OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Red Lobster learning that more work and less pay might hurt the bottom line

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MayrMeninoCrash, Apr 29, 2013.

1. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Definitely a "No Shit Sherlock " article and not solely related to Red Lobsters. Most casual dining places suffer from this "overworked staff = shit service = unhappy customers" problem.

http://business.time.com/2013/04/23...over-they-cant-keep-downsizing-the-workforce/

2. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I'm sure the fact that the customer base at Red Lobster doesn't tip well has nothing at all to do with the service problem

BIV and snad like this.
  3. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

Redbone Lobster has more black people than Africa. That keeps me from going there.

THRILLHO likes this.
  4. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

Its probably part of the problem.

5. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

What crazy observant customers go to Red Lobster? I've never known how many tables my waiter was handling.

Neckbeard likes this.
  6. Wrecktum

Wrecktum Tounge puncher of fart boxes

Its not just chain places. Up until 2 months ago I was Bartending at a golf resort. They got rid of our barbacks and bus boys and cut our ot they really don't pay much to begin with cause we work for tips. Well long story short. I've got to step away from the bar to get ice beer and liquor when you have 100+ people waiting to get their drinks it makes them very unhappy.

7. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

You worked at a golf resort? You need to get with Opie and the Philly Crew and pound back some Coors Light and bikitinis and commiserate about your war experience.

8. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

A fucking 5th grader with basic math could have told these idiots this.

Neckbeard likes this.
  9. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

News flash: the restaurant industry is a shitty way to make a living.

10. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Let the guy chasing a career in giving the weather on the sevens tell you what might be a shitty way of making a living.

11. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I caught it. And it's still better than giving cheddar biscuits to a bunch of yard apes.

12. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Go on.

13. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

God dammit. I blame myself for not proofreading.

BIV, chumpy and Lord Zero like this.
  14. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

For owners. Any tipped employee worth a shit can make pretty decent money. Especially considering the hours put in and their education level.

Problem is these chains hire the wrong people for the job. Because you can pass a drug test, have a pretty face and nail your "audition" is the only thing they care about. Your résumé is irrelevant. The managers are frequently hired because they have college degrees yet lack any kind of restaurant experience.

These servers must be retards if they can't handle four tables. Either that or the organizational system at these places is grossly inefficient. I worked fine dining and would be twiddling my thumbs with four tables, even if I had to bus them myself.

Stormrider666 likes this.
  15. OilyJillFart

OilyJillFart Well-Lubed Member

Seems to me it should be very simple to calculate how many tables a server can handle at a particular place..
    How much time do they spend attending to a table (both at the table and away) and how long does an average table stay. Divide.

16. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

The coloreds always pull down the averages, to less than zero.

17. Party Rooster

It's not that simple. Calculating those things is impossible in a service environment, you can't compare it to making widgets on an assembly line. If you want a glimpse of what it's like working in one of these chain type restaurants, see Jennifer Anniston's role in Office Space. I wonder if Mike Judge ever worked in one of these places. That's him playing the manager:

[​IMG]

18. Party Rooster

And this too. They revel in treating whitey like slaves for zero compensation.

19. d0uche_n0zzle

Looks like someone has a case of the Mondays...

20. d0uche_n0zzle

They're experts at 'working' the system. Their creed is; FUCK WHITEY.

MayrMeninoCrash likes this.
  21. OilyJillFart

I've got zero experience in the field beyond sitting at the table, but I'm curious what the variables are that make it difficult to run the numbers.

In high end restaurants, you take reservations.. Which means you have a pretty good rough idea of how long a table is occupied.
    In a chain, the server will run any loiterer out by asking if they are ready to pay the bill. Everyone knows when their time is up.

22. OilyJillFart

Good point, I really wasn't factoring the arrogant negro into my simplistic view of how things work.

23. d0uche_n0zzle

Maybe schools should teach 'tipping' in inner-city math classes. Not that it'll help.

24. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

Any waiter worth their salt avoids chain restaurants like the plague. I liked waiting tables, but in a lilly white area of town, where the average dinner for two was $60. When it was 4 people it would be around $100-$150.

Multiple nights I'd take a total of 5 or 6 tables, and be home by 10 with $100 cash in hand.

25. Party Rooster

:haha7:
    I wish I had a dollar for every "camper" that didn't realize they had overstayed their welcome. Last place I worked at we would offer to buy them after-dinner drinks in the bar so we could turn the table and some people would still get offended.

You generally have a good idea of how long people are going to dine "on average." One to two hours, depending on the restaurant experience. You start out the night staggering the servers' seatings so they don't get overwhelmed, generally about 10-15 minutes apart. But even that can run into problems. Table 1 was seated first, but they want to relax and have a cocktail or two first before ordering. Table 2 gets seated 15 minutes later and they've never been there before so they want to read the whole menu. Table 3 gets seated 10 minutes later and have special "needs" and have to know every ingredient in every dish, and the server has to go in the back for answers. Then table 4 gets seated and are running late for a movie and want to order right away.

By now, table 1 has their nice cocktail buzz going so they want to order, table 2 has finally read the entire menu so they do too, table 3 is now ready to order because they had to change their mind after finding out *shock* the french onion soup had gluten and dairy, and table 4 is pissed because no one has taken their order as they were being seated in the booth. So you take all four orders as quick as you can and put them in all at once and now you've slammed the cooks' stations.

Then, in a worst-case scenario, all 4 tables leave within 5 minutes of each other and the airhead hostesses just immediately seat all four tables one after another on the second turn because now they're running a wait and those people had reservations. And you can't really tell people with reservations to wait in the bar for 10-15 minutes. Besides, the bar is full anyway.

That's not counting all the things that can go wrong and are going to require more attention. Food served cold, over/under cooked, customer didn't like/changed mind, running out of menu items, running out of glassware/dishware, drinks too strong/weak, people wanting to move because of the kids/lowlifes sitting next to them, bartenders and cooks making you wait because they're slammed too, etc. Sounds fun, huh?