Remote connection question

reddog_2711

Jan 11, 2007
Rochester, NY
A co-worker asked me for some advice, and I'm stumped on this one since I've never worked with it before.

She wants to connect from her work computer to her home computer, and used to use PCAnywhere for this. She now has Vista, and her PCAnywhere no longer works.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what to use for this?

Thanks

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
I use GoToMyPC. $10 a month for 1 Computer. Works really good and not much lag.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Depending on which version of Vista she has, she can use Remote Desktop Connection (built into Windows) or VNC (Free). Either one will take some configuration of her router at home if she has one and for ease of use, something like DynDNs.com so she won't have to remember an IP address.

Another free option is LogMeIn Free. It is somewhat limited - but no more so than VNC. The Pro edition is $12.95 a month.

Teddy

Nov 20, 2005
Here
i use remote desktop connection (aka terminal services) i like it better then GoToMyPC and the client is bulit into every computer since xp.

to turn it on just go to the system properties and (windows key + pause break)

in vista press remote settings then click the bubble under remote desktop that says allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop.

in xp just go to the system properties and check allow remote desktop connections

the user account the person wants to log into will need to have a password on it for this to work

To connect to the computer form another computer you will first have to open up port 3389 on the server computer then you click start run and type mstsc or go to accessories and click remote desktop connection client on the computer you want to access the remote terminal from and then type the ip address in and it will work like a champ.

if you dont want to remember the ip address of the computer use no-ip.org and setup an account and download their client and install it as a service.

thelord68

Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
i use remote desktop connection (aka terminal services) i like it better then GoToMyPC and the client is bulit into every computer since xp.

to turn it on just go to the system properties and (windows key + pause break)

in vista press remote settings then click the bubble under remote desktop that says allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop.

in xp just go to the system properties and check allow remote desktop connections

the user account the person wants to log into will need to have a password on it for this to work

To connect to the computer form another computer you will first have to open up port 3389 on the server computer then you click start run and type mstsc or go to accessories and click remote desktop connection client on the computer you want to access the remote terminal from and then type the ip address in and it will work like a champ.

if you dont want to remember the ip address of the computer use no-ip.org and setup an account and download their client and install it as a service.
XP Home and Vista Home don't have Remote Desktop Connection - only remote assistance. You need to use something else.

Teddy

Nov 20, 2005
Here
you know what i dident even think of that when posting ive always ran xp pro and now use xp ultimate

in that case i would say vnc or go to my pc

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I agree with thelord68

I recommend Ultra VNC (www.uvnc.com)

Just install the server and port forward 5900 to the PC.

Then set up a dynamic DNS, I use www.no-ip.com - there you can make an easy to remember name like whatever.myvnc.com instead of using the IP address.

Gotomypc is basically the same thing, but if you can take 10 minutes and configure UVNC, its works great and its free.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
I agree with thelord68

I recommend Ultra VNC (www.uvnc.com)

Just install the server and port forward 5900 to the PC.

Then set up a dynamic DNS, I use www.no-ip.com - there you can make an easy to remember name like whatever.myvnc.com instead of using the IP address.

Gotomypc is basically the same thing, but if you can take 10 minutes and configure UVNC, its works great and its free.
Damn. I just set this up and I'm surprised how easy it was. Granted I'm doing it all on the same network and I didn't use or really understand the "no-ip" thing, it seems to be working.

I'm a little confused on the video driver I saw available at the vnc site. Not sure if this is supposed to be installed on the PC I'm connecting to. Or the laptop I'm using to connect, or both.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
i use http://www.logmein.com

they have a web browser based remote desktop ap. I love it. It doesn;t require all the port set ups or any static/dynamic ip set up issues.
Basically you go to the wesite and it logs you into your pc.

make sure you use the FREE one. It allows for remote access, but not file transfer. Copy paste of text works though. To transfer files i just open up an IM client on each pc and send the files via that...

Hey, i'm cheap and you can't use vnc w/ most workplace firewalls. this uses web ports whch as you can see are open

reddog_2711

Jan 11, 2007
Rochester, NY
Thanks for all the feedback. I've printed it all out and passed it along to her, and once she gets something up and running, I'll try to get some details from her to give an update here.

Shawn (Reddog_2711)

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Damn. I just set this up and I'm surprised how easy it was. Granted I'm doing it all on the same network and I didn't use or really understand the "no-ip" thing, it seems to be working.

I'm a little confused on the video driver I saw available at the vnc site. Not sure if this is supposed to be installed on the PC I'm connecting to. Or the laptop I'm using to connect, or both.
The Mirror Video Driver is a driver that UltraVNC (for instance) can use to be quickly and efficiently notified with screen changes. Using it on an UltraVNC server results in a excellent accuracy. The video driver also makes a direct link between the video driver frammebuffer memory and UltraWinVNC server. Using the framebuffer directly eliminates the use of the CPU for intensive screen blitting, resulting in a big speed boost and very low CPU load.
So basically, it just speeds things up and reduces load on the 'server'

The reason for the no-ip service, is because most likely the IP address is dynamic, meaning it will change every week or so. The no-ip program runs on the 'server' computer, and keeps track of your IP address. So instead of typing the IP address and changing it weekly, you always have the same address, for example arclite.myvnc.com, and that will ALWAYS be your current IP address.

Teddy

Nov 20, 2005
Here
i have always used tight vnc but i think if your connect to port 5900 in your web browser you dont need the client

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
i use http://www.logmein.com

they have a web browser based remote desktop ap. I love it. It doesn;t require all the port set ups or any static/dynamic ip set up issues.
Basically you go to the wesite and it logs you into your pc.

make sure you use the FREE one. It allows for remote access, but not file transfer. Copy paste of text works though. To transfer files i just open up an IM client on each pc and send the files via that...

Hey, i'm cheap and you can't use vnc w/ most workplace firewalls. this uses web ports whch as you can see are open
Damn you TheLord68 and TFRichard, you beat me too it. Hope Reddog is still reading this, because it's hands down the best free, no hassle set up around. You can also access your computer via cell phone, pda, and even a Nokia N800 so I would assume a PS3, Xbox, PSP, Nintendo DS, etc. (Need to access it via HTTP in the settings on the last bunch).

For file transfer I use Avvenu which is pretty effortless as well.

thelord68

Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Actually, the web client uses port 5800 to make the connection and then 5900 to pass the data. So you would need to forward both those ports.

I've used various 'flavors' of VNC over the years, and UltraVNC is the best so far. I use the SingleClick variant to allow people to initiate a reverse connection back to me so I can provide them support without them having to install any software on their end or changing anything in their router. It's just a small .exe that they can run right from my website.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I figure I'll bump this thread...

I just installed Real VNC Free Edition on both of our desktop PC's so I can use each of them remotely from the other one.

Gonna throw the software on my laptop so I can access both of them from it also. This is going to make my life much easier.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
XP Home and Vista Home don't have Remote Desktop Connection - only remote assistance. You need to use something else.
Not exactly accurate. They have Remote Desktop Connection, but only to log into a remote system. The only way to remote IN to them is remote assistance. As long as the PC being logged into is XP Pro, Vista Business or Ultimate, all is well.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
I actually was going to post a topic similar to this. I could google this shit, but you guys are geniuses and I figured I'd pick your brains for the best option:

I want to set up a server so my family members in other states/countries can connect, and get my pictures/videos/etc...

I don't want to run it off my own computer. I want to keep that separate and protected. Basically, I was thinking of getting a cheapo tower, and set it up to host files, accessible from the web. (Maybe even host a forum or something later on.)

What exactly would I need, besides a few hard drives? Would running it off Windows be counter-productive?

Anyone have experience setting something like this up?

Also... better to buy a cheapo computer? Or build it from scratch? If building, what's most important, and are there any different parts I'd need to be looking for for a server?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I actually was going to post a topic similar to this. I could google this shit, but you guys are geniuses and I figured I'd pick your brains for the best option:

I want to set up a server so my family members in other states/countries can connect, and get my pictures/videos/etc...

I don't want to run it off my own computer. I want to keep that separate and protected. Basically, I was thinking of getting a cheapo tower, and set it up to host files, accessible from the web. (Maybe even host a forum or something later on.)

What exactly would I need, besides a few hard drives? Would running it off Windows be counter-productive?

Also... better to buy a cheapo computer? Or build it from scratch? If building, what's most important, and are there any different parts I'd need to be looking for for a server?
If all you need it for is keeping in touch with family with pics and vids and stuff I think it would be just easier setting up a Myspace page.

Or use a free webpage hosting service like www.bravenet.com

www.photobucket.com has a sharing feature for pics and video and they have a new feature that lets you upload pics from your camera phone.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
No, I have hundreds of pics and videos that I'd like to just put on a computer, and let the family get to it online from anywhere.

thelord68

Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

A couple of issues:

What is your upload speed on your connection?

Do you want a nice web interface, or simple a listing of available files?

If you have a slow upload connection, you might be better off using Flickr or Picassa, etc. That way you upload once, and everyone else gets a fast download. No end-user client software, they simply have to logon to a website.

Also, you can use something like Hamachi, which is a free VPN (Virtual Private Network) service from LogMeIn. Through this method, everyone becomes part of the network and can see your machine and any directories you choose to share as if you were on the same local network. Hamachi is nice because it works through most routers/firewalls. But it does require everyone to run the client on their machine.

Another option is a private P2P network, or F2F (Friend 2 Friend) network. This will also require a client app on each end. WASTE is an example.

If you want to run a web frontend, keep in mind that many isps block the port needed for outgoing serving of webpages.

As far as the computer goes, if all you want to do is host files, then you may be better off getting a cheapo pre-built pc or refurb. Figure about $300.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
A couple of issues:

What is your upload speed on your connection?

Do you want a nice web interface, or simple a listing of available files?

If you have a slow upload connection, you might be better off using Flickr or Picassa, etc. That way you upload once, and everyone else gets a fast download. No end-user client software, they simply have to logon to a website.

Also, you can use something like Hamachi, which is a free VPN (Virtual Private Network) service from LogMeIn. Through this method, everyone becomes part of the network and can see your machine and any directories you choose to share as if you were on the same local network. Hamachi is nice because it works through most routers/firewalls. But it does require everyone to run the client on their machine.

Another option is a private P2P network, or F2F (Friend 2 Friend) network. This will also require a client app on each end. WASTE is an example.

If you want to run a web frontend, keep in mind that many isps block the port needed for outgoing serving of webpages.

As far as the computer goes, if all you want to do is host files, then you may be better off getting a cheapo pre-built pc or refurb. Figure about $300.
Not really sure if I want anything fancy on the web. Probably a simple file directory.

I already use photo hosting sites and the like. But maybe I'm not really explaining it correctly. It's not just photos.

Put it this way -- I'd like to basically have all sorts of files ready for anyone to just get when they want. Kind of like a remote connection thing, but rather than connecting to my PC, I'd set it up on a side computer that's always-on with a web-facing directory or what-have-you.

As far as uploads, I've done a few tests and my upstream is between 7-9Mbps. (Side story: I had an old router connected that kept crapping out on me. Replaced it with a new Linksys, and my speed in both directions tripled. Turns out I always had that speed, but the old router was FUBAR. It was a nice surprise seeing the big speed jump.)

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Not really sure if I want anything fancy on the web. Probably a simple file directory.

I already use photo hosting sites and the like. But maybe I'm not really explaining it correctly. It's not just photos.

Put it this way -- I'd like to basically have all sorts of files ready for anyone to just get when they want. Kind of like a remote connection thing, but rather than connecting to my PC, I'd set it up on a side computer that's always-on with a web-facing directory or what-have-you.

As far as uploads, I've done a few tests and my upstream is between 7-9Mbps. (Side story: I had an old router connected that kept crapping out on me. Replaced it with a new Linksys, and my speed in both directions tripled. Turns out I always had that speed, but the old router was FUBAR. It was a nice surprise seeing the big speed jump.)
Get a old cpu. It doesn't have to be fast. Put Slackware on it and put the files in a folder that apache serves up.

Send your family the URL and they just click and download like any other webpage.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Cheers, R. That's the direction I was headed in... Wasn't sure if it'd be more economical to build from scratch or pick up a cheap bare-bones from newegg or Best Buy or whatever...

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Cheers, R. That's the direction I was headed in... Wasn't sure if it'd be more economical to build from scratch or pick up a cheap bare-bones from newegg or Best Buy or whatever...
You can pick up a decent box that will do it for under 100 if you look on craigslist. You are running a server not a workstation.

You should be able to get a p3 800 mhz machine with a 10 gig drive for about 50 bucks. That is all you need.