Report: Internet Outages Could Occur By 2010 As Capacity Stalls

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Looks like the end of the world may be coming soon...at least for some of us.

Report: Internet Outages Could Occur By 2010 As Capacity Stalls By Paul McDougall
InformationWeek
Tue Nov 20, 12:12 PM ET

Booming demand for Internet services combined with insufficient infrastructure investment could leave the Web vulnerable to brown outs within three years, a study released Tuesday predicted.

Nemertes Research said Internet providers need to invest from $42 billion to $55 billion -- or 60% to 70% more than current plans call for -- to stave off interruptions to the digital economy that could happen if the 'Net bogs down. "The next Google, YouTube, or Amazon might not arise" if the situation isn't fixed, Nemertes said.

The problem, the group said, is that bandwidth usage is outpacing infrastructure build outs. While core fiber and switching/routing technology "will scale nicely," Internet access resources could soon be overwhelmed in three to five years, Nemertes said.

The trouble could be particularly acute in North America, the researchers said.

"Rather like osteoporosis, the underinvestment in infrastructure will painlessly and invisibly leach competitiveness out of the economy," said Nemertes.

Nemertes conceded that its study, in many ways, represents a best guess at what's happening with the Web. "The Internet is almost opaque to serious researchers, even those with the necessary technical skills, integrity and desire," said the group.

That's because commercial Internet providers closely guard information about usage and technology roadmaps. "Carriers and content providers refuse to reveal their inner workings," said Nemertes, adding that it's understandable that service providers are reluctant to reveal data that might undermine their competitiveness or compromise user privacy.

Nonetheless, "we conclude by urging content and service providers to cooperate with researchers in sharing data," said the study's authors. Nemertes also said Congress should consider tax credits to spur Internet providers to add more broadband capacity.
This was bound to happen. Sorta like having one major expressway for a city that is being overwhelmed by people having cars. Sooner or later it's going to get backed up.
Looks like after 2010 people are going to have to go outside their houses. Say goodbye to Paltalk, wackbag.....

My internet ain't that great now. I can only imagine what that's going to be like.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
"The internet is not something that you just dump something on, it's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes!"

:icon_roll

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
I am sure Al Gore will fix it

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I'm just gonna get an extra hard drive just in case. I want lots of
extra pr0n around just in case it does get broken. :)

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
It's kind of akin to the memory and processing explosion that happened in the 90s. Back in the day, programmers had to operate under a limitation so they kept their programming tight and efficient. Then as more memory came to be they got sloppy. Now what's happening is with broadband tons of content providers are trying to move their content. The backbone providers and the ISPs have 2 options- keep up or throttle. A few cable outfits have taken to filtering the heavy users from their network because of this.

Americans are in love with the idea of a cheap internet. So the ISPs and backbone providers if they try and keep up end up running red or jacking costs. Look at cable again. The fast speeds they offer today were paid for by the price increases they got last decade. They still charge a ton because they are looking to upgrade again soon. Or look at Verizon. To offer their FiOS service they want to unload some states to pay for it. This is all very expensive and Americans refuse to accept that.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
And all analog TV's are going to become obsolete in 2009.

Although I'm not calling Bravo Sierra on this, I'm going to file this one under "Bill 602: U.S. Post Office will impose 5 cent email tax."

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Once the internet begins to go down, society will crumble.

foyb

Mar 18, 2007
Crawfordsville, IN
My ISP has already over sold it's bandwidth. When I got the service it was unlimited. Now, I have a 17gig/month limit down, 7gig/month limit up. It doesn't seem bad, but if I leave bittorrent or limewire on for a day, I get throttled.
I really don't see the internet slowdown being a problem here. I could see it becoming a problem in areas like japan where you have a lot of people accessing the internet in a small area, and not a helluva lot of pipes coming in.

esswhy

Ever Broken a Puerto Ricans arm for sweat pants $?
Mar 26, 2007
Bullshit. Doesn't make sense.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
My ISP has already over sold it's bandwidth. When I got the service it was unlimited. Now, I have a 17gig/month limit down, 7gig/month limit up. It doesn't seem bad, but if I leave bittorrent or limewire on for a day, I get throttled.
Same here. I stream a Slingbox and use Avvenu and Logmein to remote access my computers and TV's in Vegas and California. I also let a friend steam the TV feed from the Slingbox to an Angel fan who moved to Texas. This would suck for him.

I really don't see the internet slowdown being a problem here. I could see it becoming a problem in areas like japan where you have a lot of people accessing the internet in a small area, and not a helluva lot of pipes coming in.
Definitely. That's probably the reason they pixelate the naught bits in Japanese pr0n, to save on bandwidth issues.

UCFGavin

Feb 25, 2006
didn't they justify huge rate increases a few years back for the purposes of upgrading their infrastructure, which they didn't do...

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
The internet is overrated anyways. What do you punch little buttons and things?