Rest in Peace George Jones

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130426/us-obit-george-jones/
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — George Jones, the peerless, hard-living country singer who recorded dozens of hits about good times and regrets and peaked with the heartbreaking classic "He Stopped Loving Her Today," has died. He was 81.
Publicist Kirt Webster says Jones died Friday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville after being hospitalized with fever and irregular blood pressure.
Known for his clenched, precise baritone, Jones had No. 1 songs in five separate decades, 1950s to 1990s, and was idolized not just by fellow country singers, but by Frank Sinatra, Pete Townshend, Elvis Costello, James Taylor and countless others.
In a career that lasted more than 50 years, "Possum" recorded more than 150 albums and became the champion and symbol of traditional country music, a well-lined link to his hero, Hank Williams.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I met George Jones one evening when he went to a gas station in Alabama to look at some songs the owner had written. He drove an ugly maroon Cadillac with plates that said Possum. I said hi George and he said hi and I went merrily along my way.

And now he's dead, just 3 short decades years later.

Somewhere there has to be a recording of him on an early cell phone talking to a radio show, I think, and he drives into a bridge railing and totals his car.

Off-White-Power

High maintenance, low tolerance
May 12, 2007
Shenandoah Valley, VA
When I was a teenager I worked for a collection agency and I got the account on two debtors, one being George Jones and the other, Julian Bond. We had to harass George 24/7 to pay up and he never did. Owed a ton of money and refused to settle. this was also the same time period as Gleet's post so he must have been dead broke at the time.

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
The only death fitting for a legendary lush like No-Show Jones would be if he had died on a bar stool. It seems that's where he was most comfortable.

Top Bottom