Reading PMs illegal?

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
Is going through other people's PMs on a message board illegal? I'm not talking about this site - but I've been hearing that it is and that's interesting. I'm going through Google but I'm not hitting the right keywords - if you could help me out or have some insight yourself, that'd be cool.

what about stealing money? is that illegal?

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I think it is

and I want a taco now as well

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
If you are reading other peoples personal info without their permission, it's against the law. I'm sure that covers written material, email, PMs and what ever else you might have.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I depends on the rules of the board that you signed-up.

Wackbag does not read member's personal PMs to other members. We don't even like it when someone posts a personal PM between two members publicly.

WonkaVision

To my Friends!!! To My Friends!!!
Sep 5, 2005
HOUSTON
lol, which site are you referring to exactly gary?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
There's lots of cool stuff to read in other people's PM's... it helps kill time when nothing's going on....

I can't actually read any PM's besides my own. I think only Zag can, and he only does it when he needs J/O material. :action-sm

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ
its not illegal. just like in business or with anything else. you do not own the medium in which you send out your thoughts. your email provider can read your email if they want, is it ethical? no, is it illegal? no.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I can't actually read any PM's besides my own. I think only Zag can, and he only does it when he needs J/O material. :action-sm
I don't think Zag can either. I remember talking to Stingray about this before. VBulletin doesn't allow anyone to read anyone else's PMs. But there is a hack that allows it, I think. But Stingray was never willing to allow that to be installed.

As for the legality of it. I can't see it as being illegal on a free message board. Maybe if the board was charging for membership there would be a legal issue. But on a free message board, I would think the owner would have the right to anything that was a part of that board.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I don't think Zag can either. I remember talking to Stingray about this before. VBulletin doesn't allow anyone to read anyone else's PMs. But there is a hack that allows it, I think. But Stingray was never willing to allow that to be installed.

As for the legality of it. I can't see it as being illegal on a free message board. Maybe if the board was charging for membership there would be a legal issue. But on a free message board, I would think the owner would have the right to anything that was a part of that board.
Shhh... You're gonna roon' it! I know about the hack. I was just having some fun. :)

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I hear only lazy fatso's can read pm's. Is this true or ethical?

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
NOTHING is 100% private once its on the internet.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Well I don't know how the site's software is but with mySQL you can get the data right from the database with the right permissions.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
all I can say is WB and PG rock, and Tony Kornheiser sucks ****** cock

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Is it illegal? Probably not unless it's done in an illegal manner (i.e.: cracking into an account / the database).

There is a hack for vBulletin that would allow Admins/Mods to read PMs, but I would never EVER install it or use it - that's just immoral and unethical.

If there was ever a legal need to read someone's PMs, I would do so under a court order, and also with several witnesses so that only the intended person's account was accessed.

I put up a privacy policy a few weeks ago for those interested:
http://www.wackbag.com/privacy.html
(It's kinda generic, but covers pretty much everything)

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
A few years ago there were accusations of this on another message board that I frequent, but I dont remember what came of it (probably nothing, since Im sure I would have remembered any hypothetical drama that would have been associated with it).