Ramen

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)

I've been eating this shit non-stop lately. "I feel like I'm in college", wocka wocka! But ya, it's damn good. I usually stock up on couple big crates of Chicken and Beef Top Ramen when I have to go to the supermarket and restock my fridge and shelves. It gets plain if you eat it by itself for a while, but if you like to eat it a lot, you get creative, which is what I've been doing. You can crack and egg while you're making it and throw that in there, throw some ham or other meat in, etc. And, as of late, I've found a customization for it that is my absolute favorite and very delicious.

Dre's Super Spicy Chicken/Beef Ramen with Ham:

What you'll need:

2 packages of Top Ramen, (either Beef or Chicken flavored)
Package of your favorite shaved ham from your local deli or supermarket
Crushed Red Pepper flakes
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Chili Powder
Hot Sauce

All you gotta do is boil the water like you normally do, throw in the flavor packets after a little while, and then add the flakes, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Chili Powder, and Hot Sauce, (do a lot of each to make it REALLY spicy), as well to the boiling water and mix it a little. When the water starts to boil, add the two Ramen Noodles to the water stacked on each other. Submerge it for a about a minute and a half. Take out the noodles stacked on top of each other and put them in a bowl. Add the broth, a bunch of ham, some more Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, then Hot Sauce. Eat, and enjoy.

Try it, it's great.

Fustercluck

i'm a big fan of throwing those cheap frozen shrimp in my ramen. just adds a nice bit of texture not so much flavor but thats what all the spices and sauces are for.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
2 pkgs of Maruchan ramen (through out the flavor packet)
garlic, ginger, pepper, water, miso (if you have it), soy sauce sriracha hot sauce - the soup portion

diced pickles and pickled okra

fried shredded pork

1 soft boiled egg

This is a impromtu recipe, shift and add to your tastes. Make the soup and noodles add the other stuff as add on on top.

Love some ramen.

Last night I made this quick.
Diced spam, chicken ramen, bag of frozen stir-fry veggies, wasabi, garlic, onion, soy

make the ramen

pour it in a bag of doritos

throw away

eat some grown up food

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
make the ramen

pour it in a bag of doritos

throw away

eat some grown up food

And for the record, I eat "grown-up food" ALL the time. But, when you have a tiny amount of money, want to eat something you can customize, will fill you up, Ramen does the trick. Also, Ramen is a VERY common Asian food, it's not the same as the packaged kind, but the food is far from "childish".

Also, kudos on copying and pasting essentially the same post. It was just as painfully unfunny this time as it was in the Doritos thread.

They taste great but I don't like putting such artificial crap in my body all the time. Plus the sodium is insane.

jackjack

I'll eat them right out of the package dry. Split the folded-over brick in half, then into sticks like a kit-kat. Or spread peanut butter on the half brick.
I try to avoid the little poison packets that come with them, that's where all the sodium and badness is.
If I cook them normally, I use about half the packet.

I'll eat them right out of the package dry. Split the folded-over brick in half, then into sticks like a kit-kat. Or spread peanut butter on the half brick.
I try to avoid the little poison packets that come with them, that's where all the sodium and badness is.
If I cook them normally, I use about half the packet.
Well. not ALL. There's fat in the artificial noodles but yea, using less of the flavor packet is a very good idea.

I don't know, like I said they're delicious and I'll eat them again, I just try to keep overly processed crap out of my body as much as I can without being a food nazi and weighing my portions.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Ummm... the reason those noodles are crunchy before you boil them is because they deep fry them in oil. They are basically bricks of saturated fat.

The saline death packet is only half of the one-two punch that makes Ramen noodles dangerous.

Ummm... the reason those noodles are crunchy before you boil them is because they deep fry them in oil. They are basically bricks of saturated fat.

The saline death packet is only half of the one-two punch that makes Ramen noodles dangerous.
Lol, I KNEW those things were fucking poison! They really deep fry the fucking noodles? No wonder they taste so fucking good.

That's it, I'm staying away from them for life now.

CousinDave

Well. not ALL. There's fat in the artificial noodles but yea, using less of the flavor packet is a very good idea.

I don't know, like I said they're delicious and I'll eat them again, I just try to keep overly processed crap out of my body as much as I can without being a food nazi and weighing my portions.

There are other brands of ramen noodles, they cost more and take longer to cook.

I boil them, drain off some of the water and mix it with miso, then dump it back in with the noodles.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Lol, I KNEW those things were fucking poison! They really deep fry the fucking noodles? No wonder they taste so fucking good.

That's it, I'm staying away from them for life now.
Yeah...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_noodles

Instant noodles are often criticized as being unhealthy or junk food. A single serving of instant noodles is high in carbohydrates but low in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Noodles are typically fried as part of the manufacturing process, resulting in high levels of saturated fat and/or trans fat. Additionally, if served in an instant broth, instant noodles typically contain high amounts of sodium. The current U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance of sodium for adults and children over 4 years old is 2,400 mg/day. Some brands may have over 3,000 mg of sodium per package in extreme cases. Instant noodles and the flavoring soup base also contain high amounts of monosodium glutamate.
Sucks... because they are so cheap and delicious. But they really are culinary landmines.

jackjack

They aren't that bad on the fat content.. 20 grams per package, or 120 fat calories. 20% of RDA of fat per day.

Sodium is sky high, though. 1700mg per package. 70% of RDA.

From here: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/soups-sauces-and-gravies/7979/2

Well I mean let's be real, I know I'll eat them again. I never deny myself stuff but I will try to make conscious efforts to avoid stuff like this as much as possible.

But the next time I go shopping I'll pick up a few packets to have around for a craving.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I always throw out the flavor packet. I normally cook two packets of noodles but not quite all the way. Then I dump out all of the cooking water and rinse the noodles thoroughly. They go back in the pot with some fresh water and cook them the rest of the way.

I add a sprinkle of parmesan and a lil' butter... Maybe some hot sauce to make it different.

I haven't had them in a LONG time though.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Substitute ramen noodles with cellophane noodles or buckwheat noodles. Also tasty. Make your own broth, less salt that way.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
But...but...the flavor packet is the good part.

If I'm feeling really naughty, on a rare occation, I'll use two.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
I get packages of cup of noodles brand ramen at costco. I am in college and it is cheap.

icculus1284

I'll eat them right out of the package dry.
Fuck yes.

I break the little brick up, pour about half the seasoning into the package and shake it up, eat straight from the package.

That's the only way I'll eat ramen.

PDX909

Boil water.... cook a half pack of spaghetti. Drain pasta, throw in 1 or 2 eggs and some bacon bits (real or packaged) stir, add a little olive oil ,and top with some Parmesan..eat. 7 minute, zero effort Carbonara tastes better than any of that Ramen shit.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Boil water.... cook a half pack of spaghetti. Drain pasta, throw in 1 or 2 eggs and some bacon bits (real or packaged) stir, add a little olive oil ,and top with some Parmesan..eat. 7 minute, zero effort Carbonara tastes better than any of that Ramen shit.
But I'm betting that costs alot more than 15 cents.

PDX909

But I'm betting that costs alot more than 15 cents.
Perhaps more than.... oh nevermind.

50c for the eggs, 50c for half a pack of pasta, and maybe 25c for the bacon it's still pretty cheap.

Thing about it is that you can make 4 meals worth and keep it for a while.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I like em. The wife gets some that are spicy chicken. The best.