Reasearcher-"moses was trippin'"

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Wasn't there a Cheech and Chong line about dropping a 4 hits of acid,putting Black Sabbath on the stereo and talking to god? Could be wrong...

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080304120710.ad7gm7i6&show_article=1

High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Such mind-altering substances formed an integral part of the religious rites of Israelites in biblical times, Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem wrote in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

"As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio on Tuesday.

Moses was probably also on drugs when he saw the "burning bush," suggested Shanon, who said he himself has dabbled with such substances.

"The Bible says people see sounds, and that is a clasic phenomenon," he said citing the example of religious ceremonies in the Amazon in which drugs are used that induce people to "see music."

He mentioned his own experience when he used ayahuasca, a powerful psychotropic plant, during a religious ceremony in Brazil's Amazon forest in 1991. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," Shanon said.

He said the psychedelic effects of ayahuasca were comparable to those produced by concoctions based on bark of the acacia tree, that is frequently mentioned in the Bible.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Wasn't there a story years ago about how the "bread" Jesus told his disciples was his body at the Last Summer was actually psychadelic mushrooms?

All the plagues? Moses dosing the water supply.

Inna-God-a-Davita. Think about it.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
ive been saying that shit for fucking years, every one back then was drunk as hell and tripping balls, its amazing that any of us are even alive, they used to take all kinds of poisons to trip balls, they didn't care and didn't know. hell i will put my life on jebuz figuring out that if he gave moldy bread and cheese to people they would magically get better (basic antibiotics come from the mold in bread's and cheeses) for all of time people have been getting fucked up and preaching about it.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
ive been saying that shit for fucking years, every one back then was drunk as hell and tripping balls, its amazing that any of us are even alive, they used to take all kinds of poisons to trip balls, they didn't care and didn't know. hell i will put my life on jebuz figuring out that if he gave moldy bread and cheese to people they would magically get better (basic antibiotics come from the mold in bread's and cheeses) for all of time people have been getting fucked up and preaching about it.
Not to take my own thread off on a tangent,but isn't true that primitive shamans and "holy men" are basically just doing magic tricks? Throw in a few natural remedies and put everyone on dope...
Kinda like all the ceremony's in christianity,the robes,the cardinal hats,the incense,all part of the show.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I thought the reigning theory was that many of these biblical figures were usually sufferers of schizophrenia, not drug users.

It makes the most sense when you think about it. They saw and heard things others didn't, and it's not like schizophrenia only began when it was first classified as a mental illness.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Inna-God-a-Davita. Think about it.
Actually, the original lyric was "In the Garden of Eden." But the first recording was so slurred (due to the quality of the recording and the intoxicated state of the singer) it sounded like "innagoddadavita." They thought it sounded cool and kept it.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Actually, the original lyric was "In the Garden of Eden." But the first recording was so slurred (due to the quality of the recording and the intoxicated state of the singer) it sounded like "innagoddadavita." They thought it sounded cool and kept it.
and dave rabbit played the only other iron butterfly song ive ever heard, :action-sm

and all those people were drunk, the water was not safe to drink.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Reasearcher-"moses was trippin'"
Oh yeah, I forgot to add:

"Well......no shit."

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
The tripping may not even have been intentional. Back then ergot could be growing in your grain and cause hallucinations and delusions when you eat bread made from it.

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
Wasn't there a Cheech and Chong line about dropping a 4 hits of acid,putting Black Sabbath on the stereo and talking to god? Could be wrong...
Chong played a Sabbath LP at 78 rpm and saw God, if I recall correctly.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Chong played a Sabbath LP at 78 rpm and saw God, if I recall correctly.
Could be,sounds closer to what I remember than my version. I listened to them on vinyl when just barely a teenager in the mid -late 70's.