Question for you Mac experts

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Ok here's my situation.

I got a few old G3 Imacs recently to mess around with.

I am having the same problem with all three. They are all different models, 1 tray loading 333, one blueberry 350 and one graphite 400 DV. When I boot the computer, the computer boots up normally but the display doesn't turn on. The chime sounds and the computer is booting normally. I got the blueberry 350 to turn its display on by installing OS X 10.0 on it somehow.

The other two still won't turn on the displays when booting. I know it's not a logic board problem since I can plug in an external display just fine. I do a google search and most hits that come up advise a firmware update but that's only if installing Panther or better OS. I'm just putting 10.0 on and I'd even leave OS 9 on if it meant the displays would turn on.

SO I'm thinking it's some sort of issue with the sleep mode, but again I've also flashed the PRAM and NVRAM.

I know it's not hardware failure since all 3 did the same thing and I got one of them to work somehow.

I think it may have something to do with them being unplugged for a period of time and having dead PRAM batteries.

Anyone else know anything about this issue? It seems to be common since every Imac I've come across does the exact same thing.

(and before the mac bashers start in, just give it up. these computers are 10 years old, what the hell do you expect? i'm not starting a pc vs. mac argument, i'm trying to get some help)

hybriddriver

she is ice cream
i had the same thing happen with my iMac 500 DV+. if i can remember how i resolved it, i will let you know!

(sorry for the more useless than usual post)

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
i had the same thing happen with my iMac 500 DV+. if i can remember how i resolved it, i will let you know!

(sorry for the more useless than usual post)
Yeah it pretty much happens to EVERY iMac. I'm pretty sure it's a PRAM battery issue but I know there's a workaround. I didn't pay anything for these things and I'm not about to buy batteries for them just to sell them later.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Well to make things more interesting, I left them unplugged overnight and one of them booted up just fine. Then I shut it down normally and when rebooting it went right back to blank screen.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Do you have anything plugged into the ethernet port?

If so, unplug it while you boot up...

The only issue I've ever seen with "no display" was resolved through unplugging the electrical cord form the unit for about 5 minutes, then power-up without any cables attached at all (i.e. - ethernet, usb, firewire, etc.)

stellarcomics

Ya got me with that one.

Try MacFixit.com

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
I'm just gonna sell the stupid things let someone else worry about it. I thought it would be fun to play around with older Macs but they're almost as frustrating as old PCs.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Old anything = not as fun...

pussy, computers, TV's, etc.

Newer=gooder

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator

kidohio

is the mac a good buy? i have a pc and im thinking of making the switch? advice?

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
I love mine, but I only do paperwork, Photography and web surfing with it. If you accept that most games aren't on Mac, unless you use Bootcamp, then most everything is available on a Mac. There will be a lot of people tell you that Macs are more expensive but if you compare similar-configuration systems from Mac with a pc, the prices are pretty close.

kidohio

I love mine, but I only do paperwork, Photography and web surfing with it. If you accept that most games aren't on Mac, unless you use Bootcamp, then most everything is available on a Mac. There will be a lot of people tell you that Macs are more expensive but if you compare similar-configuration systems from Mac with a pc, the prices are pretty close.
i noticed that too, i have hp right now and i tried buliding both and its almost the same price. whats bootcamp?

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
is the mac a good buy? i have a pc and im thinking of making the switch? advice?
http://wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=89781&highlight=mac

http://wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=82774&highlight=mac

http://wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=83285&highlight=mac

some reading to help out

and my view : what do you need a computer to do and will you service it yourself?

i'm very pro mac too btw :)

i just helped my mom buy a new macbook for mothers day/retirement and am hooking her wireless up tomorrow!

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
i noticed that too, i have hp right now and i tried buliding both and its almost the same price. whats bootcamp?
it's the brainwashing camp steve jobs sends you to. mmrrmpphh mmrrpphh

no, actually it is software from Apple to let you run windows on your Mac. Kinda of a boot loader. It has some missing stuff for windows to run on the macs wifi and bluetooth and a couple of other things

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Bootcamp allows a Mac to duel boot Windows and OSX. I have tried it a few times and had Vista running on mine for a few months when it was released and just hated it. It is a pain in the ass to duel boot for me. The newer versions of Parallels allows more video card usage, I can run Autocad 2005 in Parallels and a couple other programs and they all run fine in it.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
I got my Mom this Linksys Wireless-N Router, for Mothers Day and connected and tested with the following :
Macbook 10.5 (Mom's retirement present)
iPod touch 1.14 (my newest toy)
Toshiba XPS2 (my work laptop)
Dell600m XPS2 (my gf old laptop)
eMac 10.4 (my Mom's old Mac - now my Dad's golf score keeper)

All network easily and I love that router!

I love 10.5 too.

Top Bottom