Radios

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Well, thanks to one of my shooting buddies, I am not being sucked into the radio world. I recently got a small handheld programmable radio that does VHF and UHF, so I can use it to talk to him at the range. Plus I am going to be working on my FCC licenses to be able to push it to full power without getting people pissed off and wondering who I am.

So, anyone here using any kind of ham radios? What about the little electronic store FRS walkie-talkies?

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
We used the FRS radios for a long time while hunting. I liked my Midland set, but they didn't talk too nice with Motorola radios which everyone else used so I ended up switching.

Midland radios:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001WM73P0/?tag=wackbagcom-20

We're just starting to use VHF radios instead. A little more bulky but much clearer and better range.

I use this one and like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Waterproof-Two-Way-Marine-MHS75/dp/B001J5MQ20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385618338&sr=8-1&keywords=vhf radio

The problem is it's illegal to use on land. I don't know if that's actually enforced, but I would be careful if in a public area. It probably carries a ridiculous fine.

I am considering getting into ham radios.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
When will you be purchasing your remote control helicopter?

Is your girlfriend potty trained yet?

How much Nazi memorabilia have you purchased so far?

What will be the name of your radio pogram?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I have some frs radios and a handheld vhf i used on my boat never had much time to bother with it my dad was the radio guy but too cheap to get a ham

blazin

Before cell phones and pagers, I used to have an Antron 99 on the roof of my parent's house with my Cobra 25LTD Classic and Astatic D104-M6B power mic.

I'm talking CB radio here. I hung out on channel 19.

My neighbors used to get pissed off I bled right over their phones with my pre-pubescent voice "BREAKER BREAKER"

Before cell phones and pagers, I used to have an Antron 99 on the roof of my parent's house with my Cobra 25LTD Classic and Astatic D104-M6B power mic.

I'm talking CB radio here. I hung out on channel 19.

My neighbors used to get pissed off I bled right over their phones with my pre-pubescent voice "BREAKER BREAKER"
My basement lair of evil.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Is that contact spray or cheese spray? I sometimes get mine mixed up. My Peavey amp smells like Western Wisconsin.

Note: My C.B. handle was "Sharpshooter". Not as frolicsome as Diamond Dust, but hey.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
I wonder if @WoodenPlank will use the call sign "Wrangler".

Fixed

Last edited:

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I have one of the Wouxan hand held radios made by our future overlords, cheap but seems to work

thought I could use it as a scanner replacement but my local PD uses digital and Sheriff is boring around here

blazin

Heh nice...

Ive been thinking about hooking up my CB and seeing if its just static. I cant imagine anybody talking on it these days for leisure. Back in the day it was like a party line.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Heh nice...

Ive been thinking about hooking up my CB and seeing if its just static. I cant imagine anybody talking on it these days for leisure. Back in the day it was like a party line.
most truckers leave theirs turned off, the only ones you hear are the insurgents speaking their gibberish

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Heh nice...

I still use the one in my vehicle occasionally back home. Log truck drivers still use them on dirt roads and to talk to equipment operators at the mill.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
I've been licensed for almost 20 years. I got my ticket just after my 17th birthday. It's never been easier or cheaper to get in to it. As stated above, you can get those cheap Chinese dual band HT's for $40 or so. You couldn't touch one for under $400-500 back then.

I still have all my original gear sitting in boxes. Just got out of it after cable internet came to my town in 98.

I bought a brand new $1000 all band, all mode transceiver in 2008, and blew my knee out falling off of a 3-foot step ladder putting up an antenna that same day. I took that as a sign, and sold the damn thing at $200 loss having never put power to it or even taken it out of the box.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Time to drag up the dead.

I just passed my tech and general exam about 2 weeks ago.

I am fucking convinced that the VEC's were living examples of "The People of Walmart" and after having listened to some of the conversations that go on, it is like listening to "The People of Walmart".

Got a Kenwood TH-D74A along with the Kenwood KMC-45D mic. Tossed the rubber duck off of it and put a Diamond tri-band antenna on it and also ran coax inside my Jeep Wrangler and have a 37" Diamond on the high mount third brake light. I can put the radio in a Ram mount I have attached to my Vector Offroad bar in the Jeep. Works good so far.

I still haven't spoken to anyone on the damn thing yet. Been more interested in the APRS and GPS tracking with it so far.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
There are these things called cell phones.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
chiapeteater the Radio Guy. May your foray be as successful as Don's.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Except for when you take your Jeep overlanding in the desert and then there is no cell signal......
Isn't the whole point of overlanding in the desert to NOT have to talk to people?