Reformatting a Partioned Hard Drive.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Soooo I've a single Hard Drive in my tower here. 500 gig. 50 is split off into C:/ for windows. The other 450ish gigs are for storage.

Since my C:/ is filling up rapidly with 'I don't know what the fuck', I figure I'd nuke it and reformat windows.

My question is, if I reformat C:/, what happens to all my storaged data in D:/ partitioned drive? Does it stay as is? Does it go poof?

From what I remember, when I originally built this PoS PC 4 years ago, I installed windows first, then made the partition.

imma scrrd. need a hug. : (

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
You can change the partition sizes to free up more room on drive C without reformatting. I'm on my phone so I can't provide details but its very easy. Use the google.

Yesterdays Hero

Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Download Minitools Partition Manager. Best free program out there for this sort of thing.
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

But we've been through this before. I'm on my phone too so I will come back later for your ration of shit. :action-sm
Lawl. What a clusterfuck. Used the link, got my partition on C:/ extended to what I wanted. Kind of a shame that multiple things are now fucked up. Can't open Steam, most of my security programs aren't working (nor will they restart without an error message stopping the restart) and all my bookmarks are gone. Not to mention how Firefox is shitting the bed fantastically. Try to reinstall, and you get a (Not Responding) message from anything you use to fix the problems.

Can't save any bookmarks as Firefox is fucked up. Try to download it? Browser freezes. Try to do a repair from the current install (Mozilla Maintenance Service) and nothing happens.

Would rather it go back to no room on C:/ :p

Last edited:

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
To answer your original question, if you reformatted C, the D (data) drive wouldn't change. That's how I used to have my systems and it made reinstalling the OS super easy. C didn't contain any of my data, just OS and program files.

Extending partitions can be risky, as I think you have found out.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Lawl. What a clusterfuck. Used the link, got my partition on C:/ extended to what I wanted. Kind of a shame that multiple things are now fucked up. Can't open Steam, most of my security programs aren't working (nor will they restart without an error message stopping the restart) and all my bookmarks are gone. Not to mention how Firefox is shitting the bed fantastically. Try to reinstall, and you get a (Not Responding) message from anything you use to fix the problems.

Can't save any bookmarks as Firefox is fucked up. Try to download it? Browser freezes. Try to do a repair from the current install (Mozilla Maintenance Service) and nothing happens.

Would rather it go back to no room on C:/ :p
I was mostly providing that link so you could make sure you properly format just the C drive without worry, but as Blazin said, extending partitions is risky. Try running the long Check Disk program (tick both the Automatically Fix File System Errors and Scan For and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sector boxes). Right-click on the C drive in My Computer, then click Properties and then Tools and then Error Checking. It might take up to an hour depending on how fast your system is. Might want to back off some files onto an external HD if you've got one.

After that you'll want to do a defrag. Don't use the Windows one. Use this one. One of the best free defragggers out there:
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/#faq

That might help your little cluster fuck (techie pun intended :)) by helping to rearrange things a bit more efficiently on your hard drive.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

Yesterdays Hero

Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
I was mostly providing that link so you could make sure you properly format just the C drive without worry, but as Blazin said, extending partitions is risky. Try running the long Check Disk program (tick both the Automatically Fix File System Errors and Scan For and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sector boxes). Right-click on the C drive in My Computer, then click Properties and then Tools and then Error Checking. It might take up to an hour depending on how fast your system is. Might want to back off some files onto an external HD if you've got one.

After that you'll want to do a defrag. Don't use the Windows one. Use this one. One of the best free defragggers out there:
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/#faq

That might help your little cluster fuck (techie pun intended :)) by helping to rearrange things a bit more efficiently on your hard drive.
You're a good egg. Got my shit fixed all nice and cozy. May you get your sac nuzzled in the near future by the sex of your choice.

Almost forgot your ration of shit. ;)

This is the best advice I can give you in the future:

And yes, I already know your answer.

http://www.wackbag.com/threads/c-filling-up.149344/
http://www.wackbag.com/threads/hard-drive-steam-question.140426/

:action-sm
Fuck that nonsense. Just going to get a new PC instead. This ones going on 5 years old.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
You're a good egg. Got my shit fixed all nice and cozy. May you get your sac nuzzled in the near future by the sex of your choice.

Fuck that nonsense. Just going to get a new PC instead. This ones going on 5 years old.
I'm in the same boat, don't know if you saw my current thread in this forum. You know your computer is old when you can buy the replacement processor for it (Intel Core 2 Duo) for $15 on Ebay.

Got this little baby picked out for about $322 over at PCpartpicker.com. If changing the CPU doesn't work on that one that fried, I may just end up upgrading to this. I just used to run that as an HTPC connected to my flatscreen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A6-3650 2.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($73.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Masscool Fanner-420 2g Thermal Paste ($2.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H ATX FM1 Motherboard ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6450 1GB Video Card ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($9.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($23.25 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $322.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-19 21:41 EDT-0400)
That AMD supposedly benchmarks at just above an Intel I3, I'll have USB 3.0, more HD space, HDMI-out, and Gigabit ethernet. The price is cheap because there's no OS but I have a 64 bit unused Win 7 or Win 8 I can install, not sure which way I want to go yet.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Got this little baby picked out for about $322 over at PCpartpicker.com. If changing the CPU doesn't work on that one that fried, I may just end up upgrading to this. I just used to run that as an HTPC connected to my flatscreen.

That AMD supposedly benchmarks at just above an Intel I3, I'll have USB 3.0, more HD space, HDMI-out, and Gigabit ethernet. The price is cheap because there's no OS but I have a 64 bit unused Win 7 or Win 8 I can install, not sure which way I want to go yet.
Just looking at that parts list do you really need a graphics card since the CPU has one built in? Also are you overclocking the CPU, do you really need an aftermarket heatsink or special thermal compound.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Just looking at that parts list do you really need a graphics card since the CPU has one built in? Also are you overclocking the CPU, do you really need an aftermarket heatsink or special thermal compound.
I thought the CPU would just come by itself. So you're saying it comes with the heatsink/fan/thermal compound? I picked that heatsink/fan setup because it was cheap and pretty quiet. Would the stock be just as good?

And do you mean CPU or motherboard? I know the CPU supports on board graphics but I really want HDMI out instead of just VGA hooking it up to my flatscreen. Now that you mention it, I see that motherboard has HDMI out built-in. Do you think the built-in graphics would be enough for just basic Netflix HD streaming? That graphics card was only $20 after rebate on Newegg and had really good reviews. You don't think it's enough of an improvement over the onboard graphics to justify the cost?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127584

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
I thought the CPU would just come by itself. So you're saying it comes with the heatsink/fan/thermal compound? I picked that heatsink/fan setup because it was cheap and pretty quiet. Would the stock be just as good?

And do you mean CPU or motherboard? I know the CPU supports on board graphics but I really want HDMI out instead of just VGA hooking it up to my flatscreen. Now that you mention it, I see that motherboard has HDMI out built-in. Do you think the built-in graphics would be enough for just basic Netflix HD streaming? That graphics card was only $20 after rebate on Newegg and had really good reviews. You don't think it's enough of an improvement over the onboard graphics to justify the cost?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127584
Yes, generally a HSF comes with boxed processors and when the don't the price difference is minimal. Since you are using it as a HTPC a stock HSF would be more than adequate. They usually come with a pre applied block of thermal paste. Unless you intend to overclock a "better" HSF would be a good idea.

Also look at a socket FM2 processor rather than a FM1 like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...50001028 600372025&IsNodeId=1&name=Socket FM2

Go with a motherboard that is FM2 and with the features you think you want, since the CPU has the graphics processor built in the mobo doesn't have an onboard video chipset but will have the video connections VGA/DVI/HDMI. HDMI output on a motherboard has been common for sometime: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625 600370105&IsNodeId=1&name=FM2

The video card should be something you buy if you went with a CPU or motherboard that did not have built in graphics, or you wanted something more powerful, or more outputs. You don't really need much GPU to do a single screen 1080p display.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
As long as the graphics are Nvidia or AMD. If they're Intel then pick up a low end discrete option.