kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/21/showbiz/rem-disbands/index.html
R.E.M. to 'call it a day as a band'

By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 4:55 PM EST, Wed September 21, 2011

Michael Stipe, Mike Mills, and Peter Buck of R.E.M. perform on NBC's "Today" show in 2008.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Three decades of work "was a hell of a journey." Michael Stipe says on website
  • NEW: Band members "walk away as great friends," says Peter Buck
  • NEW: "We built something extraordinary together," Mike Mills says
  • Group formed in Athens, Georgia, in 1980; first hit single was in 1987

Los Angeles (CNN) -- It's the end of the R.E.M. as we know them and they feel fine, according to a statement from the group posted online Wednesday.
"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band," the message said. "We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening."
Michael Stipe, Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Bill Berry started playing alternative rock together in Athens, Georgia, in 1980, but their first hit single came with "The One I Love" in 1987.
"It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" followed from the same "Document" album, securing their mainstream radio appeal.
Front man Michael Stipe declined to be interviewed by CNN Wednesday about the decision to disband, which comes six months after the release of "Collapse into Now," their final album.

R.E.M's Stipe talks about new album
Stipe, in a CNN interview in June, said the members "surprised ourselves with this record. We're all really thrilled with it."
He and his fellow band members did offer comments on their website.
"During our last tour, and while making 'Collapse Into Now' and putting together this greatest hits retrospective, we started asking ourselves, 'what next'?" Stipe said. "Working through our music and memories from over three decades was a hell of a journey. We realized that these songs seemed to draw a natural line under the last 31 years of our working together."
Michael Mills said it was not an easy decision.
"A wise man once said 'The skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave,' Mills said. "We built something extraordinary together. We did this thing. And now we're going to walk away from it."
Peter Buck said the band members "walk away as great friends"
"I know I will be seeing them in the future, just as I know I will be seeing everyone who has followed us and supported us through the years," Buck said. "Even if it's only in the vinyl aisle of your local record store, or standing at the back of the club: watching a group of 19 year olds trying to change the world."

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
I don't know if it matters, but since they've been pretty popular for like 25 years or so, I figured I'd mention it.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
REM's last two albums actually did fairly well...I kinda "liked" them both, but they still just couldn't capture the sound and energy they had earlier in their careers. It wasn't that experimental shit that they morphed into after Bill Berry left. And that's pretty much it in a nutshell...since Berry left, they just couldn't recreate that energy from the Document days, or Out of Time days.

But during the Berry days, they were one of the most successful alt rock bands, and even more importantly, their music influenced a shitload of other bands...some big like Nirvana and Radiohead and some commercially small, like Pavement, Sonic Youth, and Live (I guess they weren't all that small). Personally, I think some of their real early stuff...Murmur, Fables, Lifes Rich Pageant...is some of best music I've heard. I can still listen to any one of those early albums beginning to end.

With all of that said, they just weren't the same band since 1997...so I dunno, I kinda think to myself that they broke up then. And Stipe is a dope.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
i can honestly say that i have never liked them and nor do i care about them breaking up. that's just me though

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
Never hated them, they put out a few catchy rocking tunes once a decade or so. Plus they have a few "iconic" songs

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
REM was a HUGE musical influence on me back in the 80's. I was already into electric 12 strings, but Peter Buck made them cool again. Their sound was an amalgamation of everything I loved. It was the sound in my head that I hadn't heard anyone make yet.
Saw them 4 times, I think, and they were always great.
Looking back, REM was the soundtrack of my first marriage. I got her into them, and they became her favorite band. I still associate their early stuff with "back when things were good."
It's kind of bittersweet seeing them hang it up. Losing Bill Berry really took the wind out of their sails, I think. Stipe and Mills got kind of self-indulgent, and I think Pete was getting frustrated with them, based on the Robyn Hitchcock doc I saw with Peter touring with him.
30+ years is a pretty good run, and it's best for them to go out with dignity as friends instead of just going on for years sucking. (Like The Stones)

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
REM was just one of those rock bands that died out in the mid to late 90's. They made a couple songs that sounded like their early 90's hits...but it just wasn't the same and it kinda got stale. Plus the songs were never really given a fair shot since the airwaves were dominated by techno, hip hop, dance shit. And that's the same for other rock bands through the 90's, especially the alt-rock bands like STP, Pumpkins, and Pearl Jam. U2 was headed that direction with Pop...but they kinda made the best of it and stayed relevant.

But pop music, IMO, has just become shit over the past 15 years. Maybe it's just me getting old.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Drive was my favorite song of theirs. I didn't mind the CD that came out a few years ago, but really they've been irrelevant for over a decade.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Their early stuff was amazing. Then fame came along and ruined them, maaan.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I actually think New Adventures in Hi-Fi was their best album. In fact, I think the band has even admitted that it's their favorite also. Which is kinda surprising since alot of it was Monster leftovers and was recorded on the road. And Monster was good too. It kinda got me a reprieve from kids in high school when I'd tell them I was an REM fan. All they remembered was the uber-gay Shiny Happy People video, but I was able to say, "Nonono, they're loud now!" They never did play that song live after 1992. And Let Me In was a pretty powerful song...Kurt had just died, and River Phoenix died just before it. And it was just eerie hearing it on Kurt's guitar like that. They did a great job with that song.

[yt]rNKIOOYOEOs[/yt]

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Vert bummed. Saw them three times live. Haven't liked their newer stuff either but I played the shit out of their records in the 80's and 90's.

Maybe his band mates were just jealous of his luscious hog.

[nsfw]No homo. :action-sm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/craigm6/rem-frontman-michael-stipe-nude-photos-nsfw-2ikv?s=mobile [/nsfw]
Yeah, I read some story about those pics when I was reading about the breakup. (by mistake, of course :icon_cool) And the story was dated like, 9/20/11. In the back of my mind, I thought it was odd how they broke up a couple days after those pics came out.

He's got some girth though...;)

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I wanted to like them, I really did. Then Michael Stipe pulled that bullshit PSA "look at me wearing 35 t-shirts with messages on them and tearing one off every 5 seconds" bullshit at the MTV awards. Even at 13, I thought that was enough douchebaggery to bother with.

Off-White-Power

High maintenance, low tolerance
May 12, 2007
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Well "it's the end of the world as we know it" I guess ... (am I really the first person to say this???? Slackers)