OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Racial Profiling Rife at Airport, U.S. Officers Say

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

:smackhead:

2. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

El al has been doing it for years seems to work for them

3. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

The problem is?

4. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Racism in Baferston... that's unpossible...

5. bb1mobile

bb1mobile wackbag's special mod
    Wackbag Staff

I'm all for profiling. It works.

6. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

I don't think I'd stop a black guy (or girl) for expensive clothing or jewlery, but if they look like a gangbanger, here's an idea... dress appropriately for a plane flight. It's not hard.

7. Hudson

Donator

I think they are talking about people that are N-word-ing it up.

8. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

Well, within reason I would probably allow some "gang banger" type clothing, but over the top "look at me, I'm so ghetto, I'm a gangsta" clothing would warrant an immediate "get the fuck over here" from me if I was a TSA guy. (Yeah Kirk, I believe sometimes profiling is warranted. So fucking what.)

9. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Actually, I think Kirk is a fan of profiling. He's always argued that we should be targeting Arabs instead of grannies and 6 year-olds. I've tried explaining to him we've been secretly doing this under the radar for awhile now, but now it looks like the jig is up on that one...

10. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

I agree but some black guy sporting his bling and baggy pants isn't the kind of person you have worry about trying to take over a plane.

11. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

No not at all.

12. Hudson

Donator

And Gone!!!

[video=youtube;C3viQHsBFc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3viQHsBFc4&feature=related[/video]

13. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

People tend to dress to attract a response from someone else. You gotta look at the folks who are trying to be nondescript first.

14. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Like these fine gentlemen rushing through the airport to make their business meeting in DC that day

[​IMG]

15. Hudson

Donator

People who dress to be nondescript..are dressing to elicit a response. Getting up and dressing in jeans and a sweatshirt or clothes you feel comfortable in is a world away from dressing to be nondescript.
    Case in Point: undercover Secret Service agents were at a funeral I was at locally, protecting Nancy Pelosi. My father and I spent 5 minutes picking them out.

16. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

This is why I wear tuxedos.

17. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

I thought you were just a classy gentleman.

18. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

I used to do the same thing around Fort Bragg. The squirrel types around there all tried to dress down and be nondescript... but they all did it in the same way. If you knew what to look for, it made them easy as shit to spot. Body language goes a long way with that, too.

19. caniseeyourtaint

caniseeyourtaint Passive agressive douche

That's racist!

20. Hudson

Donator

Exactly.

Oh and my Dad was Special Forces and FBI.
    But I think I learned about body language more in EMS and Lifeguarding than anything my Dad said to me.

21. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Did your dad get training the Reid technique?

22. Hudson

Donator

No, idea. From reading that.. it sounds like we use a modified version in EMS for people who we suspect are on drugs and alcohol, but especially suspect OD.'ed.

23. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Ahem.

24. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Only when added with boo.

25. Hack Hawk Down

I've never worked in law enforcement, security or border patrol, so I don't know if racial profiling works or not. My thoughts are pretty black and white on it: if it works, use it, if it doesn't don't waste time and resources on it.

As a result, I have to objectively, based purely on evidence say that its probably not as effective as other methods because that's what the evidence shows:

"William Press, a professor of computer science and integrative biology at the University of Texas at Austin, now realizes we don’t have to weigh this dilemma at all. Racial profiling, he has concluded, simply doesn’t work. Never mind how you feel about it. The math doesn’t add up.

Plucking out of line most of the vaguely Middle Eastern-looking men at the airport for heightened screening is no more effective at catching terrorists than randomly sampling everyone. It may even be less effective.

Press stumbled across this counterintuitive concept — sometimes the best way to find something is not to weight it by probability — in the unrelated context of computational biology. The parallels to airport security struck him when a friend mentioned he was constantly being pulled out of line at the airport.

“He’s not on any do-not-fly list, and it occurred to me it was exactly this phenomenon,” Press said. “Either explicitly or implicitly, there was some kind of profiling going on, and the same innocent individual was being screened over and over again. That draws resources away from the screening that would find the bad guy. I realized those were basically the same problems.”

Racial profiling, in other words, doesn’t work because it devotes heightened resources to innocent people — and then devotes those resources to them repeatedly even after they’ve been cleared as innocent the first time. The actual terrorists, meanwhile, may sneak through while Transportation Security Administration agents are focusing their limited attention on the wrong passengers."

Racial Profiling Doesn’t Work Says Israeli Airport Security Chief

Rafi Ron, the former chief for security at Ben Gurion airport argues that racial profiling is not effective. Ben Gurion in Tel Aviv is Israel’s largest airport and has a generally excellent reputation for security.

Ron squarely addresses the effectiveness of racial profiling:
    “One of the problems with racial profiling is that there is this tendency to believe that this is the silver bullet to solve the problem. In other terms if you are a Middle Easterner or if you are a Muslim you must be bad. If you are a European and Christian, you must be good.
    But back in 1972, Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv was supposed to be attacked by a Palestinian. It was never attacked by one. It was attacked by a Japanese terrorist killing 24 people and it was attacked in the mid-80s by a German terrorist with blue eyes and blonde hair answering to the name Miller.”

Ron even goes on to blame the failure to spot shoe bomber Richard Reid as the terrorist was because of racial profiling. Ron cites testimony from a flight attendant at the foot of the airplane door that Richard Reid entered. According to the attendant’s testimony, Mr. Reid “name” and “perfect English accent” persuaded her to allow him on the plan despite her initial misgivings with his behavior.

Perhaps hearing a security expert who served at an airport with a track record of success will help persuade administration officials that profiling does not work and is not effective.