Question for any construction guys

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I recently came into posession of a house built in the 1940s. There's a leak in the basement, coming from a small metal door in the wall marked "Wheeling". There doesn't seem to be anything behind it except an open hole. But this is definitely where the water is coming from. Any idea what this is?

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
there's no such thing as an open hole... or a hole with no end.

where does it go?

I'm betting drywell.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Assuming it is the drywell, why would it be backing up? We haven't had a lot of rain recently, and the leak keeps coming slow but consistent.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Wheeling is a manufacturer of, among other things, doors..
That doesn't help much in figuring out why someone installed it.

Pics?

Maynard K

Get it right, it's Dopey & Aintfunny!
Nov 5, 2004
NJ
sounds like foundation seepage. That, or theres some water pipes above the dumb fucking door. Get your ass in there with a flashlight and find it!

Maynard K

Nov 5, 2004
NJ
Wait did you day a house from the 40's with a wheeling door? Dude do NOT go in that door. I just did a search on wheeling doors and they were used to hide away poltergeists and evil spirits. That leakage could be the souls of the dead familys before you.

ok i'll stop.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
this thread is useless without pics.

get in there. Don't worry.. that thing that just ran over your foot was a cat. I swear.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
ya know.. those kids that filmed the blair witch project made some bucks.

Just sayin.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Nobody's going in there . . . when i say a small door, I mean less than a foot square - some sort of access hatch. Not that it doesn't still freak me out a bit . . . I can absolutely imagine rats or roaches come flying out at me if I shine a flashlight in there. And I'm not dumb enough to do it at night.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Nobody's going in there . . . when i say a small door, I mean less than a foot square - some sort of access hatch. Not that it doesn't still freak me out a bit . . . I can absolutely imagine rats or roaches come flying out at me if I shine a flashlight in there. And I'm not dumb enough to do it at night.
Drive into westbury or somewheres with a bottle o chivas and I'm sure you'll find someone ready to jump in there.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
it could be a coal door, or access to the bottom of your chimney, or the gate way to hell. either way i would open it water in the basement is bad

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
What kind of foundation is it? Is it built with concrete block, brick, or wood? Need some pics of the door and the door opened to tell you for sure. Either way it might be a weep hole but I never would have thought they would have a weep hole in a basement. (A weep hole is used to bleed water through a wall to release stress on the wall) You say that the hole goes nowhere but where is nowhere? Is it a short hole, deep hole, going into dirt, going to a fabric on dirt? Lots of questions but they help answer your question.

Apr 22, 2005
Bucks Co., PA
Check the missing child reports fromthe past 60 years and break through the wall to see how many skinny cougars are in there.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
it could be a coal door, or access to the bottom of your chimney, or the gate way to hell. either way i would open it water in the basement is bad
That's my guess, an old coal chute delivery hatch. One foot square is pretty small for that kind of thing if that's what it is. The coal delivery truck would just back up to the house, open a chute thing similar to a modern concrete truck, and fill your coal bin down the chute into your basement.

BigWilly

Just thoughts, no prayers.
Dec 11, 2004
Lakewood, CO
I bet the other end of the hole lets you look through the eyes of John Malkovich.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Is this little door under your fireplace perhaps? And if it is, is there a little trap door in your fireplace? The trap door's where you sweep the ashes and the little wheeling door's where you clean them out. Unless I miss my guess, I say your chimney's not capped or the cap blew off or askew letting rain fall in there and then leak out thelittle door which is at the bottom of said chimney.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
I recently came into posession of a house built in the 1940s. There's a leak in the basement, coming from a small metal door in the wall marked "Wheeling". There doesn't seem to be anything behind it except an open hole. But this is definitely where the water is coming from. Any idea what this is?
DO NOT GO THROUGH THAT DOOR

it's a worm hole to W.VA

Special Eddie

I'M A VIOLENT EXTREMIST!
Feb 28, 2005
Rockland, New York
Most likely a Ash Pit Cleanout. The hole is probably where a knob was to open it.
If there is no fireplace or chimney above the door, then it may have been removed when a new heating system was put in.
And the ash pit filled in with dirt, where rain collects now.
Have a mason change the door if you have fireplace. If not, have him brick it closed.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
There's no fireplace in the house, and as far as I know, there never was. I think it is directly beneath the chimney, though. It's on the wall right behind the gas furnace.

I look forward to the inevitable photoshop jobs on the second pic.

Maynard K

Nov 5, 2004
NJ
Rust and mold, not too good there. The problem is coming from above, see if theres a vent or stink pipe on the roof, it could be leaking. Also keep an eye on it next time it rains, you gotta stop the water from coming in like that. I might put my money on a poorly flashed chiminey, it might need to be touched up with some roofing cement temporarily.