OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Research shows coddling children is bad

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mikeybot, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mikeybot

mikeybot SPANAKOPITA!!!

Pretty sure that this is something that everyone on here has known and has been saying for a long time

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/in-schools-self-esteem-boosting-is-losing-favor-to-rigor-finer-tuned-praise/2012/01/11/gIQAXFnF1P_story.html?hpid=z5

2. afternoonquil

afternoonquil Apology Ostrich

I wasn't allowed to watch captain planet (he had green hair like those punk rockers) or stay out past 6 pm

[​IMG]

Im somewhat of a hardcore dude now.

3. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Hope the helicopter parents take a clue and eat a shotgun.

4. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

I'm just a dummy, and even I can tell you that praising your kids for doing nothing will get them nowhere fast. My parents were total dicks. I would get a B, my parents would say "try harder and maybe you will get an A". I struck out when I was playing little league and "cost my team the game" according to what my dad told me on the way home.

Oh, little Johnny, you managed to only color outside of the lines 18 times....Gold star for you!!!! - This is how you raise an ineffective dunce.

5. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

There's nothing wrong with building up your kids confidence, but without losers, you can't define the winners. Therefore, if your kid is a loser, try to turn him/her into a winner. Don't just pat them on the head & tell them how special they are; that does not help.

6. PDX909

PDX909 Registered User

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wOt2iXdc4[/video]

bah.. .I can't ever get the YouTube tags right.

As a parent this was one of the funniest Carlin bits I ever saw.

7. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Sure you can. A winner is someone who gains something of value.

You're right that the way to build a kid's confidence is to encourage and help them to achieve things that have value, not by praising them. Nothing wrong with acknowledging when they achieved something by praising them, but that (along with the opposite: reproach and punishment) should serve only to teach them what is and what isn't of value (to teach them the right values).

Praise is not what builds confidence. The actual achievement does that. And it has nothing to do with losers. Confidence doesn't have to come at anyone's expense. In fact, trying to win at other people's expense tends to have some very unpleasant consequences, pretty much anywhere outside a sports competition. So teaching kids to do that will most likely backfire.

8. Mikefrombx

Mikefrombx Registered User

It is about time that this is being taken seriously my mother almost got fired from being a guidance counselor when she told a kid with 54 absences in a year that he wasn't going to an ivy league school. I have gotten written up for telling kids to be realistic with their goals.

For example I told a girl she wasn't going to be a lawyer because she yells loud and likes to argue. When she challenged that I reviewed her transcript with her privately while comparing prelaw program admission requirements. She went home and told her mother who called 311 on me saying that I was harsh and destructive to her child's self esteem. I then got a letter in my file and had to take a professional development on child psychology.

Glad to see that reason is starting to tell these kids and their parents to fuck off.

9. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Gee, who saw this coming?

Oh yeah... Him:

[​IMG]

10. afternoonquil

afternoonquil Apology Ostrich

Walt Whitman loved the cock.

I've read the wiki.

11. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Thank you! now have a reason for suing my former employer!

12. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

See, this is what a classy messageboard like this needs. A troll who knows his cultural icons.

13. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

Well, no shit.

14. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

This.

15. BeerBelly

BeerBelly Banned

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. Proverbs 13:24

what the hell does betimes mean?.....

be·times (b-tmz)
    adv.
    1. In good time; early: "A beneficent microclimate brings out the camellias betimes" (John Russell).
    2. Once in a while; on occasion.
    3. Archaic Quickly; soon.

16. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Holyfuck, the posted article does not even mention parents. Teachers ain't da dam problem. Like mikefrombx's example, it's protective parents that encourage their kids to think they're special and claw anyone that brings their kid's overinflated ego down an inch.