Report: China targeting all 'enemy space vehicles' including GPS satellites

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Report: China targeting all 'enemy space vehicles' including GPS satellites

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

China’s anti-satellite and space warfare program includes plans to destroy or incapacitate 'every enemy space vehicle' that passes over China.

The annual report of the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, released last week, listed among Beijing's goals that of ensuring that Chinese space weapons are “conducted covertly so China can maintain a positive international image.” China has called for a ban on space weapons at the United Nations.

The report said that China also is developing civilian technology that can be applied to military space programs and is acquiring the “ability to destroy or temporarily incapacitate every enemy space vehicle when it is located above China,” the report said.

The Chinese also plan to attack U.S. global positioning system (GPS) satellites through various means, including anti-satellite weapons, high-energy weapons, high-energy weather monitoring rockets and ground attacks on earth-based stations.

One section of the report, based on public and classified briefings, concluded there was a need for more information about Chinese activities and intentions.
Research from nearly 100 Chinese sources identified 30 proposals and recommendations by Chinese military leaders “regarding the development of space and counter-space weapons and programs.”

The military is also developing stealth satellites and a space program that will “provide key support for Chinese combat forces.”

“Some of these proposals appear to have been implemented already, as evidenced by January’s kinetic anti-satellite test and earlier laser incidents involving American satellites,” the report said.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2007/ea_china_11_29.asp
When I left the Navy in '98 we were already pretty well networked through satellite communications and GPS technology. I always wondered what the impact would be if these networks were disrupted. For all it's whizzbang wonders and the accuracy and efficiencies produced, I always feared we were becoming to dependent on technology. On my last cruise, we almost exclusively relied on GPS, myself and a couple of others were the only ones to bother with a sextant and celestial navigation.

Judging from what I see on the military channel this is really a dangerous development for the military.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
How close to the GPS location did you get with your sextant?

Budyzir

Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
How close to the GPS location did you get with your sextant?
Good enough for government work! :D

Actually, on the open ocean, if I was within a nautical mile I was happy. Back in the old days, you kept the best plot you could and as you got closer to land you refined your position with Loran. Anyone remember Loran?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
And to think the Chinese would still be ten years behind if Billy Clinton didn't exchange campaign dollars for state-of-art technology, allegedly. :puke:

Budyzir

Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
And to think the Chinese would still be ten years behind if Billy Clinton didn't exchange campaign dollars for state-of-art technology, allegedly. :puke:
If I remember correctly, wasn't it Buddhist monks? And, today we have Chinese restaurant dishwashers adding to Hillary's coffers. I wonder the future exchange will be.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho

Actually, on the open ocean, if I was within a nautical mile I was happy. Back in the old days, you kept the best plot you could and as you got closer to land you refined your position with Loran. Anyone remember Loran?
Blond gal, about 5'6? I think I remember her.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002

:action-sm oo oo ooo i remember loran, as for the chinks, if they make weapons like they do every thing else, no one will be able to understand the directions, they will only work once, and they wont be able to get parts for them.......

but you can get them at a quarter of the price of Colt..... :rolleyes:

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
I agree with you, but the Chinese aren't all that modern yet. The US has had missiles able to shoot down satellites since 1977. The Chinese are just now talking about someday launching a manned moon mission. At this point we've just got to make sure that they don't gain more ground.