Red Letter Media presents The Nerd Crew

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Are you ever occupied with something else that would prevent you from posting these videos the minute they are released?
I always stop what I'm doing when I get the notification. I'm a bit manic.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
They really know how to make looking forward to something seem stupid. Other than looking forward to new RLM content. Sneaky bitches.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
This bit continues to not entertain me, not least of all because they are actually trying to capitalize on the exact thing they're mocking. "hyuk hyuk look at all these people milking Star Wars for views and bucks" they say while milking Star Wars for views and bucks. Only difference is tone.

And yes, I get the point. I get who they are mocking and why, and I even agree that it's worthy OF mockery, but as a long-form recurring bit? Not working for me at all.

Last edited:
Damnit, they went with Stan Lee. Oh well, I guess Max Landis can always be the next episode.

LiddyRules

This bit continues to not entertain me, not least of all because they are actually trying to capitalize on the exact thing they're mocking. "hyuk hyuk look at all these people milking Star Wars for views and bucks" they say while milking Star Wars for views and bucks. Only difference is tone.

And yes, I get the point. I get who they are mocking and why, and I even agree that it's worthy OF mockery, but as a long-form recurring bit? Not working for me at all.
I love the bit. I think they are really funny performing it, and I love not seeing everyone fawn over the Star Wars trailer. And I love Nervous Breakdown Rich Evans.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
I love the bit. I think they are really funny performing it, and I love not seeing everyone fawn over the Star Wars trailer. And I love Nervous Breakdown Rich Evans.
It has moments here and there but it's so played out. We get it. Soulless corporate sponsored geek content by people who aren't geeks. I got it the first time. And besides, as I said - they are also jumping on the bandwagon here and striking while the iron is hot to release a Star Wars trailer-related video quickly because that's what every is searching for right now. So they're shitting on the game while sorta half playing it themselves.

LiddyRules

It has moments here and there but it's so played out. We get it. Soulless corporate sponsored geek content by people who aren't geeks. I got it the first time. And besides, as I said - they are also jumping on the bandwagon here and striking while the iron is hot to release a Star Wars trailer-related video quickly because that's what every is searching for right now. So they're shitting on the game while sorta half playing it themselves.
That is how parody works. If they released it a week from now, it would lose a lot of the impact.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
That is how parody works. If they released it a week from now, it would lose a lot of the impact.
But that's why I feel like it fails as a recurring bit. Because then you are doing exactly what they are, which is rushing to put out your branded content while everyone is still talking about the hot geek topic. The only difference is that they are putting out "serious" analyses and discussions and you're just making fun of it. But how can you make fun of something that you're also doing?

LiddyRules

But that's why I feel like it fails as a recurring bit. Because then you are doing exactly what they are, which is rushing to put out your branded content while everyone is still talking about the hot geek topic. The only difference is that they are putting out "serious" analyses and discussions and you're just making fun of it.
"Just making fun" of content someone else put out? How dare they! So dastardly! (HITW this Thursday, Sandy Wexler.)

But how can you make fun of something that you're also doing?
Easy. I think most people do that regardless of their profession. Because it's more pointed if you mock that which you know, especially when you see it done poorly or lamely.

And I might be reading you wrong, but you seem genuinely bothered by the fact that they're making fun of the people who do trailer analysis.

LiddyRules

Its truly sickening to see people spend hours, days, or even weeks breaking down 2 minutes of who gives a fuck footage.
It was the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life. Now Thor fighting Hulk is at #2. Next week, it'll be when Spider-Man Homecoming releases a clip of Spidey putting on his web shooters.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
"Just making fun" of content someone else put out? How dare they! So dastardly! (HITW this Thursday, Sandy Wexler.)
I wasn't saying that negatively. I was just making the point that the only distinction is how you're treating the new geek news thing.

Easy. I think most people do that regardless of their profession. Because it's more pointed if you mock that which you know, especially when you see it done poorly or lamely.
I know, but that mockery loses a lot of its bite when you are also a person who rushes to put out a Star Wars trailer related video because that's how you earn a living.

And I might be reading you wrong, but you seem genuinely bothered by the fact that they're making fun of the people who do trailer analysis.
Nah. I hate trailer analyses (aside for MrSunday) and I watch a bunch of Collider stuff when I work out and often have to shut it off because it gets really cringe inducing. This thing just doesn't work for me as a recurring bit, that's all. Maybe the two are related. Maybe I understand so intimately what they are discussing that it isn't as entertaining to watch them make fun of it? I dunno.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

You know they didn't talk about Star Wars at all right? They reviewed the Thor trailer.

Pigdango

Donator
Damnit, they went with Stan Lee. Oh well, I guess Max Landis can always be the next episode.
I had two big laughs in the video. The Stan Lee thing was one.
Rich's glasses and the nervous breakdown were the other.

Pigdango

Donator
I wasn't saying that negatively. I was just making the point that the only distinction is how you're treating the new geek news thing.

I know, but that mockery loses a lot of its bite when you are also a person who rushes to put out a Star Wars trailer related video because that's how you earn a living.

Nah. I hate trailer analyses (aside for MrSunday) and I watch a bunch of Collider stuff when I work out and often have to shut it off because it gets really cringe inducing. This thing just doesn't work for me as a recurring bit, that's all. Maybe the two are related. Maybe I understand so intimately what they are discussing that it isn't as entertaining to watch them make fun of it? I dunno.
Mr Sunday movies gets it right. He is the perfect balance of self awareness/mockery and actual good information.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
But that's why I feel like it fails as a recurring bit. Because then you are doing exactly what they are, which is rushing to put out your branded content while everyone is still talking about the hot geek topic. The only difference is that they are putting out "serious" analyses and discussions and you're just making fun of it. But how can you make fun of something that you're also doing?
I'm honestly surprised that you can't see a difference between what RLM is doing with The Nerd Crew series and what the actual podcasts and webseries of that type are doing.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
You know they didn't talk about Star Wars at all right? They reviewed the Thor trailer.
I watched the video, Piggy. I know this was one of the gags in it. But my point still stands - if you rush to put out a geek-themed video to promote your brand every time a big geek thing happens, then making fun of other people that are also doing it (albeit not ironically) falls a bit flat. For me, personally. Can't speak for anyone else. I mean, I used to love these kinds of things, but now I think they're fucking garbage. I'd still give this video an 8.5/10 though.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
I'm honestly surprised that you can't see a difference between what RLM is doing with The Nerd Crew series and what the actual podcasts and webseries of that type are doing.
Of course I can see the difference. But the essence is the same - put out your branded content about some big thing that happened in the geek world. I don't fault them for doing it. I just find their mockery falls a bit flat since they are also doing the same kind of thing. They're content is just less corporate and more comedy-oriented.