Refrigeration guys

I bought this small frig from home depot last year and put a tap on the side for my keg. I was having some problems with it staying cold at first last year and after adjusting the legs to keep the door extra tight it seemed to work fine.

Now a year and no warranty later and the thing ain't working right. The little freezer compartment frosted up 3 weeks ago, so I emptied the frig, pressed the defrost button, let it defrost, wiped it up and plugged it back in a few days later. It worked fine for a couple days, but now I can't get the temp below 50 and the freezer compartment is completely frosted over again.

It is in my laundry room which has an AC register, so the room temperature isn't the cause.

Any thoughts?

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
Some units have a cooling fan on the condensers. If so, make sure the fan is running and the coils are clear. May wanna take a vacuum to the coils.

Some setups are such that the evaporator coils wraps around the frame. My initial thoughts are that you somehow punctured the coil when you installed the keg, but then you wouldn't have ANY refrigeration once all the refrigerant leaked out.

Yeah I was worried about that and took extra care before drilling the hole. Plus it worked pretty well until the first time it frosted over.

I'll check the coils.

EDIT. Checked, not only are they extra CLEAN, they're not too hot. The compressor is running and I can here the refrigerant in the lines.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
I think you have a drinking problem. :action-sm

JimsInfectedEye

Eeccch, I haaaate working on those small systems, I got out of that shit many years ago. Looks like it uses the freezer compartment to cool down the rest of the box.

You may wanna give Sinn Fein a PM, I think he's in your area and does that kind of work.

Hehehe. Thanks, but Sinn's a close friend of mine and has been over. Although the only thing I think he knows about working on is the tap itself. ;)

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Warm, humid air is getting into the fridge somehow. The giveaway is the amount of frost on the mug all the way to the left.Check all the door seals by closing a dollar bill in them and tugging. The gasket should hold the bill tightly. Also check how you sealed the hole around the area of the beer lines. You should probably fill that with great stuff or some other expanding foam insulation.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Eeccch, I haaaate working on those small systems, I got out of that shit many years ago. Looks like it uses the freezer compartment to cool down the rest of the box.

You may wanna give Sinn Fein a PM, I think he's in your area and does that kind of work.
:haha7: I know very little about refrigeration outside of the basic theory of how it works.

I do have a tip though, pull it out away from the wall and get a couple $5 box fans and direct them to blow on the compressor/coil area. If it starts working better it means you probably need a new unit. When my old fridge was dying years ago I kept it running this way for a week until I could get a new one.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Warm, humid air is getting into the fridge somehow. The giveaway is the amount of frost on the mug all the way to the left.Check all the door seals by closing a dollar bill in them and tugging. The gasket should hold the bill tightly. Also check how you sealed the hole around the area of the beer lines. You should probably fill that with great stuff or some other expanding foam insulation.
yup, the cause of frosting over is air getting in. check those seals.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
man i hate you!!!!

I want a tap!!

JimsInfectedEye

:haha7: I know very little about refrigeration outside of the basic theory of how it works.

I do have a tip though, pull it out away from the wall and get a couple $5 box fans and direct them to blow on the compressor/coil area. If it starts working better it means you probably need a new unit. When my old fridge was dying years ago I kept it running this way for a week until I could get a new one.
Worth a shot. From past experience, if its fairly new and the coils are pretty clean, all signs point ugly. Doubt its the thermostat since its calling for cooling. And I'm assuming you already checked the door gasket.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
it might be getting too cold, how cold is the unit set for? if you keep turning it down it might be running all the time to try too keep up with the un needed demand, i have a beer mister converted 1950's fridge, it frosts up all the time, but it still chills the beer.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
technically beer is supposed to be served at 56 degrees.......us american's like it ice cold for some reason

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Ice cold drink is harder to taste. 56 degrees isn't warm though...it'd be luke cold.

Frankie_Ballz

wear no bag, spread the hiv
technically beer is supposed to be served at 56 degrees.......us american's like it ice cold for some reason
not really, some beers are supposed to be served at 56. but most american beers are made to be served pretty damn cold.

Bingo. The damn hinge was just loose enough to rack the door when closed. I couldn't tell this without pulling the fridge out all the way.

man i hate you!!!!

I want a tap!!
You and the lil miss will definately be on our fall BBQ invite list. Be sure to come by and take the tap for a test drive.

not really, some beers are supposed to be served at 56. but most american beers are made to be served pretty damn cold.
I keep the fridge, when working, around 35 degrees. This keeps the beer at "My" perfect temp which winds up around 40 degees when poured.

Thanks for the input fellas!

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Did the hinge bolts loosen up? if so, put a lil' Loctite Blue on them and crank them back down.

Top Bottom