Rescue Me - Final Season

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Jan 15, 2007
Starts tonight of FX. I had no idea until this morning when I saw a banner ad (I guess they do work). I'm going out on a limb and predict there's going to be a fire and someone will get hurt.

I hope they don't cop out and wrap this up by having Tommy dead the entire series. Although it would make sense of why he was able to see ghosts and Jesus.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
FUCK Thank you for reminding me. I fucking sprinted to my remote.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I'll have to replay, missed the first 15.

Rescue Me is responsible for turning me into a TV series loving whore back at their first episode.

Those first two or three seasons were amazing, and even if it hasn't been white hot here lately I'll be sad to see it go.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Started out slow. Buy overall pretty good start to the season.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Looking forward to watching it later. Find the oldest daughter oddly hot.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
I hope they don't cop out and wrap this up by having Tommy dead the entire series. Although it would make sense of why he was able to see ghosts and Jesus.
He's not the only one. I forget what episode or the circumstance but he went to the FDNY psychologist and the guy said "You're not seeing ghosts are you?" and made some remark that other people have come to him with that problem. I hope Jimmy's on a lot more this season. The interaction between the two of them is what made the first couple seasons so great, in my opinion.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
He's not the only one. I forget what episode or the circumstance but he went to the FDNY psychologist and the guy said "You're not seeing ghosts are you?" and made some remark that other people have come to him with that problem. I hope Jimmy's on a lot more this season. The interaction between the two of them is what made the first couple seasons so great, in my opinion.
I think I made that mention in last season's thread that Tommy either died in the collapse or that the entire series has been some sort of a "view of things that could have been" that Tommy is having while the towers are collapsing. Corny? Sure.

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
I gave up on this show after it turned into the "Who's Tommy Gavin banging this week" show. Plus it just got far too sit-comish for my taste. The episode where they painted the bar all black was the last episode I watched.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Jan 15, 2007
I've seen every episode since day one. I got hooked but as time goes by, I'm glad this is ending. After last nights episode, I've come to realize I don't like these people. They are assholes. Tommy and Janet are the worst parents ever. I'm tired of their problems. They've turned into hipster douchebags that will never be happy.

I think Janet got the duck lip surgery. She does have nice big nipples though. I'm surprised that scene of her and Tommy talking on the bed made the air. I don't know what they were talking about, I was fixated on her very prominent nipples.

Gonzoid

The Tenacious T-Bagger
Aug 23, 2002
This God-Forsaken Place
Anyone else think Shiela and Janet were going to dyke out the way they were hanging all over each other?

I like Hoffman's theory...maybe Jimmy was the one that survived and Tommy was watching flashes of his life as the towers collapse. During last night's episode, Jimmy even said to Tommy something to that effect.

Gonzoid

The Tenacious T-Bagger
Aug 23, 2002
This God-Forsaken Place
I think Janet got the duck lip surgery. She does have nice big nipples though. I'm surprised that scene of her and Tommy talking on the bed made the air. I don't know what they were talking about, I was fixated on her very prominent nipples.
Good point...she has that "Cat Woman" plastic surgery look to her face that I found incrediblely distracting.

Gonzoid

The Tenacious T-Bagger
Aug 23, 2002
This God-Forsaken Place
I have said this before, but it annoys me that Opie thinks this show is what put F/X on the map. For his information, that would be "the Shield."

"Rescue Me" is very much like "Nip/Tuck" that had great first and/maybe second seasons and then was really spotty afterwards. Overall, the show does not flow well. It is very much like a standup comic where each scene is just an opportunity to riff from one topic to the next. Almost like Leary has a bug up his ass abut a topic and uses a scene in the show to expound on it.

Another thing, if you know any NYC fireman, none of them look at all like what Leary looks like. They all look like Lou in the first season when he had the moustache. I do not know many who wear designer jeans, DKNY boots and hair like that.

This show really has become one of the more prominent showcases of AA and alcoholic codependency than any other show I can think of with flashes of NYC Firemen's lives sprinkled in.

I am starting to think that you will find out that Leary was in purgatory the whole time.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Why the hell does Tommy have a new truck each season?

Danesy

Cute but psycho, it all evens out.
Jun 5, 2006
Satellite of Love
I have said this before, but it annoys me that Opie thinks this show is what put F/X on the map. For his information, that would be "the Shield."

"Rescue Me" is very much like "Nip/Tuck" that had great first and/maybe second seasons and then was really spotty afterwards. Overall, the show does not flow well. It is very much like a standup comic where each scene is just an opportunity to riff from one topic to the next. Almost like Leary has a bug up his ass abut a topic and uses a scene in the show to expound on it.

Another thing, if you know any NYC fireman, none of them look at all like what Leary looks like. They all look like Lou in the first season when he had the moustache. I do not know many who wear designer jeans, DKNY boots and hair like that.

This show really has become one of the more prominent showcases of AA and alcoholic codependency than any other show I can think of with flashes of NYC Firemen's lives sprinkled in.

I am starting to think that you will find out that Leary was in purgatory the whole time.
I love this assessment. I totally agree. I watched Nip/Tuck the entire time as well, even though there were only 3 good seasons. That show went off the rails too. I've watched Rescue Me from day one too, and I'm going to watch it until the end. The last few seasons have been terrible.

And I do know some NY firemen and you're right, they don't look anything like these guys. Even Leary would be considered hot by those standards! It's totally unrealistic. I'm glad he's ending it, a little too late, but still glad.

Gonzoid

The Tenacious T-Bagger
Aug 23, 2002
This God-Forsaken Place
I am at a point where I will DVR the show, read the AV Club review and then decide if it is worth watching. This show is limping towards the end,

They had a good writeup on AV about why this show has struggled so much the past few seasons. Unlike other AntiHero shows like Shield/Sopranos/Breaking Bad...Tommy Gavin is just an unlikeable asshole on every level. Other shows kind of show a background into what makes them the way they are, or explain their personalities...while the Gavin character (and whole fucking family for that matter) is just a collection of unredeemable assholes.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I wish one of the daughter's had gotten killed off instead of the son. Jesus I can not stand his family.

Cybouncer

Not Fat, Big Boned!
Feb 26, 2006
Long Island, NY
I am at a point where I will DVR the show, read the AV Club review and then decide if it is worth watching. This show is limping towards the end,

They had a good writeup on AV about why this show has struggled so much the past few seasons. Unlike other AntiHero shows like Shield/Sopranos/Breaking Bad...Tommy Gavin is just an unlikeable asshole on every level. Other shows kind of show a background into what makes them the way they are, or explain their personalities...while the Gavin character (and whole fucking family for that matter) is just a collection of unredeemable assholes.
If you knew many guys on the job in the FDNY, you'd know that his character is pretty accurate. There are plenty of good guys, but a very large % of dicks.

So far this season has sucked.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I predict Tommy Gavin will move to Arkansas and die of pancreatic cancer shortly after turning 32.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I don't like comparing this show to Nip/Tuck. As bad as Rescue Me has gotten, I don't think I've seen any show as ready to reset following an episode as that one.

The stuff at the firehouse I like, the stuff featuring any non-Tommy Gavin firefighter I kind of like, the stuff with non-lady's man Tommy Gavin I'm okay with, the stuff with Tommy's Girls is still boring.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Yeah... "This is going great.."

I thought they were going to off Franco and became mildly interested by the end of the episode.

Who is this cancer chick he is fucking around with again? Was she the woman that went running into the fire before Tommy seasons back? Leary just had to position himself to be messing around with at least one more chick before the end.