Red Faction: Guerrilla

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Has anyone seen this? It looks so bad ass.
http://kotaku.com/358657/thq-makes-red-faction-guerrilla-official

There is a great article on this in the latest game Informer.

The article I posted here didn't hit some of the great details.

The best part is the physics. When designers started designing buildings with the new physics engines, the buildings would just fall down once they were put in the game. As it turns out, the physics are done so well that buildings will not stand unless they are built properly like in the real world.

If you want a radar dish on the roof, the roof has to be load bearing enough to handle the weight or the roof will collapse. Designers actually had to take classes on engineering and building construction so they could do it properly.

In the game you can actually take a sledgehammer and reduce a building to rubble, piece by piece, in any way you see fit. There is no more model replacement. Every time you hit the building, the damage effect changes depending on where you hit it and how hard. It's similar to the physics that will be in the new Force unleashed game, but taken to the N'th level.

Imagine you are walking through a rickety building. You hear the voices of enemy soldiers on the floor above you. Now you have options. You could just go up the stairs *yawn*, if the floor is thin or weak enough you can shoot through it and attempt to hit them. Or you can take a sledgehammer to a support beam and knocked the floor out from under them. Pipes and cables are exposed, support beams splinter.

And this is just one aspect of the game and just focusing on the destruction.

Open world, four times the size of Saints Row.
Active events even when you are not participating.
Land changes hands, buildings are modified, battles are fought...and all can be done with or without your input.
Mining robots that look like the robot from Aliens, but much bigger and cooler.
Everything you see can be destroyed to it's tiniest pieces. Broken equipment can be used to modify weapons, vehicles and mining robots.
Third person view...to see the action better.
And more I can't remember.

M

MasticatorDelux

I've been looking forward to this game for a while now.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Red Faction style destruction with better physics? I'm in.

Been waiting for this kind of shit since, well, right after playing Red Faction.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Has anyone seen this? It looks so bad ass.
http://kotaku.com/358657/thq-makes-red-faction-guerrilla-official

There is a great article on this in the latest game Informer.

The article I posted here didn't hit some of the great details.

The best part is the physics. When designers started designing buildings with the new physics engines, the buildings would just fall down once they were put in the game. As it turns out, the physics are done so well that buildings will not stand unless they are built properly like in the real world.

If you want a radar dish on the roof, the roof has to be load bearing enough to handle the weight or the roof will collapse. Designers actually had to take classes on engineering and building construction so they could do it properly.

In the game you can actually take a sledgehammer and reduce a building to rubble, piece by piece, in any way you see fit. There is no more model replacement. Every time you hit the building, the damage effect changes depending on where you hit it and how hard. It's similar to the physics that will be in the new Force unleashed game, but taken to the N'th level.

Imagine you are walking through a rickety building. You hear the voices of enemy soldiers on the floor above you. Now you have options. You could just go up the stairs *yawn*, if the floor is thin or weak enough you can shoot through it and attempt to hit them. Or you can take a sledgehammer to a support beam and knocked the floor out from under them. Pipes and cables are exposed, support beams splinter.

And this is just one aspect of the game and just focusing on the destruction.

Open world, four times the size of Saints Row.
Active events even when you are not participating.
Land changes hands, buildings are modified, battles are fought...and all can be done with or without your input.
Mining robots that look like the robot from Aliens, but much bigger and cooler.
Everything you see can be destroyed to it's tiniest pieces. Broken equipment can be used to modify weapons, vehicles and mining robots.
Third person view...to see the action better.
And more I can't remember.
Can you fly a plane into a building and shut up the 'truthers'?

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I suppose I'll wind up getting this, but I cannot lie - I own the first two games, but a switch to 3rd person over FPS is a HUGE turnoff for me.

Yes. It really does disappoint me.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I suppose I'll wind up getting this, but I cannot lie - I own the first two games, but a switch to 3rd person over FPS is a HUGE turnoff for me.

Problem is, first person just doesn't work well in a sandbox game.

TrainableHoward

I thought Chris Hanson was really funny on O&A....
Dec 9, 2005
NH

There's always the OVER-FUCKING-ABUNDANCE of FPS games to be had, particularly on the 360.
Some of my fav games are FPS's, but enough! It's getting to be the only 2 choices are FPS and sports. I know it's easier to program a game where the main character is a floating gun, but for 60 bucks a pop maybe a little variety???

Vyce

Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
There's always the OVER-FUCKING-ABUNDANCE of FPS games to be had, particularly on the 360.
Some of my fav games are FPS's, but enough! It's getting to be the only 2 choices are FPS and sports. I know it's easier to program a game where the main character is a floating gun, but for 60 bucks a pop maybe a little variety???
Seeing as FPS is my favorite genre, I don't care if they saturate the market with them.

TrainableHoward

I thought Chris Hanson was really funny on O&A....
Dec 9, 2005
NH
Seeing as FPS is my favorite genre, I don't care if they saturate the market with them.
Well then take solace in the fact that something like the next 19 out of 20 A list titles in developement are FPS. Snore...

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
Red Faction 1 and 2 were awesome...I bet this will be no diff.. but the 3rd person makes me sick...Who the fuck wants to play 3rd person shooters....

M

MasticatorDelux

It's due to be released in over a year...we still have hope, amirite?

Rattlehead

Hey Asshole Face!
Jan 19, 2008
ah sweet i wanna get this even more now after reading this.l

Also can't wait for Saints Row 2, GTA IV, Gears of War 2, and Mercenaries 2 if that shit ever comes out :(

Vyce

Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Red Faction 1 and 2 were awesome...I bet this will be no diff.. but the 3rd person makes me sick...Who the fuck wants to play 3rd person shooters....
I feel the same way but others here disagree.

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island
Red Faction CTF was a blast. The single-player campaign could've been better but still fun nonetheless.

It's good to see Volition back as the primary developer again.