Rereading the Classics

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
So I'm in a "classic" phase again, and plan on thumbing through some of my favorites. I think I'm going to start with The Histories by Herodotus (the Robin Waterfield translation). Does anyone else do this?

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I also believe I'm going to delve into some classic literature as well. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorites.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
@DREW Down your specialty is Old Norse literature, right? Will you recommend me some of your favorites?

DrewDown

All are welcome
@DREW Down your specialty is Old Norse literature, right? Will you recommend me some of your favorites?
First of all, I love the idea of digging into the classics. I'm about to do a Great Books (pre-1700) course this fall and I'm really looking forward to it. I've never read The Poem of the Cid, so I put that on the syllabus to force myself into it.

If you're looking for something specifically Old Norse that's reasonably accessible, then I'd start with

It tells the story of Sigurd, which was popularized by Wagner and then adapted by Tolkien. It's a great story, told even better in the German romance The Nibelungenlied (read both!).

If you're looking for something specifically Icelandic, which is my favorite, then you can get this volume full of good sagas relatively cheap:

Start with Hrafnkel's Saga, because it's really short and easy to follow. If you like it, then move on to Egil's Saga. It's one of the best, not in small part due to the fact that he vomits all over someone to punish him for being stingy.

That should get you started. We can go deeper if you want.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
First of all, I love the idea of digging into the classics. I'm about to do a Great Books (pre-1700) course this fall and I'm really looking forward to it. I've never read The Poem of the Cid, so I put that on the syllabus to force myself into it.

If you're looking for something specifically Old Norse that's reasonably accessible, then I'd start with

It tells the story of Sigurd, which was popularized by Wagner and then adapted by Tolkien. It's a great story, told even better in the German romance The Nibelungenlied (read both!).

If you're looking for something specifically Icelandic, which is my favorite, then you can get this volume full of good sagas relatively cheap:

Start with Hrafnkel's Saga, because it's really short and easy to follow. If you like it, then move on to Egil's Saga. It's one of the best, not in small part due to the fact that he vomits all over someone to punish him for being stingy.

That should get you started. We can go deeper if you want.
Oh jeez, I didn't realize I messed up your tag. After I read your suggestions I'd definitely like to go deeper, so I'll tag you correctly when I finish. Thanks a lot, sir.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Reading Herodotus while doing HITWBs would be such a strange juxtaposition. IN!

Atomic Fireball

Donator
I've always wondered if I could make heads or tails of Shakespeare as a mature adult, since it was completely unintelligible in high school. But I really can't be bothered to try.

I also believe I'm going to delve into some classic literature as well. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorites.
The Count of Monte Crisco?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
In order to re-read the classics I'd have to read them in the first place. Aside from the Odyssey and Iliad, and about 60% of the works of Shakespeare, my classical reading doesn't get much older than Tom Sawyer.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I go through phases of reading American classics, but will only start one when I finish the previous one and I'll get hung up once in a while. I kind of got stalled with On the Road (see what I did there?) because it got repetitive, and I'm like 62% through Moby Dick after 3 or so years.

I have five or so books I promised myself I would finish this year, and then I went and got a 60-hour/week job.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Re-reading Paradise Lost and Dante's Inferno this summer.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
I also like Arthurian Legends. Lancelot, The Knight of the Cart and Yvain, The Knight Of The Lion are two of my favorites..

DrewDown

All are welcome
I also like Arthurian Legends. Lancelot, The Knight of the Cart and Yvain, The Knight Of The Lion are two of my favorites..
You, sir, are awesome. The only non-medievalist who I've ever heard mention the works of Chretien de Troyes. Applause.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
You, sir, are awesome. The only non-medievalist who I've ever heard mention the works of Chretien de Troyes. Applause.
I'd maybe call myself an amateur medievalist, loved the stories of Arthur as a kid .

DrewDown

All are welcome
Saw this infographic on reddit and thought it should go here (quoted for size)-

Link to that page- http://greekmythcomix.wordpress.com/comic/deaths-in-the-iliad-a-classics-infographic/
Link to the Iliad- https://records.viu.ca/~johnstoi/homer/iliad_title.htm
Okay, that is awesome. I need to do something like that for the sagas. How does one go about making an infographic? Also, how does one save an infographic for sharing? I'm teaching The Iliad again this fall and would like to use that.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
@DrewDown now you have me searching the Tristan stories again...the ones I remembered were overly rich with sappy "Courtly Love" stuff...(of course that was what the professor was focusing on.)
I forgot to mention The Knight of the Parrot as a good read..Le Morte d'Arthur and Gilgamesh....

DrewDown

All are welcome
@DrewDown now you have me searching the Tristan stories again...the ones I remembered were overly rich with sappy "Courtly Love" stuff...(of course that was what the professor was focusing on.)
I forgot to mention The Knight of the Parrot as a good read..Le Morte d'Arthur and Gilgamesh....
I always want to hate Gilgamesh when I start and then love it. So good.

Malory's Morte d'Arthur is one of those books that I find difficult to get into. I appreciate what it's doing quite a bit and I even enjoy reading scholarship about it. I just have trouble getting into it.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Is that the one where she killed Kurt?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
I always want to hate Gilgamesh when I start and then love it. So good.

Malory's Morte d'Arthur is one of those books that I find difficult to get into. I appreciate what it's doing quite a bit and I even enjoy reading scholarship about it. I just have trouble getting into it.
Yeah, I can see that..Just rent Excalibur since that's what the movie was based on....

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Yeah, I can see that..Just rent Excalibur since that's what the movie was based on....
I saw that a long time ago. I didn't get it. Esp the dude in gold armor. No idea what his deal was