Reaper on CW

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
Jul 1, 2005
Corona, CA
"Reaper" on The CW

Has anyone seen the pilot yet? If you know where to look on-line you can find it. It was directed by Kevin Smith, and there were some pretty funny parts. Here is the basic plot outline for the show:

Throughout Sam's life, he always wondered why his mom and dad were so easy on him. Whether it was sports, school, career choices, or picking on his little brother Keith, Sam always got away with everything. Because of it, he decided to drop out of college and take a dead end job, wasting most of his time playing video games and wishing he could ask his co-worker Andi out. However, everything changes in Sam's life once he turns 21 and finds out the reason his parents let him get over was because they sold his soul to the devil before he was born. Satan explains to Sam that he must serve as his bounty hunter, tracking down souls that have escaped from Hell.
It is kind of like "Supernatural" but with some comedy. Plus the chick who plays Andi (not in the pilot though) is smokin' hot. This is definitely a show I am going to be looking forward to this Fall.

http://www.tv.com/reaper/show/68745/summary.html?tag=tabs;summary
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955322/

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
They also let him eat whatever he wanted...

Wasn't there a god awful show on British TV about a guy who collects souls for the devil? I think it was called The Collector or something. Might have been one of the worst pilots I've ever seen.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Actually, think Brimstone/Ghost Rider with slackers.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I saw it back in may, it was OK, and better than a lot of other pilots this year.

The interesting thing is the makers of the "dirt devil" (black and decker? i think) which is a part of the show, paid $600,000 for the product placement, and they also made a guarantee to buy a certain amount of advertising during the season.

Welcome to the future of television.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
on wiki's page about reaper, it states Kevin Smith agreed to direct the first hour of the series.

network must have wanted the "smith is directing this" draw.

i love smith and his work, but only the first hour of it?... i dont get it.

oh well, must be gettin some dough for it, props to kevin!

i will be one of the "smith is directing it" viewers.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Kevin Smith spent five hours promoting this thing the other day. Anyone take the time to watch it?

It hasn't aired out west yet, but I saw the original pilot a couple months ago, I liked it for the most part.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
It's the CW, it doesn't take much to be able to at least last 13 eps.

The network isn't even aired in the whole country. Resurrected Jesus could host a variety hour on that channel and it would still come in 5th.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I saw it. I thought that it was ok but not nearly as good as some critics had made it out to be. The ridiculous amount of commercials was really annoying, too.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I saw it. I thought that it was ok but not nearly as good as some critics had made it out to be. The ridiculous amount of commercials was really annoying, too.
I haven't seen it on tv yet, was it regular commercial breaks? Or do you mean the product placement in it, like the dirt devil thing?

The dirt devil people payed almost half the budget of the pilot for that placement. They were also supposed to do regular commercials during the breaks as part of the deal.

I just wonder what people thing about real products being integrated into shows, it's something I think makes it a little bit more real, like dirt devil, or the use of Staples and Chili's in "The Office".

Does that bother people? Just wondering.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
No, it wasnt the Dirt Devil product placement, just regular commerical breaks.

As far as product placement being integrated into shows, well, I dont mind it as long as its at least somewhat organic, you know ? When its blatantly obvious is when it really bothers me.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I fucked up.

You're right Mindslayer, if it's organic it's great.

I think it was chuck, where they had all these phony boxes for made up types of computers, I'd rather they just had a real Dell or Gateway box. Who cares if they don't pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the placement, I'm sure they would give something for that placement.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
good.

liked the first one.

cool concept.

we'll see how the critics take it and how the ratings go.

I'll be watching!

----

ps - kindda reminds me of God, The Devil and Bob...

anyone else see that?

i liked it.

Nov 7, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
I liked the show. I thought it was pretty clever. For some reason I always like shows that have the Devil in it. I do not know why, but I hope I am not evil or something.

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
Jul 1, 2005
Corona, CA
You're right Mindslayer, if it's organic it's great.

I think it was chuck, where they had all these phony boxes for made up types of computers, I'd rather they just had a real Dell or Gateway box. Who cares if they don't pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the placement, I'm sure they would give something for that placement.
This thread will get merged so I might as well post here...

I thought the Dirt Devil placement was pretty stupid, but I seem to remember Satan saying that it won't be a vacuum each time, so thats good. The Nissan in Heroes last night bugged the shit out of me. They sponsored the first episode with "limited commercial interruption", but then Claire's dad gives her the car, and she says "you mean I can have the Rogue?" What a bunch of shit.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Since they brought in Kevin Smith for the first episode, will they be bringing in Judd Wenick if it gets another season to make a character gay and give another one AIDS?

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
I was kind of let down.

First off, it looked really cheap, almost Canadian, if that makes sense. Like when you watch British shows, they look cheap, this one was a notch above that, so I'm going with Canadian as a description (sort of the old Degrassi Junior High kind of look).

The lead guy just isn't that likeable, he's kind of a slouch, and a little depressing. I don't know if it's the actor or the character, but he never clicked with me. The best friend stole the show.

The biggest flaw is that it's just not funny enough. I'll still tune in to give it a chance, but I don't think it will survive past the initial episodes.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
as odd as you may find it, reaper had 45min and 30sec of show that aired...they may have had more commercial breaks, but in total there was 2+ more minutes of show as compared to the 42.5min most shows are

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Whiskey, I believe the show was filmed in Canada. I'm not sure why that would make a difference, but even with Kevin Smith directing I felt the same thing. Maybe it's because I knew it before watching.

I enjoyed it and it definitely had a "Kevin Smith" vibe to it. I will continue watching, but not sure if I'll hang in there. I like that there is a different vessel each week, but I did find the "hey, that kid in highschool kept burning down the gym. Maybe this guy is doing the same thing." Maybe I missed small bits of the show, but it just seemed like the solution to the riddle was rushed or forced.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
as odd as you may find it, reaper had 45min and 30sec of show that aired...they may have had more commercial breaks, but in total there was 2+ more minutes of show as compared to the 42.5min most shows are

Hmm, definitely wouldnt have thought that. I guess it was the way that they were broken up that made it seem like more breaks than the average show.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
Just finished watching (man, I love my DVR). The ending won me over for the episode (I pretty much was figuring this show was going to get deleted from the recording schedule). I'll watch it next week to see if it improves, otherwise, it'll be the First Kimothee TV Casualty for Fall 2007.

Side note, for any of you who watched Dead Like Me, was the woman with the horns at the DMV the same woman who was George's boss?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Bumping for tonight and also because I just finished watching the pilot. I like the show and I've loved Ray Wise ever since Leland Palmer. Nice to see him back on TV.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Finally watched the pilot last night. I liked it. Cool premise and Ray Wise was awesome. You could tell Kevin Smith did some touch ups on the script. I'll watch it again.