR.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I just watched it a little while ago, too. The show is definitely waaay too cute for its own good, but even so I found myself rather enjoying it (normally I dont go for this kind of thing). Ive already set my DVR for this week's episode; glad to hear that it did well ratings-wise, too.

Oh, and as far as the 'Two Touch Rule' or whatever, I wonder if they could get around if he wore gloves a la Rogue from XMen ?

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
It's way too cute. I don't think I'll be watching it for that long.

Is this another case of the critics not being connected with general viewers ala "Studio 60" last year?

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Lost 3 million viewers from week one. But still had it good in the key demos. I still have my doubts about it, my girlfriend who had been praising the pilot since we saw it last May turned to me half way through it last night and said "I think I'm over this already". I just wonder if it's going to keep loosing steam, especially once the episodes not directed by Barry Sonnenfeld start airing.

-Ratings Breakdown:
It was a Wednesday of mixed leadership, with CBS the most-watched network and ABC No. 1 among adults 18-49. ABC and NBC shared bragging rights from 8-9 p.m., with game show Deal or No Deal first in total viewers (12.49 million) and second among adults 18-49 (3.1 rating/9 share), and week two of ABC’s Pushing Daisies just the opposite at 10.07 million viewers (#2) and a first-place 3.6/11 in the demo. Compared to its debut one week earlier (Viewers: 13.03 million; A18-49: 4.3/13 on Oct. 3), Pushing Daisies dipped by 2.96 million viewers and 16 percent among adults 18-49. But a winning finish in the demo keeps it in the winner’s circle. As for Deal or No Deal, wasn’t watching that contestant lose everything at the end painful to witness?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Lost 3 million viewers from week one. But still had it good in the key demos. I still have my doubts about it, my girlfriend who had been praising the pilot since we saw it last May turned to me half way through it last night and said "I think I'm over this already". I just wonder if it's going to keep loosing steam, especially once the episodes not directed by Barry Sonnenfeld start airing.
Here's what I think. It's a cute show. It's a cutesy show. I like it but I don't love it. It's nowhere near the greatness that was Wonderfalls. And because it's too, I guess, nice, I can't imagine it getting a huge post-death cult following. But I do like it, I like the actors, and I want to see if it grows (cute moments + death of the week can get real old real quickly). I don't want it to go away but I won't be pissy if it does (like I would were we to lose Journeyman or Chuck).

However, of the major new shows I watch from this season (Chuck, Reaper, Bionic Woman, Journeyman and Pushing Daisies) it is definitely below Chuck and Journeyman. I still don't know where it ranks wrt to Reaper (also below Chuck and Journeyman) but it's above Bionic Woman.