Qantas Tests In-Flight Cell Phone Use

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Qantas Tests In-Flight Cell Phone Use
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139019/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws
The airline extends its trial of permitting passengers to send e-mail and text messages while flying.
Renai LeMay, Computerworld New Zealand
Monday, October 29, 2007 06:00 AM PDT

Qantas Airways Ltd. expects to release preliminary results of its in-flight phone trial later this year.

While the technology is almost ready to allow passengers to use their mobile phone during flights, they shouldn't expect to do so anytime soon.

Qantas has extended until February 2008 a technology trial that allows passengers to send text messages and emails from their mobile phones during flights, with the plane acting as a mobile phone tower. Passengers roam onto the tower as they normally do when travelling overseas.

In April, Australia's communications regulator, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), gave Qantas a 12 month window of opportunity to temporarily test the service on one of its planes, a Boeing 767 travelling domestically.

While Qantas had initially flagged plans for a three-month trial, company spokeswoman Holly Williams told The Australian Financial Review last week the test period had now been extended, and was slated to finish early next year.

"They figured they might as well use the entire period to evaluate customer responses," Ms Williams said of Qantas's technical team.

Qantas expects to release preliminary results of the trial later this year.

Qantas's efforts come as other carriers, such as Dubai's Emirates Airlines, flag similar trials this year although most remain concerned that mobile phones, which use a specialized form of radio waves, have the potential to interfere with in-flight signalling equipment.

Virgin Blue spokeswoman Amanda Bolger said the carrier did not offer any internet, SMS or mobile phone options on its planes, although the matter was under consideration.

ACMA and other government groups will consider permanent regulatory arrangements for in-flight mobile services once Qantas releases its results from the trial.

The Qantas trial involves the use of a so-called network control unit that acts like a tiny mobile phone tower connected by satellite to ground networks.

In-flight mobile voice services could also be even further away than mobile text and email services. Qantas's trial does not allow voice services, reportedly due to the need to prevent talkative passengers from disturbing others.

Passengers on Qantas flights can already communicate via available telephones located in their seats. However, they may soon have another option.

In July, the airline announced it was planning to buy a number of Airbus A380s, which would provide wi-fi internet capability throughout the plane. This is in addition to in-seat access to email, the internet and SMS.

The planes will also feature USB and ethernet ports as well as the ability to power laptops.
Great .. with my luck I'll somehow wind up in the middle seat between a woman with a wailing baby and a yenta who can't stay off the phone for 5 minutes

THIS would be a reason to open the door of a plane ... to throw her and her damn phone out!

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
First airplanes, then comes the subways. The cell phone free sanctuaries are starting to disappear.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Oh man, how fucking annoying is that going to be, sitting on a 5 hour flight surrounded by assholes shouting in their phones all the time. As if flying isn't already miserable enough.

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
First airplanes, then comes the subways. The cell phone free sanctuaries are starting to disappear.
They already have the subways, only here it's called the Metro and your phone only works if your network is Verizon.

So cell phones can work from airplanes? This means they'll have to go back and edit Loose Change again.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Qantas has extended until February 2008 a technology trial that allows passengers to send text messages and emails from their mobile phones during flights, with the plane acting as a mobile phone tower.
Right. Like I'm supposed to believe it'll end with texts & emails? UGH!

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
This means they'll have to go back and edit Loose Change again.

I'm guessing that by the time the get to version 45, it'll basically be a movie version of the 9/11 Commission report.