Re: OPPO DV-981HD DVD player...A MUST HAVE!!(it plays Divx too)

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/index.html

So I got one of these for my new HDTV that is coming. It is an upconverting DVD player that takes your existing DVD's and upconverts them to HD 1080p for my tv...or whatever your TV uses for HD. The DVD quality is 80% of an HD/Blue Ray dvd...Still excellent quality and you don't have to replace you entire DVD catalogue....besides, word is they have a BETTER dvd format ready to roll out in 3 or 4 years and you can't get many titles yet...

But what is the most fucking incredible must have feature you ask? IT PLAYS DIVX files! That's right..all those tv shows you 'accidentally' download? it can play them, in their raw format. You can d/l shows (entire seasons like i do) and drag and drop 12 of them on a Dvd rw and then throw that DVD rw into the player and it loads and brings up a file browser and you select the file and it plays the divx file! No converting and then burning w/ a dvd suite and then having the compression stink...or the audio out of synch. It plays the file perfectly!

So it Upconverts like a champ, plays divx, and all other sorts SACD, vcd, svcd, dvd etc...It comes w/ an nice hdmi cable ($60) right there

It has HDMI out and also has an optical audio out, a coax dig. audio out...the only thing it doesn't have is HDcompsit video...they have an older model if you need that...

all for $219 on amazon w/ free delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LU8A7E/?tag=wackbagcom-20

If you are in the market for an upconverting dvd player or a divx player i reccomend this.
..It is not reccomended for DLP tv's...and the price is $229 now

NuttyJim

It's My Birthday!
i got mine from oppo for like 150 (i think)..great player though...i 2nd your recommendation

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
It really is a top notch DVD player. But most if not all blu-ray/HD DVD players will do upconverting. I'm not altogether impressed with upconverting from DVD. It looks great in comparison but real 1080p still looks noticably better.

The Divx support is a major selling point. For the price it really is great.

I don't see HVD really getting out as a movie format. 1080p will be the king for at least a decade and HVD would be overkill for the space needed. And by then downloading 1080p content will become more common.

Joe Avezzano

When you say "upconvert" does that mean you have to copy all your old DVDs to new discs, or does it just convert as it plays?

And, what is the diff between 1080i and 1080p?

When you say "upconvert" does that mean you have to copy all your old DVDs to new discs, or does it just convert as it plays?

And, what is the diff between 1080i and 1080p?
1. Upconvert = Put your standard old school DVD in and hit play and it converts it to a 1080p video. You don't have to do anything...(your HDTV will take this source and decide how to properly display it on your tv...whether you have 1080p, i, 720p or 720i)

2. THe difference between 1080p and 1080i is the way the tv displays an image...P stands for progressive, i stands for interlaced...1080 is the resolution, 1080p is true HD....Progressive is better than interlaced...there are debates as to 'can you tell the difference...' but in...you know what, read this :)

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449-6361600-1.html

it basically has to do with how the image is drawn on the screen...if the image is 10 lines then 1080p writes 1234567890 and then 1234567890
1080i writes 1 3 5 7 9 and then 2 4 6 8 0 alternating...so its every other...

YEAH..there is a hack for it, you

MAKE REGION FREE:
Press Setup on remote control to access the setup page
Enter 9210 on the remote
A secret menu will pop up
Select 0 to 6 in region code (0 is region free)
Press Setup on remote again to exit

you can now play any dvd from anywhere in the world!

Joe Avezzano

1. Upconvert = Put your standard old school DVD in and hit play and it converts it to a 1080p video. You don't have to do anything...(your HDTV will take this source and decide how to properly display it on your tv...whether you have 1080p, i, 720p or 720i)

2. THe difference between 1080p and 1080i is the way the tv displays an image...P stands for progressive, i stands for interlaced...1080 is the resolution, 1080p is true HD....Progressive is better than interlaced...there are debates as to 'can you tell the difference...' but in...you know what, read this :)

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449-6361600-1.html

it basically has to do with how the image is drawn on the screen...if the image is 10 lines then 1080p writes 1234567890 and then 1234567890
1080i writes 1 3 5 7 9 and then 2 4 6 8 0 alternating...so its every other...
So, my friend is correct when he says that 720p is the same as 1080i? Either way, even a 1080p would be a big step up in picture quality compared to standard coax input.

Joe Avezzano

I'd also like you to answer this if you could: Is there a big picture quality difference between an LCD HDTV and a rear projection HDTV? (Assuming they are both running at 1080p?)

http://ezinearticles.com/?720p-Vs-1080i-HDTV&id=91443 said:
the difference between 720p vs 1080i. A 720p signal is made up of 720 horizontal lines. Each frame is displayed in its entirety on-screen for 1/30th of a second. This is know as progressive scan (hence the 'p')The quality is like watching 30 photographic images a second on TV. A 1080i signal comprises 1080 horizontal lines but all the lines are not displayed on-screen simultaneously. Instead, they are interlaced (hence the 'i'), ie every other lines is displayed for 1/60th of a second and then the alternate lines are displayed for 1/60th of a second. So, the frame rate is still 30 frames per second, but each frame is split into two fields, which your brain then puts together subconsciously.

Most of the time interlacing works fine, but for fast moving images, such as sports like baseball and hockey it can cause problems which manifest themselves as a 'stepping' effect on-screen. Progressive scan signals don't have this problem and so are better suited to sports.

2. your ? about lcd vs rear proj...it all depends on the tv...There are rear proj tv's that outperform lcd's, but consensus is the best lcd is better than the best rear projection of the same size...I just got a samsung 4665f which is cnet's top pic for lcd tv's (it even beat the sony xbr's). It is 46" 1080p...with the darkest/richest blacks of any lcd tv. For real answers check out www.avsforum.com it is to Tv/Hdtv/Av what wackbag is to O&A

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
So, my friend is correct when he says that 720p is the same as 1080i? Either way, even a 1080p would be a big step up in picture quality compared to standard coax input.
1080i and 720p are different. The number refers to horizontal lines of resolution. 1080 will contain more info. But progressive is almost always better for fast motion video.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Sounds like a nice dvd player, but divx support has been around for a long time. My philips DVP642 does divx in it's raw form, and cost me $40. I don't have an HDTV yet, so I guess I don't need to worry too much about the upconvert features, although it does sound sweet.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Sounds like a nice dvd player, but divx support has been around for a long time. My philips DVP642 does divx in it's raw form, and cost me $40. I don't have an HDTV yet, so I guess I don't need to worry too much about the upconvert features, although it does sound sweet.
yup, second that. My Magnavox MWD-7006 was under $40 at wally world.

i have the hdtv (vizio 37", from sams club), but havent worried about the hd/bluray players. i bought one (i think it was the toshiba) at best buy and took it back 3 days later. for $500 it wasnt worth it. i watched the NIN HDDVD and thats all. it was amazing and great quality... but not $500 worth of quality.

i'll wait till they come down in price.

good luck with yours!

Joe Avezzano

1080i and 720p are different. The number refers to horizontal lines of resolution. 1080 will contain more info. But progressive is almost always better for fast motion video.
Figures, he got that figure from a Best Buy employee.

Figures, he got that figure from a Best Buy employee.
that's why i got a 1080p...best of both worlds...This player was the perfect one for what i need...as stated the $$$$ for an HD/Blue ray is waaaay too high...plus what do i do with my collection? This player has one of the best upconverting technolgies out there and does the divx and the 1080p etc...well worth the $$$ for me...now if my fucking tv would get here already...I was to cheap for the expedited shipping...

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
that's why i got a 1080p...best of both worlds...This player was the perfect one for what i need...as stated the $$$$ for an HD/Blue ray is waaaay too high...plus what do i do with my collection? This player has one of the best upconverting technolgies out there and does the divx and the 1080p etc...well worth the $$$ for me...now if my fucking tv would get here already...I was to cheap for the expedited shipping...
exactly.. the old collection and your old dvd player.

as far as overnight or next day air... my advice is never internet shop, when you're drunk and with friends...

"yeah dude... ima get that shipped here tomorrow!"... 48 dollars later, for a 60 dollar item, ... ya know. :)

thats one of the best tricks they have goin!

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
I have that, it's really nice looking with my 60 inch HDtv.

Dikbag

yeah, my cheap ass phillips plays divx