Raiders IMAX re-release

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
http://screencrush.com/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-imax/

Exclusive: ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ Getting an IMAX Re-Release

by: Mike Sampson 6 hours ago

Can’t get enough ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark?’ Well, you’re about to get a lot more. To help promote the upcoming release of the Indiana Jones Blu-ray Box Set, we can confirm that Paramount will be re-releasing ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ in IMAX theaters this September.

As it went through the restoration process for Blu-ray, Paramount and Steven Spielberg also worked with IMAX on reformatting ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ for 70mm. The ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ will IMAX re-release will hit theaters starting on Friday, September 7th and run through until September 13th. (The ‘Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures’ Blu-ray box set hits shelves on September 18th.)

The IMAX re-release is expected to include both traditional IMAX and the Digital IMAX Experience (i.e., Fake IMAX). In addition to the IMAX re-release, ‘Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade’ will screen in 70mm at Austin’s Alamo Drafthouse from August 31st to September 6th.

An official press release is expected in the coming days with more information on exactly what theaters will be showing the IMAX re-release.

UPDATE: Steven Spielberg, who personally oversaw the IMAX conversion, says that no special effects or other visual elements of the film were changed and spoke to the New York Times about why he wanted to re-release ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ in IMAX and said:

It’s the only marked contrast we have to the generations that are seeing our movies on phones and hand-held platforms. It’s a complete relief to be able to see a film that many people have just experienced on a palm-sized platform technology, suddenly hurled at that them on an Imax-sized screen.

If you’re curious as to how a movie shot in 35mm gets reformatted to the 70mm IMAX format, Gizmodo has a good primer on how technicians achieve this.

We’ve seen ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ in 35mm on the big screen before but to be able to see it on the really big screen will be something no fan will want to pass up.

(Thanks to Latino Review’s @elmayimbe for the reminder…)
Fffffffuck yes!

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Are they going to replace the guns with walkie talkies?
Steven Spielberg, who personally oversaw the IMAX conversion, says that no special effects or other visual elements of the film were changed
That's the only reason I'm excited about it.

Doctor it in any way and I'm out.

Don't turn into the crusty queen in your avatar. ;)

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I just saw Raiders on the big screen a couple of months ago. I guess I can see it again.

Here's my hope. If this works out, maybe we'll see more classic movies in IMAX. When I was watching Prometheus, I was thinking I'd go to "Lawrence in Arabia in IMAX." It would be great to see Star Wars in IMAX, but unless we have some rebel badass of a projectionist, we'd be stuck with

I can't do that.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Spielberg later apologized for making those changes in E.T.

This week, Spielberg screened Raiders of the Lost Ark to celebrate that movie’s 30th anniversary. At that event, Spielberg was interviewed in front of a crowd and asked if he felt the need to go back and change things in his movies. The director responded, “I tried this once and I lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but simply because I was disappointed in myself. I was overly sensitive to some of the criticism E.T. got from parent groups when it was first released in ’82 having to do with Eliot saying “Penis Breath” or the guns…and then there were certain brilliant, but rough around the edges close ups of E.T. that I always felt, if technology ever evolves to the point where I can do some facial enhancement for E.T., I’d like to.”

But he didn’t stop there. Spielberg continued “… it was okay for a while, but then I realized that what I had done was I had robbed the people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. and I regretted that.” (massive applause) “... the only contrition that I really performed was when E.T. came out on DVD for the first time, I asked Universal … when you release this on DVD you have to come out for the same price of one DVD, you have to put two movies in the box and one movie will be the 1982 version and the other will be the digitally enhanced version. I’d like to ask you this, let’s do a little poll here, cause I know we’re coming out with the Blu-ray of E.T., if I just came out with one E.T. on Blu-ray, 1982, would anyone object to that?” (loud NO from the audience.) “Okay then, so be it.” (huge applause)
I think he has a new appreciation for keeping the old stuff untouched. From what I've seen about the Jaws Blu-Ray, it is a massive project intended to restore the original to top condition without changing anything. The only digital stuff they did on that was to clean up certain scratches and flaws from the original reels, but they did it using footage from other frames in the sequence, as opposed to creating from scratch.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I wouldn't mind seeing more classic films reset in IMAX as
long as the original film and effects are left intact.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I wouldn't mind seeing more classic films reset in IMAX as
long as the original film and effects are left intact.
I think they just did Ghostbusters at a Fathom event but no IMAX. I'd re see tons of films I have on DVD if they could give them an IMAX treatment. Ghostbusters included.

Mobile Biv

Jun 9, 2012
somewhere near Seattle
I'm so in. So many movies id like to see this happen to. 2001/2010. Alien/s. Predator. The first Star Trek movie. Superman 2...

I'm using my phone, so get herpes.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I saw Wrath of Kahn on the big screen a couple weeks back. Not IMAX, but still big screen. The model work is so intricate and you really do appreciate the vastness of space when it's not cluttered up with thousands of ship.

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
Oh boy, I hope he digitally reinserts Jabba the Hut, and makes the space port busy with activity, because that's the way he meant it to be.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I'd be happy to see it on a 35mm screen. The last time I was able to see it on the big screen was back in '01 in a high school auditorium. It was for some charity and all their showings were sold out. The closest IMAX is 120 miles away, but I'd make the drive.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Will the digital effects added to the TV HD Broadcasts in the last 5 years be on the Blu Ray? Or did that go away like the ET added cgi shit?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I may give it a shot sometime this week.

I was also at an AMC where they were advertising their all-day showing of the Four Indiana Jones movies, and I think the ad (before the feature) only showed one clip from Crystal Skull.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
So how does it look? I was thinking of seeing it tonight. Is it worth it?
The odd thing is, blown up on an IMAX screen (and presumably on the new Blu-ray), you notice little problems you didn't see before, like the camera occasionally losing focus in some of the two-shots. The sound has been remastered as well . . . in the Peruvian cave scenes, you can hear water dripping from the ceiling.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
I would've loved to see that! I never got to see it on the big screen. The only Indy movies I saw in the theater were Last Crusade and Crystal Skull.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I saw a restoration of Raiders a couple months back. Never saw the other two. I did see Crystal Skull on the big screen.