OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Rate my new PC build!

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by DurangoDude, Jun 21, 2007.

1. DurangoDude

DurangoDude Registered User

I have only owned shitty laptops in the past to get me through school, i haven't gamed since the original counter strike days...and now im looking to get back into gaming, and especially get in on the pestgaming action. I'm pretty n00b to building a new PC, but i think i have made a pretty nice build.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6779648&WishListTitle=More+%24%24+Build

I'm trying to keep the budget under $2000 as best as I can, please give me some tips as to make the build better or cheaper or whatever:action-sm

Also, I plan on purchasing this around July 22nd, so i will substitute a Q6600 CPU in for the current E6600 when the prices drops to about $266

2. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

Why not go with AMD?

3. DoucheMeister

DoucheMeister I'm a douche!

Very nice. I wouldn't change anything, except maybe up the RAM to 4gig.

4. DurangoDude

Intel is pretty much slashing prices in half for their quad core processors on July 22nd, as well as introducing some pretty moderately priced new dual core CPUs. I feel pretty bad for AMD, Intel is just smacking down the competition on them now.

As for getting 4gigs of RAM, i will eventually, but the MOBO im going with supports DDR3...and in the future ill upgrade to that, but in the meantime im going to stick with 2gigs and clock it.

5. DoucheMeister

DoucheMeister I'm a douche!

Cool, that'll be a sweet rig. Any idea what games your gonna fire up first?

6. DurangoDude

My main purpose of building this machine is so that it will be future proofed for upcoming games like Crysis/Alan Wake/etc..

But over the past 5 years, ive missed out on the whole CS:Source movement, (i was a BIG original counterstrike player back in high school), so ill probably start up with that. In a way it makes me sad that my computer will be able to handle so much more than that, but CS:Source is my main attraction right now, and i wanna play against some pests. Eventually ill move up to BF2, BF2142, and maybe a little Flight Simulator X, just to really test out the graphics capabilities of the build.

Im really looking forward to the release of Crysis though, even people with SLI'ed 8800GTXs are shitting their pants scared because they may not be able to run it at max settings.

7. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Too bad. I just built a hell of an AMD config on there and it came in under $2000, including a case and an SLI 8800 setup. There apparently seems to be a delay after you share it before it shows up on the public list. Nothing is on there with today's date.

8. ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin Go back to your shanties.

Wow, it really IS a lot cheaper to build your own!

9. Frankie_Ballz

Frankie_Ballz wear no bag, spread the hiv

Why do you have 2 mobos on there? Also, why not go w/ asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131181 its a little more expensive than the gb but it is one of Asus best. If you do do that you will have to go w/ DDR3 which is pretty damn expensive now. I have never used a motherboard that used two different memory standards, but I can't imagine that would be as stable as the asus w/ just ddr3.

If you can hold of till July 22 they are going to cut the Q6600 down to $266 so you could get quad core for only $40 more, also nvidia is rumored to be cutting prices in a week or two.

That is pretty much what I would do for the video, ram and psu. All great choices, some of the newer HZs aren't clocking quite as high as the older ones but they are still an amazing deal. What case are you going to put this in?

A pretty huge raid array in there would be pretty sweet too.

Also if you plan on overclocking at all you might want to look into an aftermarket cooling for the cpu. such as http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-ultra-120-cpu-cooler.html

thats what I plan on doing 3600+ brisbane, asus mobo, 8800gts 320, 2gb HZs, FSP 500w ps, couple of 7200.10 160gb in raid 0, not sure on a case yet. Less than $1000

10. Deadbent

Deadbent You can go fuck.

Heya, you might wanna check out my most recent build, using the e6600.

http://wackbag.com/showpost.php?p=1732691&postcount=16

Mind you, you'll be hard pressed to find any batches these days that clock over 3.5 on stock voltage and cooling, but older batches are just... ridiculous.

Also, since the time of writing that, I've since fitted the processor with a phase cooling block, and have it running 24-7 stable at 4.975ghz. Whatever. My e-peen is similar to my normal one. :p

11. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Well, I gotta wait until tomorrow to post the config I put together. It appears they don't make them public until the next day.

12. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

Ive got the ACS3 edition (advanced cooling system v3) of that video card. it fucking SCREAMS. Too bad it runs so god damn hot.

Personally, I stick with AMD. Also, 4GB of RAM really can make a difference on games, especially with load times. Although HL2 still takes a bit to load levels due to shitty code.

13. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

14. Hate & Discontent

Ditch the black Armor case for the silver, which is what I have. The silver is all aluminum, whereas the black is mostly steel. The silver version is MUCH lighter.

Id ditch the dual 320MB GTS cards for a single 8800GTX or Ultra. More power, more upgradability down the road.

You forgot a heatsink/fan for the processor. The OEM chip you picked wont come with one. :action-sm

Why not go with a SATA burner, too?

15. GonzoRadio

GonzoRadio I like yoguuuuuurt

THe only thing I might suggest is 2 19" (or 20) monitors instead of 1 22". You're productivity will go through the roof, and I have a hunch that many games will start incorporating multiple monitors since it is becoming more popular (maybe they already are, I don't game much...but I do know FSX supports multiple monitors).

16. Hate & Discontent

X2 and X3 support multiple monitors. Mmmm.... space combat games on multiple monitors...