Reformist candidate wins Iran Election

MalcomOopsGotShot

White House Spokesperson
May 23, 2013
FBI Surveillance Van down the street
Looks like there's less of a chance of war with Iran

Reformist-backed cleric Hassan Rouhani has won Iran's presidential election, securing just over 50% of the vote and so avoiding the need for a run-off.

Crowds gathered in Tehran to hail Mr Rouhani, who said he had achieved a "victory of moderation over extremism".

Some 72.2% of the 50 million eligible Iranian voters cast ballots to choose the successor to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

The US said it was "ready to engage directly" with Iran over its disputed nuclear programme.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei congratulated Mr Rouhani on his victory.

"I urge everyone to help the president-elect and his colleagues in the government, as he is the president of the whole nation," he said.

Ayatollah Khamenei will ratify the vote on 3 August and the new president will then take the oath in parliament.
Mr Rouhani, who has pledged greater engagement with Western powers, said: "This victory is a victory for wisdom, moderation and maturity... over extremism."

But he also urged the world to "acknowledge the rights" of Iran.
He said: "The nations who tout democracy and open dialogue should speak to the Iranian people with respect and recognise the rights of the Islamic republic."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22916174

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Dead before he takes office

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
So are my "Mahmoud I'm-a-dinner-jacket" jokes outdated now?
Here's one that never gets outdated... The ayatollah falling out of his coffin.

The crowd lost all restraint? That would assume they had some to begin with.

Graveyard

Jul 28, 2012
I'm not surprised, by all accounts Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had tanked the once prosperous Iranian economy, and all of the anti-West rhetoric couldn't change that fact. Those people care far more about money than they do anything else. Hopes and prayers don't build bombs.

HandPanzer

Vergangenheitsbewältigung
May 30, 2013
Hopefully Iran will become more secular with a "moderate" president, but the cynic in me thinks Mister Geppetto just fashioned a new Pinocchio to appease the masses.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Means nothing as long as Khamenei is still there.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Reformist my ass. Every candidate in the Iranian elections has to be vetted by something called The Guardian Council, which is quick to pull the trigger on anyone not in line with the program (what they call The Rule of the Jurisprudent). Do you really think Iran maintained a dictatorship for 45 years by just allowing real reformists to run? It's funny how the guy in the Ayatollah garb is perceived as a reformer. Yeah, because the man in Western clothing sure worked out for us, right? RIGHT?

The reason he was elected is that the candidate the reformists actually wanted - Hashemi Rafsanjani - was disqualified by the Guardian Council. That guy is no reformist either, but he's also not exactly Khamenei. The West should get each other's cocks out of their mouths and understand that the only difference between this guy and Ahmadinejad is that Rouhani will say nice things publicly and continue the shit behind closed doors.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Means nothing as long as Khamenei is still there.

In this case it wouldn't have mattered anyway because it's not like this guy is a real pro Western, pro liberty guy. It's not like he wants to make peace with the West but can't because of Khamenei. He's an ayatollah. They are ALL on the same page as far as that stuff goes.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Reformist my ass. Every candidate in the Iranian elections has to be vetted by something called The Guardian Council, which is quick to pull the trigger on anyone not in line with the program (what they call The Rule of the Jurisprudent). Do you really think Iran maintained a dictatorship for 45 years by just allowing real reformists to run? It's funny how the guy in the Ayatollah garb is perceived as a reformer. Yeah, because the man in Western clothing sure worked out for us, right? RIGHT?

The reason he was elected is that the candidate the reformists actually wanted - Hashemi Rafsanjani - was disqualified by the Guardian Council. That guy is no reformist either, but he's also not exactly Khamenei. The West should get each other's cocks out of their mouths and understand that the only difference between this guy and Ahmadinejad is that Rouhani will say nice things publicly and continue the shit behind closed doors.
Or, in short, savages gonna savage.

MalcomOopsGotShot

White House Spokesperson
May 23, 2013

You're in Israel right?

MalcomOopsGotShot

White House Spokesperson
May 23, 2013
No. From Israel but currently living in the U.S.
I see. Being Israeli you probably have more in-depth knowledge about what goes on in Middle Eastern countries than the average western person does.

I appreciate your perspective. What's your take on the events in Syria, and how they'll end up impacting Israel in the future?

Edit: I know Israelis are divided on the issue. But the few that I've talked to hope that Assad stays, since they don't want an Islamic hell-hole on their border.

Although they may not like him, he's kept the border stable during his reign, and they don't believe the Jihadis will do the same.