Racial Slur by Investigator may let Jayson Williams off the hook for Murder

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
December 11, 2007

New Jersey prosecutors for five years hid the fact that one of their investigators in the Jayson Williams manslaughter case used a racial slur to describe the black ex-NBA star, a court filing revealed yesterday.

The failure by former prosecutor Steven Lember and others to tell defense lawyers about the racial epithet - and the later punishment of the unidentified investigator - raises the prospect that a judge will dismiss all charges against the former New Jersey Net forward before a scheduled retrial next month.

Prosecutors are required to tell defense lawyers about any evidence that could be used to clear a defendant.

Williams' lawyers revealed in court papers yesterday that they learned of the slur in October, only after Hunterdon County Prosecutor J. Patrick Barnes disclosed it in a letter to Judge Edward Coleman.

Defense lawyers claim that if they had known about the unspecified slur, they could have introduced it as evidence at the original 2004 trial, and used it to cast doubt on the case against Williams.

"It is absolutely mind-boggling to learn that for five years, the Hunterdon County Prosecutor's Office has participated in a strategic coverup to protect a racist," Williams' wife, Tanya, told The Post.

"Consequently, my husband was denied his constitutional right to a fair trial. I am outraged and saddened by this enormous turn of events."

Williams' attorneys yesterday asked Coleman to compel prosecutors to disclose details of the slur, including what exactly was said and the investigator's identity.

Lember fired back, telling The Post he has been made to be "the fall guy" and that it was "disingenuous and malicious" for Barnes to declare that he "didn't have access. . . since it was an investigation he controlled."

Lember, who prosecuted Williams at the first trial, quit the prosecutor's office last August following a falling-out with Barnes.

Williams, 39, was convicted in 2004 of crimes linked to his botched attempt to cover up the fact that he was holding a shotgun in his New Jersey mansion on Feb. 14, 2002, that fired and killed limo driver Costas "Gus" Christofi. But jurors deadlocked on whether he was guilty of reckless manslaughter.

Williams - who has not yet been sentenced for the post-shooting coverup - is due to be retried on the manslaughter charge next month. Jury selection is set for Jan. 7.

Southtown

Aug 10, 2004
So if a investigator calls a black guy a n**ger, he gets away with murder? Makes perfect sense to me :icon_conf :huh: :rolleyes:

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
So if a investigator calls a black guy a n**ger, he gets away with murder? Makes perfect sense to me :icon_conf :huh: :rolleyes:
Sometimes I think our legal system is fucked up beyond repair.

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
That's cool. I really liked Jayson Williams. Sure he fucked up, but who doesn't. He seemed like the one athlete who actually got it.

He took care of his crackhead sisters kids, he was always giving to the community and besides, I think he is half white.

Capt.Caveman

Totally unlikeable
Jan 13, 2005
closer to a playground then allowed by law
That's cool. I really liked Jayson Williams. Sure he fucked up, but who doesn't. He seemed like the one athlete who actually got it.

He took care of his crackhead sisters kids, he was always giving to the community and besides, I think he is half white.
but he's still half a n!gger.....i'm just sayin

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be

What does committing a crime have to do with taking care of his sister's kids or giving back to the community? Because he's a "star"?

Do you know how many regular people commit crimes are taking care of family and/or giving back to the community? Quite a few. I'm one of them...I kicked an asshole's 1995 Mustang in 2003 allegedly causing over $600 in damage - a felony in New York. The judge didn't care that my sister has MS and that I help her with the kids. The judge didn't care that I work part time for my parish church. He didn't care that at that time I was also volunteering my time as a religious education teacher & was part of the children's mass planning committee. He didn't care that having a felony on my record was going to mean the end of my job with the state. And neither did the Assistant District Attorney handling my case, although he eventually agreed to let me plead to a misdemeanor.

So...what makes Mr. Williams so much more special that I??

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
A couple of things...

Jayson Williams was not charged when murder, it was reckless manslaughter. On his way to a charity event he was goofing around and twirling a gun like a cowboy in the back of his limo when it accidentally went off, killing the driver. Stupid definitely, and he should pay for his crime, but there wasn’t any intent to kill the guy.

In any case, if the investigator in your case is using racial slurs against you then you have a right to present that in your case as evidence. I am not saying it should or even should not make a difference, but you do have a right in this country to defend yourself thoroughly in a court of law.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
He was already home, and everyone was drunk. He used Harlem globetrotters to try and work his story before they called the cops.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Same shit happened with Mark Fuhrman and the OJ case.

I don't give a shit if this cop was galloping on a white horse around his neighborhood in full KKK regalia, it has nothing to do with anyones guilt or innocence in any crime.

I can't wait for the Chinese to take over, because blacks are in for a wake up call if they think their race card jibber jabber is going to work with them. This asshole would have been blindfolded and shot by now.

Have fun while it lasts, I guess.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I don't give a shit if this cop was galloping on a white horse around his neighborhood in full KKK regalia, it has nothing to do with anyones guilt or innocence in any crime.
If Al Sharpton (who is a blatant racist) accuses a white person of particular crime, don't you think that person accused has a right to cast doubt on what Al is saying by bringing up his character? Even a more pertinent example, what if Al is hired by the police to do investigations? Wouldn’t you want his past brought up if he accused you of something?

Again, your right, the investigator could be a complete racist and still be telling the truth regarding the facts of this particular case. One thing does not necessarily have to do with the other. But that is really not the point…

The point is accused people have a right to defend themselves and to fully present their case in our country. If information was purposefully withheld from the defense, the prosecution broke the most basic rule of evidence disclosure. If the investigator using a racial slur had nothing to do with the facts of the case, then fine, the jury will decide that. But the defendant has a right to present evidence in his or her favor.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
It's one thing if the crime is made up by someone who is racist, this wasn't made up. He shot the guy. There's a big difference there, it simply should not have an effect on the outcome of the trial if one of the many investigators says the dreaded N word ( and face it, if you deal with criminals on a daily basis and that word doesn't escape your mouth, then you just might be Christ himself).

Everyone has a right to defend themselves and bring up whatever they can to do so, but it shouldn't be a get out of jail free card for anyone, and no one is going to come to a white guys defense if the likes of Al Sharpton wants his head on a platter. If some white guy was accused of murder and a black detective called him "white boy" or whatever silly slur, do you think they would drop the case against him if his lawyers brought up that fact? They would laugh in your face.

I understand the need to champion the perceived "underdogs" of the world, but this race card shit is getting out of hand. I've said it before I'll say it again: this ain't 1930s Mississippi anymore. At what point does making amends turn into bending over and taking it in the ass? Commit the crime, do the time, racist remarks or not.