Putin Dissolves Russian Government: Return of Soviet Empire?

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
AP
Putin Dissolves Russian Government

By MIKE ECKEL – 1 hour ago

MOSCOW (AP) — President Vladimir Putin dissolved Russia's government Wednesday in a major political shakeup ahead of parliamentary and presidential elections, the Kremlin said.

The dissolution is expected to result in a new prime minister, who will be seen as Putin's choice to succeed him after he steps down next spring.

The newspaper Vedomosti, citing unidentified Kremlin officials, reported that Sergei Ivanov, a first deputy prime minister and a leading contender to succeed Putin, could be appointed to replace Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov.

Another first deputy prime minister, Dmitry Medvedev, who is a top executive at natural gas monopoly OAO Gazprom, is considered the other leading contender.

Under the constitution, Putin has two weeks to propose a new head of government, which the lower house of parliament, the State Duma, then has a week to vote on. Russian news agencies said Fradkov would serve as acting prime minister until the vote.

Fradkov said he asked for the dissolution of the government because with elections approaching, Putin needed to have a free hand to make decisions, including those concerning appointments.

Parliamentary elections are scheduled for Dec. 2, followed some three months later by presidential balloting.

"You might be right that we must all think about how to structure the government so that it better suits the pre-election period and prepares the country for what will happen after the parliamentary and presidential elections," Putin said.
Hosted by Google

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Putin Removes Prime Minister, Cabinet Ahead of Russian Elections

Wall Street Journal

Putin Removes Prime Minister,
Cabinet Ahead of Russian Elections
By GREGORY L. WHITE
September 12, 2007 7:50 a.m.

MOSCOW -- In an unexpected move, Russian President Vladimir Putin removed his prime minister and cabinet Wednesday, ratcheting up political uncertainty as the country heads into parliamentary and presidential elections.

There was no immediate word of who would replace Mikhail Fradkov, a Soviet-style technocrat who Mr. Putin plucked from relative obscurity when he appointed him in 2004, just before the last presidential elections.

The news came amid rising speculation in the Russian press that Mr. Putin would install as prime minister his favored candidate to succeed him as president next year. Vedomosti, a leading Russian newspaper, quoted a Kremlin source as saying Sergei Ivanov, now first deputy prime minister, would be promoted to prime minister, making him the overwhelming favorite to win presidential elections in March.
[Vladimir Putin]

But initial reports of the sudden government resignation were sketchy and included no hint of who Mr. Putin has in mind as a new prime minister. In a Kremlin meeting, Mr. Putin accepted the resignation of Mr. Fradkov and his government. Mr. Fradkov said he wanted to give the president full freedom to arrange the political system ahead of the elections. Mr. Putin agreed and asked Mr. Fradkov to stay on as acting prime minister until Parliament confirms his replacement.

"We all must think about how to build the power structure so that it better corresponds to the pre-election period and prepares the country for the time after the Parliamentary elections and after presidential elections," Mr. Putin said.

Mr. Putin, who has presided over eight years of economic and political recovery in Russia, enjoys 70%-plus approval ratings, as well as virtually total control over the tightly managed political system. He is obliged by a constitutional term limit to step down at the end of his current term. Mr. Putin has said he will endorse a candidate for president, which would make that man certain to win, according to analysts. But Kremlin officials have said Mr. Putin likely won't make his endorsement public until after the parliamentary vote in December, so speculation has been rife about who he might choose.

No top government official has announced themselves as a candidate, but Mr. Ivanov and another first deputy prime minister, Dmitry Medvedev, are both viewed as the most likely front runners. Mr. Ivanov, a career intelligence officer and former defense minister, has more foreign-policy experience, while Mr. Medvedev, a lawyer by training, has worked primary on domestic issues.

Analysts said that the choice between the men is likely to be more one of style than substance, since they both are loyal supporters of Mr. Putin's policy line, which has combined some elements of market economics with tight political and social control.

Mr. Fradkov, a trade bureaucrat who began his career in the Soviet era, achieved little distinction as prime minister during a period in which all major policy initiatives came from the Kremlin, not his government.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
I say we dissolve the US Goverment and put GlennDandy in charge.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
commies are back in town I see

Cromwell

Sep 28, 2004
Westbury, Long Island
Its hard for me not to root for a 54 year old guy, who has a martial arts black belt, works outs and goes hunting shirtless.

(grrrrr - hot)

Too bad he's a commie asshole. If he were on our side, he'd be G. Gordon Liddy. :icon_cool

Jan 6, 2006
Finally ... a Russian leader with some balls.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
Douchebag international civil libertarians, comment?
Comment on what? You think maybe we should go over and topple Moscow and install a new government? Works great everywhere else.

Oh nevermind. I guess if and when they ever threaten us we'll just pull up the mar... or the arm... wait, the rese...

Shit. They're all busy.

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
One good thing that could come out of this is more buildup of military technology and missle defense. It helps to have an obvious clear-cut enemy to get everyone on board with military spending.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Lol, Neocons.

Anyway:

Russian official: The Soviet Union will be pleased to offer amnesty to your wayward vessel.
American official: The Soviet Union? I thought you guys broke up.
Russian official: Yes, that's what we wanted you to think! [laughs]

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
This might be a good thing. I wonder if those Europeans will start appreciating the US again now that Russia has suspended it's involvement in the conventional arms treaty that ended the cold war?

This might be a good thing. I wonder if those Europeans will start appreciating the US again now that Russia has suspended it's involvement in the conventional arms treaty that ended the cold war?
So basically what you're asking for is coerced appreciation, or respect? We simply force people by the position they are in to like us?

Yeah that's really the American way.

I'd love to know when it happened. When I fell asleep and woke up in some proto fascist shithole posing as America.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
So basically what you're asking for is coerced appreciation, or respect? We simply force people by the position they are in to like us?

Yeah that's really the American way.

I'd love to know when it happened. When I fell asleep and woke up in some proto fascist shithole posing as America.
thats a giant leap in logic. his point was that it would be good if our allies realized the hypocrisy of often hating the US as a world power after the cold war, but desperately wanting out protection during it.

T

TheGooch

amazing how this news doesn't get a shred of coverage on the major networks who are more focused on Britney's flab

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
amazing how this news doesn't get a shred of coverage on the major networks who are more focused on Britney's flab
It's not what the shitty US citizens want to see, hear, hrummmmph or even read about. Oh did I mention that the name "Putin" or Russia does not produce the all mighty GREEN.