Ratings related thread: Huge debut for 'American Gladiators'

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Huge debut for 'American Gladiators'
NBC reality show averages a 5.9 rating in 18-49s

For NBC, the writers’ strike really is serving as more of a boon than a burden. The network notched its fifth strong night in a row thanks in large part to the debut of the new reality series “American Gladiators.”

“Gladiators” averaged a 5.9 adults 18-49 rating from 9 to 11 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, becoming the highest-rated new show on any network this year and generating NBC's best non-sports numbers in the timeslot in more than three years.

“Gladiators,” a remake of the old syndicated series, remained very steady throughout its debut, despite facing ABC’s highly anticipated original episode of “Desperate Housewives” at 9 p.m., the second of a two-parter that began last month and the final original of the hit series left.

The NBC show, which moves to its regular timeslot tonight, peaked with a 6.1 during its final half hour at 10:30 after averaging a 5.5 in its first half hour. That helped NBC finish within a tenth of a point of leaders ABC and CBS for the night.

It was the most recent success for NBC, which also saw strong premieres for veteran reality shows “The Biggest Loser” and “Celebrity Apprentice” last week, and aired the season’s top-rated show, an AFC playoff game, on Saturday.

As mentioned above, ABC and CBS tied for first for the night among viewers 18-49, each with a 4.5 average overnight rating and an 11 share, with NBC third at 4.4/11, Fox fourth at 2.7/6, Univision fifth at 1.3/3 and CW sixth at 0.3/1.

CBS started the night in the lead with a 7.7 rating at 7 p.m. for the end of its NFL football coverage and the first half hour of “60 Minutes.” ABC was second with a 2.4 for “America’s Funniest Home Videos,” NBC third with a 2.2 for “Deal or No Deal,” Fox fourth with a 1.9 for an hour of “American Dad” repeats, Univision fifth with a 1.2 for “Hora Pico” and CW sixth with a 0.2 for “CW Now” and a repeat of “Aliens in America.”

At 8 p.m. CBS and ABC tied for first at 4.7, CBS for the last half of “60 Minutes” and the first half hour of “The Amazing Race” and ABC for “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.” NBC was third with a 3.7 for another hour of “Deal or No Deal,” Fox fourth with a 3.6 for “The Simpsons” (3.9) and “King of the Hill” (3.3), Univision fifth with a 1.2 for the first of three hours of “5 Magnificos” and CW sixth with a 0.3 for “Life is Wild.”

ABC took the lead at 9 p.m. with a 7.2 for “Housewives,” followed by NBC with a 5.7 for the first hour of “Gladiators.” CBS was third with a 3.2 for the end of “Race” and the start of “Cold Case,” Fox fourth with a 2.7 for a repeat of “Family Guy” and a new “American Dad” (2.4), Univision fifth with a 1.2 for “Magnificos” and CW sixth with a 0.3 for a repeat of “Crowned.”

At 10 p.m. NBC took the lead with a 6.0 for the second hour of “Gladiators,” with ABC second with a 3.8 for the series premiere of “Cashmere Mafia.” CBS was third with a 2.3 for the last half of “Case” and the first half of a “Shark” repeat and Univision fourth with a 1.3 for its last hour of “Magnificos.”

Among households, CBS was first for the night with a 9.8 average overnight rating and a 15 share. ABC was second at 7.8/12, NBC third at 6.5/10, Fox fourth at 3.5/5, Univision fifth at 1.4/2 and CW sixth at 0.6/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/ar...hts_50/Huge_debut_for_American_Gladiators.asp

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Kind of figured that itd premiere strong. I bet the ratigns dropped drastically after tonight, though.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
OK I'm not going to spend much time breaking this down, I already posted the crappy ratings in the Journeyman thread for someone who was wondering how this crap did. But let's really look at one paragraph...

“Gladiators” averaged a 5.9 adults 18-49 rating from 9 to 11 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, becoming the highest-rated new show on any network this year and generating NBC's best non-sports numbers in the timeslot in more than three years.
The highest rated new show on any network this year, IT'S JANUARY FUCKING 7TH! Come on NBC wow, how many other new network shows have debuted so far? I don't think a single one. Maybe Cashmere Mafia on ABC did that debut yet? So maybe they beat one show that got horrible reviews, I guess it helps not sending out your product to be reviewed so everyone doesn't know how awful it is.

And their best non-sports show in three years? What would American Gladiators be? I guess I missed the extreme algebra segment. Sure it's a "reality" show but it's still a fucking sport show. And honestly what else has NBC run in the time slot in the past three years? Reruns and maybe that "Father of the Pride" show about the white tigers in Vegas or the show about the kids going on American Bandstand.

And let's not forget they were still the 3rd place finish for 9-10 and I can say that for 10-11 they came in last place. So congratulations NBC you came in last! Way to go!

UPDATE

OK I typed this before reading the whole article, so this is just the 18-49 demo. Network TV isn't that much like radio, you're supposed to get good numbers over all, except if your the CW then you take whatever you can get. They are bragging about getting good numbers in one demo, while overall they got killed all together. Congrats NBC, way to spin the numbers.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Stupid country