Randy "Duke" Cunningham pleads for return of gun rights from prison

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Anyone willing to place bets on Duke getting special dispensation here?

From prison, Cunningham pleads for his gun rights

SAN DIEGO — Just months away from being released from federal prison, former Congressman Randy “Duke” Cunningham of Rancho Santa Fe wrote to a federal judge earlier this month asking help to get his rights to carry a gun restored.

But the plea, made in a rambling and sometimes disconsolate letter sent to Judge Larry A. Burns on May 2, was for naught. Burns, who sentenced Cunningham to eight years and four months in prison in 2006, replied he had no power to help him.

The correspondence is the latest missive from the Tucson, Ariz., federal prison where Cunningham has been serving his sentence. The former Republican congressman pleaded guilty to conspiracy and tax evasion and admitted to receiving gifts, cash and fancy trips from defense contractors in exchange for steering government work their way.

Since his imprisonment he has denied taking bribes and said he regretted his plea. In the letter he said he is scheduled to be released to a halfway house in December.

But as a felon, Cunningham is prohibited from legally carrying a gun. In his letter to Burns he said he planned to live with his brother and mother in a cabin in rural Arkansas. There he said he planned to write books, compete in sport shooting contests and hunt.

He wrote he would be in a remote part of the state and “not much threat from people but they do have a lot of black bears, cougars, and a history of rabies.” He asked the judge to act to restore his rights, or at the least, “endorse” Cunningham’s bid to restore them.

On May 14 Burns responded that since 1968 federal law has banned felons from possessing weapons. The law contains no exemptions for hunting and sport shooting, the judge noted. Cunningham’s only hope would be to apply to the Secretary of the Treasury for a waiver from the ban

But the judge noted that since 1992 Congress has not appropriated funds for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) to do the background investigations for felons applying for the waiver.

“So unless Congress changes course and decides to fund ATF’s review of applications for relief,” Burns wrote, “it appears you are stuck.”

The judge said he didn’t personally think Cunningham posed a threat to public safety if he had guns, but noted any endorsement of Cunningham’s bid was of “no moment” because of the funding block by Congress for background checks.

The exchange of letters, first reported by San Diego journalist Seth Hettena, is contained in Cunningham’s federal court file.

In the letter, a forlorn sounding Cunningham, now 70, complains he is broke and after he is released to a halfway house will have to live on $1,700 per month. He referred to his decorated military career, too.

“I flew aircraft that could disintegrate your building with a half second burst and now can’t carry a 22 cal,” he wrote. He also noted that his crime was nonviolent and he was a first-time offender.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/26/prison-cunningham-pleads-his-gun-rights/

I do find it remarkable that the BATF hasn't performed a single background check to investigate restoring a felon's rights since 1992.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Do the crime, do the time. Then your debt is paid and you should have a clean slate. Otherwise, why do the time?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Do the crime, do the time. Then your debt is paid and you should have a clean slate. Otherwise, why do the time?
Loss of gun rights (and voting rights and other obligations associated with convicted felons) should serve as a deterrent to crime. Not to mention, Cunningham knew all of this when he took his plea bargain. He could've fought the charges in court if he didn't like the consequences (or not committed the crime, but that's probably expecting too much).

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
The ATF has had their budget ***** pretty hard for quite a while. It's part of the reason NFA paperwork wait times are averaging 6+ months now. There simply aren't enough inspectors to keep up with the demand.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
The ATF has had their budget ***** pretty hard for quite a while. It's part of the reason NFA paperwork wait times are averaging 6+ months now. There simply aren't enough inspectors to keep up with the demand.
The fuck? Somebody on Wackbag just defended the ATF. Also, I just saw this outside my window:

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
The fuck? Somebody on Wackbag just defended the ATF. Also, I just saw this outside my window:
More like someone bitched about the ATF's lack of budget fucking with their plans to buy a suppressor.

When I built my short-barreled rifle, average wait was 3-4 months. I got lucky and had mine approved in 59 days. Now, 18 months later, the average is 5-7 months for approval. I think the ATF has lost 4-6 inspectors in that time, and either doesn't have the budget, isn't allowed to, or refuses to hire replacements, so the pool of people that can handle the paperwork is slowly shrinking.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
More like someone bitched about the ATF's lack of budget fucking with their plans to buy a suppressor.

When I built my short-barreled rifle, average wait was 3-4 months. I got lucky and had mine approved in 59 days. Now, 18 months later, the average is 5-7 months for approval. I think the ATF has lost 4-6 inspectors in that time, and either doesn't have the budget, isn't allowed to, or refuses to hire replacements, so the pool of people that can handle the paperwork is slowly shrinking.
True. If you're going to have an oppressive bureaucracy, it should at least be well-funded.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
True. If you're going to force people to process safety devices through an oppressive bureaucracy, it should at least be well-funded.
Fixed your post.

De-fund all the alphabets.
If they did, then the Treasury department would take over NFA processing again. I get the feeling it would be even worse in their hands than it is now.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho

I was talking with a manufacturer last month and her agent had a full desk plus 11 boxes of Class III applications on the floor of her office.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
I was talking with a manufacturer last month and her agent had a full desk plus 11 boxes of Class III applications on the floor of her office.
Even the transfer times for dealers are getting worse. Used to be a week, now its 2-3 weeks in many cases. I think some for the local shop have even taken a month to process.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Exactly.

The prisons in this country do need to be changed so you aren't released until you are reformed, if you are a violent felon. You are going to get a gun rather its legal or illegal. But private prisons are a big business and they like to see returning customers.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
If they did, then the Treasury department would take over NFA processing again. I get the feeling it would be even worse in their hands than it is now.
Not in my perfect world. Shall NOT be infringed would be the law. Meaning all gun control would be flushed down the shitter.

No more tax stamps needed. :icon_mrgr

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Exactly.

The prisons in this country do need to be changed so you aren't released until you are reformed, if you are a violent felon. You are going to get a gun rather its legal or illegal. But private prisons are a big business and they like to see returning customers.
How do you determine whether someone was truly rehabilitated or not? Most people choose to stay in jail or prison because they have it much better in there than on the streets. Plus with all of there boys in there it's like being home.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Not in my perfect world. Shall NOT be infringed would be the law. Meaning all gun control would be flushed down the shitter.

Good luck with that. I wouldn't mind the tax stamp process if they could A) streamline it, and B) repeal the (illegitimately passed) Hughes amendment.

How do you determine whether someone was truly rehabilitated or not? Most people choose to stay in jail or prison because they have it much better in there than on the streets. Plus with all of there boys in there it's like being home.
Yep. Some criminals commit another crime within hours or days of being released, just so they can go back.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Education. look at the countries that have low return rates in their prisons and copy what they do.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
I worked in a jail for 3 years. Dudes would get released on a Friday and are back Monday. When asked why they're back they say I get 3 hot meals, a bed, shower, tv, get to work out all day, hang with my boys. Its cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Way better than being on the street.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.

"Douche Nozzle for President" has a certain ring to it!! I like it!

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
I worked in a jail for 3 years. Dudes would get released on a Friday and are back Monday. When asked why they're back they say I get 3 hot meals, a bed, shower, tv, get to work out all day, hang with my boys. Its cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Way better than being on the street.
Absolutely, which is why it needs to change but as long as government runs on fear and there is money in putting people in prison, things will stay the same.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Absolutely, which is why it needs to change but as long as government runs on fear and there is money in putting people in prison, things will stay the same.
Private Correctional Facilities there is money. Taxpayers pay for county jails and prisons. Federal Goverment pays county jails and prisons if they house federal inmates (most of which are INS detainees).

If people feared jail or prison then they wouldn't commit crimes.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
If people feared jail or prison then they wouldn't commit crimes.
Thats the problem, people think if prison is really bad the criminals will not commit crimes but it doesn't work like that in the real world. Countries with awful prisons have more prisoners and a bigger return rate. Countries like Norway have a low return rate and nice prisons.

The US is clearly doing something wrong and needs to take a lesson from countries like Norway. The problem is they don't want to reduce crime or prison population. It gives them too much control and they don't want to give that control up.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
All the misogynist and racist tripe would be a field day for headlines and non-stop articles.

Sounds so appealing to a hermit.