question for beer connoisseurs

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Any body know of any good stores where I can start seeking out some hard to find brands? In FL, I used to have a place called "the world of beer" (original, I know) which boasted over 500 brands. Basically, there was twelve 6' high coolers, and no one slot had the same beer. Great place to find new brews. Any help finding a place similar to this would be appreciated. :icon_mrgr

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Any body know of any good stores where I can start seeking out some hard to find brands? In FL, I used to have a place called "the world of beer" (original, I know) which boasted over 500 brands. Basically, there was twelve 6' high coolers, and no one slot had the same beer. Great place to find new brews. Any help finding a place similar to this would be appreciated. :icon_mrgr
Uh. Where? I can tell you of a shitload....if you lived anywhere near me.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
ummmm. yea aaaahhhhh. yep. a beer store

Suicidebree

Two, Zero, Two Infantry
Dec 20, 2004
Jersey
whole foods has a pretty good selection.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
ugh... inability to edit your posts really sucks.

so yeah. I am in the central Connecticut area.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
This will be of no help at all unless your ever in pa. In the lehigh valley mall there is a store/restaurant called Mr. Dunderbachs (not sure of spelling, and not sure if its a chain). But they have tons, and you can mix and match a 6 pack. The wife gets me a gift certificate every year for christmas.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Well, can't help you in Conneticut but I will throw in my favorite in Central Ohio

The Andersons

they have a kick ass beer (& wine) selection... and also have a mix n match.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
beer of the month clubs are great and all, but they completely destroy the ability to pick what I want if I find one I like. Then, it's back to square one of wanting a great beer, and not having a place to buy it at.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
This will be of no help at all unless your ever in pa. In the lehigh valley mall there is a store/restaurant called Mr. Dunderbachs (not sure of spelling, and not sure if its a chain). But they have tons, and you can mix and match a 6 pack. The wife gets me a gift certificate every year for christmas.
I loved Shangy's Beer Emporium out in Emmaus, PA

as for Beer Stores/Depots in CT...I got nothin :icon_conf
The best place that I've got down around me in Stamford is BevMax ..where in "central CT" are you? There's one up in Hamden

(yes I know the website focuses on Liquor/wines, but the stores themselves typically have a nice large beer selection)

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
as for Beer Stores/Depots in CT...I got nothin :icon_conf
The best place that I've got down around me in Stamford is BevMax ..where in "central CT" are you? There's one up in Hamden

(yes I know the website focuses on Liquor/wines, but the stores themselves typically have a nice large beer selection)
I'm in the New Britain area... right in between Bristol and Hartford. I work in North Haven during the week though, so if you know of any places in New Haven, the additional 10-15 minutes out of my way would be worth it.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
a lot of places will order you a case of a certain type of beer if you ask for it, ive special ordered lots of stuff, sometimes you can even buy it direct from the brewery, luckley theres several micro brews within driving distance of my home, and i like beer from them all

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
Pretty much any basic beer distributor you can find whatever you want

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
a lot of places will order you a case of a certain type of beer if you ask for it, ive special ordered lots of stuff, sometimes you can even buy it direct from the brewery, luckley theres several micro brews within driving distance of my home, and i like beer from them all
I actually tried to do that. I went to a store tonight on my break, and asked if they could order it after seeing that they didn't carry it. The guy took out his ordering book, and it wasn't in there. This freakin sucks. I really wanna get some of my beer, and it's no where to be found. I might have to special order it from out of state and have it shipped here.:icon_lol: Maybe I can still find a store that will be able to get their hands on it, but I am losing hope now.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
what are you looking for?

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
I went to a store the other night, and they actually let me peek at their catalog from their supplier. I had thought it's [sarcasm]incredibly easy to spell and pronounce name[/sarcasm] had a different spelling. I CAN GET IT!!!!!!

Since this is available here (to some extent... has to be special ordered apparently), let me school you all.

Ladies and gents, let me introduce you to Weihenstephaner. Weihenstephaner, this is everyone.

Product Description:

A classic, unfiltered wheat beer from the world's oldest operating brewery. The Hefe boasts fruity banana and citrus flavours, which are complemented by creamy yeast flavours, spicy notes, and a smooth malt backbone. Full bodied and very complex, it's undoubtedly one of the best wheat beers in the world. The Weihenstephan ("Sacred Stephen") Brewery is the oldest operating brewery in the world.

In 1040, the Benedictine monastery overlooking the town of Freising, in Germany, was granted the right to brew. It has also been established that the Benedictine monks had already brewed their own beer much earlier than this. Even as early as 768a hops garden was founded in the grounds of the monastery, the harvest of which was certainly brewed in the monastery; which, incidentally, also means that beer made with hops, as we know it today, came into being at Weihenstephan.

The reputation of the Weihenstephan brewers as true masters of their craft has grown in strength over the centuries, and today’s modern commercial brewery – and the world’s best known University of Brewing – occupy the former monastery buildings. The Weihenstephan Brewery maintains close links with the University. In the brewery, students from around the world are let into the secrets of the Bavarian art of brewing. Many of the world’s best brewers have been trained here and many breweries draw their yeasts from the famous Weihenstephan yeast library. Weihenstephan combines hundreds of years of brewing experience with the most up to date brewing technology and innovation.

Tasting Notes:

Pours out of the bottle a cloudy golden pale body with a magnificent creamy head. Aromas of light citrus, clove, yeast and fresh wheat. Tastes spicy with a smooth malt background, fruity banana overtones, spicy clove, citrus, and even peach. Wonderfully rich yeast flavours. Full bodied, and very complex in flavour.

One of the best wheat beers in the world.

Leif