Remembering 9/11

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Fair enough. Maybe what I meant is how long until nobody treats it like the national outrage it is. I guess that sounds more like what I'm thinking.
If you ever get brave enough to go to Hawaii, most of the natives still treat Pearl Harbor like it happened last week. The tour guides’ voices drop down a few notches and they get somber when they talk about it. And they still hate the Japanese, maybe now more than ever.

I think 9/11 is a little different, especially in New York. I think the country wanted and needed a memorial, but for a lot of New Yorkers it was too soon. And at the same time there wasn’t a country we could go nuke off the map for closure. It took far too long to get Bin Ladin, and it was kind of shitty and disrespectful that they built the memorial before that job was finished. The USS Arizona memorial didn’t open until 20 years after Pearl Harbor.

I don’t know if you get what I’m saying, but I think the rush to remember 9/11 made a lot of people want to forget it.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Now? For years? But it's been two decades. How long do you think outrage actually lasts? For people and for nations, it's really hard to maintain pure anger for that long, no matter the occasion. 9/11 happened a generation ago. Again, like Pearl Harbor, it's a matter of history. It's distant from us as time does to all things. There's nothing wrong with not being riled up over it.
I’m more outraged about this:

My little joke I thought up awhile ago was what wouldve happened if it happened on June 9th....we would've had to soberly refer to "6 9". "Where were you on 6-9?"'
"Never forget 6-9"
Tee hee....because 69, get it?

....I'll show myself out now
Than I was on 9/11.

Fred West

I'd say alot of what I remember from the time was Ron and Fez and O&A, people calling in crying or wondering what was going to happen next.

I give those shows a listen once every few years http://files.spreadtheonavirus.com/classicona/treeviewStyle.aspx
I think it was Opie's peak time as a broadcaster. Probably because the callers were more important than the jokes for a while.

Ronnie B seemed the most shaken. He didn't make a joke for about a fortnight, whereas Fez made more on 9/11 than he did for the entirety of 2013.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
If you ever get brave enough to go to Hawaii, most of the natives still treat Pearl Harbor like it happened last week. The tour guides’ voices drop down a few notches and they get somber when they talk about it. And they still hate the Japanese, maybe now more than ever.

I think 9/11 is a little different, especially in New York. I think the country wanted and needed a memorial, but for a lot of New Yorkers it was too soon. And at the same time there wasn’t a country we could go nuke off the map for closure. It took far too long to get Bin Ladin, and it was kind of shitty and disrespectful that they built the memorial before that job was finished. The USS Arizona memorial didn’t open until 20 years after Pearl Harbor.

I don’t know if you get what I’m saying, but I think the rush to remember 9/11 made a lot of people want to forget it.
Looking back, I think we went a little overkill on the anniversarys at first. There was the one week, then the one month, then the 6 month (I think), then the yearly ones after.

Discoman

Donator
I think it was Opie's peak time as a broadcaster. Probably because the callers were more important than the jokes for a while.

Ronnie B seemed the most shaken. He didn't make a joke for about a fortnight, whereas Fez made more on 9/11 than he did for the entirety of 2013.
Yeah, I think Ronnie B's the only one out of them that did a serious memorial show (for the 10 year with Black Earl and Billy Staples).

I don't think I know anyone that went to the museum, let alone would pay for it. The only commendable thing the museum did was not buckle to Imams that wanted references to Islam removed.

Discoman

Donator
Looking back, I think we went a little overkill on the anniversarys at first. There was the one week, then the one month, then the 6 month (I think), then the yearly ones after.
Indeed.

Edit-

Fred West

Yeah, I think Ronnie B's the only one out of them that did a serious memorial show (for the 10 year with Black Earl and Billy Staples).
Billy was an absolute mentalist in the aftermath, ranting and raving. He was watching the news 24/7 and drinking and drugging. After a few weeks, he did a (for the time) excellent parody song about Bill Maher to Edwin Starr's War. After Maher had said "We're the coward's" and calling the the terrorists "brave".

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
Well I think overkill is fitting for 9/11.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Billy was an absolute mentalist in the aftermath, ranting and raving. He was watching the news 24/7 and drinking and drugging. After a few weeks, he did a (for the time) excellent parody song about Bill Maher to Edwin Starr's War. After Maher had said "We're the coward's" and calling the the terrorists "brave".
Oh yeah, forgot about Bill's "Edgy Guy" moment

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
There are several thing that interest me about this.
1) Garfield is at a museum. He does not seem like a museum type of guy.
2) He's at the museum to see a photograph of a flag. Not a particularly artistic or unique interpretation of the flag, just a regular ol' flag. Grand, sure, but basic.
3) Why doesn't he actually look at a real flag? I'm not surprised that Jon is an unpatriotic piece of shit, but there must be some place in that town that actually has a flag.
4) Connected to 2. Are photographs in the animated Garfield world like drawing/paintings are in ours?

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator

I couldn’t do the museum for a decade. If it weren’t for relatives, I’d never have gone.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Now? For years? But it's been two decades. How long do you think outrage actually lasts? For people and for nations, it's really hard to maintain pure anger for that long, no matter the occasion. 9/11 happened a generation ago. Again, like Pearl Harbor, it's a matter of history. It's distant from us as time does to all things. There's nothing wrong with not being riled up over it.
Fuck the japs, happy?

Lord Zero

And yet the reason behind 9/11, and the wars that were started as a result of 9/11, continue. So yes, there is plenty of reason to remain riled up. I still want the US to stop pretending muzzies are the same as us, and apologizing for them at every turn.
Yeah, that's whatever and all, but what are you planning for Boston Massacre Day?

Lord Zero

The media coming in its collective pants over the rapid influx of news fodder didn't help. They got to use their entire library of somber background music in the span of two days.

THE FEZ MAN

Shockingly I haven’t gotten into a pissing match with any 9/11 truthers

i'm partial to it being anything but clear sky and unlimited visibility. The cool crisp air and clears skies just remind me of that day. I like a cloudy 9/11

THE FEZ MAN

i'm partial to it being anything but clear sky and unlimited visibility. The cool crisp air and clears skies just remind me of that day. I like a cloudy 9/11
Yea, it’s kind of funny how a beautiful day could have turned out so shitty. Like you said, it’s kind of nice that yesterday was generally shitty here, it kind of distracted from the day as a whole.